First "real" tree felling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cityevader

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Posting here because you "firewood" guys are like kinfolk compared to other forums here, plus I was felling dead standing Oak for firewood.

Anyhoo, previous to discovering this site, I've had very little felling experience, with no obstacles or hazards, and twice I've had 'em fall opposite to desired, once while I was forty feet up a sevent foot Doug Fir and had it fall backwards over me..... Iam/was the dangerous type you don't want on your property.

But thanks to this site, I've finally started to think.

Was just out on a friend's lot to cull dead wood in a fairly dense, sloped area. Had about a 14" 45-foot Oak with an uphill lean with the tangling branches of many other trees creating real hang-up hazards. Only possible landing site was the 10 feet betweed two Redwoods across the slope and about 5-7 feet downhill.
I used the newly discovered sights (thank you AS!) on my Husky 359 to make face cuts, then carefully backcut a tapered hinge with about 3" on the downhill end and 1" on uphill end, to keep it holding against the lean and pull it sideways a bit.

Yeehawwww!!!! Nailed it about 2 feet off center between them redwoods!!!!

Couldn't have done it without AS!!!

Am I still the dangerous type you don't want on your property....probably!!
But now I'm thinking things through at least!!

Good for you! Congratulations! You just did something I will never do! Cutting downed logs is all I want in my lifetime (I'm old, too old to learn how to fell a tree. And besides, I don't like heights! Ha! Ha!)

We have a travel trailer parked on a permanent site in a campground. Bought it this year. We had to almost immediately ask the campground owners to cut down 4-5 dead trees that were slightly overhanging the trailer. Trees were on a downhill slope but to boot. We were not there when he cut them down but he was cutting the logs when we got there. I walked down the slope to talk to him saying, "Let me shake the hand of the man who did NOT fell these trees on our trailer!" :)

He replied, "Yeah, missed the trailer but one of them dead limbs got your open awning..."

I told him that was the least of our worries. PS His insurance is replacing our awning.

Shari

Cityevader, Felling sites on a chainsaw ? :jawdrop: Maybe you can share this one for some of us that missed this one ?

I don't doubt you , I just wasn't aware of it either.

Last edited:
Felling sights

Most of the bigger saws have a raised line that is 90 degrees peprendicular (in theory) to the bar. So that when the bar is at the back of the front cut you can sight down the line to the lay. Then adjust for lean, limb weight, wind, incline, stray dogs etc.

Posting here because you "firewood" guys are like kinfolk compared to other forums here, plus I was felling dead standing Oak for firewood.

:clap:

Yeah, great feeling figuring things out and dropping a tree right where you wanted it to go!

Cityevader, I agree 100% about AS and the majority of its members. I've learned tons about OWB's, Chainsaw maintenence, cutting, sharpening and hopefully contributed some with my experience as well...only wish I found it years ago!

Like you, I appreciate this forum because we're all in the same boat- searching for the mother load ( free wood!) that we can sink our chains into and warm the cold winter.

There is general good attitude everyone has here in Firewood & Heating forum....no Brand bashing (Stihl vs. Husky vs. Johnny red vs. Dolmar etc. etc.)

:cheers:

i agree about the firewood forum the people its like everyone knows each other in a way. theres no real pissing matched you get in other forums :) say if you bought a new 395xp youll get a 395 sucks you shoulda got a 660. i mean come on guys were adults here.

Not to hijack but,

husky455rancher, had any chance to put any time on the 262XP?

By the way I heartily agree. There are a lot of very knowledgeable and good people on this site. It's always a pleasure to log in and read.

Take Care

swamp na not yet i havent even fired it up since i was at your place. i worked yesterday and by the time i got hime it was raining. then i had a halloween party to go to. today i gottsa go to my parents for a bit (its my birthday tomorrow :)) so maybe next week. think is i dont have much to cut anymore i did it all with the mighty 455. splittin is another story i got plenty to be split!

Anyhoo, previous to discovering this site, I've had very little felling experience, with no obstacles or hazards, and twice I've had 'em fall opposite to desired, once while I was forty feet up a sevent foot Doug Fir and had it fall backwards over me..... Iam/was the dangerous type you don't want on your property.

Was just out on a friend's lot to cull dead wood in a fairly dense, sloped area. Had about a 14" 45-foot Oak with an uphill lean with the tangling branches of many other trees creating real hang-up hazards. Only possible landing site was the 10 feet betweed two Redwoods across the slope and about 5-7 feet downhill.
I used the newly discovered sights (thank you AS!) on my Husky 359 to make face cuts, then carefully backcut a tapered hinge with about 3" on the downhill end and 1" on uphill end, to keep it holding against the lean and pull it sideways a bit.

Am I still the dangerous type you don't want on your property....probably!!
But now I'm thinking things through at least!!

Great Job, who said the tapered hinge isn't effective, certainly not anyone who ever used it. It is a standard beginner technique, a must know. Get smart, but keep the edge also, you need it when you have to run! lol.

Cityevader, Felling sites on a chainsaw ? :jawdrop: Maybe you can share this one for some of us that missed this one ?

I don't doubt you , I just wasn't aware of it either.

Most of the bigger saws have a raised line that is 90 degrees peprendicular (in theory) to the bar. So that when the bar is at the back of the front cut you can sight down the line to the lay. Then adjust for lean, limb weight, wind, incline, stray dogs etc.

I never knew I had 'em before. You just keep the line pointed exactly where you want it to land while cuttin' the face, then adjust the backcut/hinge appropriately if needed.

Latest posts

Back