First Rigging Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats the minimum diameter trees I should climb? like 5 inches? or 7 or what? thanks for all the help guys.

If your asking a question like this, you really should be getting someone else to do the tree for you. What climbing gear do you have? Have you climbed trees or rocks using gear before?

Half inch will hold your weight just fine. I would tie a rope to yourself if climbing anything smaller then that though.

Umm, a half inch may hold you if your holding onto something else and it is only sharing your weight. But way to small for life support!

The smallest you want to tie into is 3" in diameter, and rope should be at the base of the crotch...and best if going around the trunk, not the branch.

Well I did a pine once for someone that was about 5 inches wide on the top half of the tree and it was shaking like a leaf. I climbed it to top it and then tie a line in the top to pull it into a field. I was only looking for some extra thoughts and insight on it.

Zipline looks like the way to go, especially since it looks like you need to drag brush a ways....

The questions you are asking are not ones you should be asking online. You need to get hooked up with someone to show you the "ropes" The obvious inexperience that you are displaying here leads to the next question, why are you selling your self as a pro. That is simple stuff, in those pics. Not trying to be harsh, but you have no business doing that. I fear for your safety and fear even more for that persons property. This stuff is not worth getting killed over. I get it, that you need to put food on the table and often guys will take on stuff that is out of their league, this often leads to the guy getting hurt real bad and not being able to provide at all. Be careful man. Switching this to 101

No way your rigging the last tree from the first tree without those limbs swinging directly into the evergreens (before you even give it slack), you don't have enough height for the distance. Same with your first cut, guaranteed to hit the trees unless cut smaller or tip tied.

I'd go zip line depending on what it looks like where you stood for picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Yeah looking at it, I thought it may be close that is why I suggested tip tie or mid point... could also suspend them between to rigging points and use a tag line to guide them out of the way... but I was guessing he does not have a boat load of equip net or help. Not being sure on the condition of the tree or who is shock loading the drops I thought it may be better if he rigs from a remote point as much as possible... as for the first cut also would be close but looks like the evergreens are a bit behind the tree and with a proper cut should be able to swing it out of the way (yes taking it in a couple pieces is a better idea) best answer as beans reiterated is get some experienced guidance.

The most complete climber is also limited to a degree by his ground man. Will this be his first rigging job as well? It seems most green groundies either let branches run all the way down then get scared and don't let them run any which can be bad. I don't allow new ground guys to learn rigging where rigging is necessary. I climb and rig them just for a learning session for my guys these are trees that could have just been dropped.

I will try the zip line approach. Whats the minimum diameter trees I should climb? like 5 inches? or 7 or what? thanks for all the help guys.

What gear do you have to set up zip line? Hardware? Box store poly wont cut it.

Experienced groundie to run system?

Careful with dead, compromised ash. Test your TIP with really hard tugs. Check trees base for rot. Sound the trunk with hammer.

Write HOs address on back of groundies hand, in case of 911 call.

Hard to tell from the picture but if those trees are not ash, then EAB did not kill them. Before performing any work above, inspect the bases of all three trees. Is there any sign of decay? Sound the the trees to determine internal cavaties. How long have the trees been dead? Are the trees sound enough to rig off themselves? Has there been any recent construction that could have compromised the root systems? You should have answers to all these questions before you leave the ground.

could you just move some stuff around in the yard and make a landing spot? I feel pretty confident in my wood chucking skills. ask the homeowner if they had leaves. or when they last did. look for dead limbs in the top.

I talked with dblack on the phone for about an hour and a half the other night. He comes across much better on the phone than you would expect from some of his posts. He is a young guy that is attending school at Virginia Tech. He has been running his own stump grinding service for a while and thought that tree climbing looked like fun.
He sees that he doesn't really have the skills and gear needed to do this job correctly at this time, so he was going to see if the customer would wait till the end of summer. So far, most of his customers have been friends, family and folks he knows from church. It sounds like he really wants to learn, just doesn't have anyone around to mentor him. He said he has insurance, and basic climbing gear. He knows about not spiking trees except take downs.
He seems to have a good attitude towards climbing, and if he wasn't so far away, I would just drive up and help him for a day or two.
He lives off I-81 southwest of DC. Any AS tree guys in the area? Gotta be somebody here that can give this guy a bit of help.
So many young guys today just want life handed to them, this guy impressed me as one that liked tree work and was willing to work for it.
Rick

If he truly wants to learn and get into the business (and goes to VA tech), I would highly recommend him taking their forestry classes. There they will teach him the basics of climbing and rope work. More importantly they will teach how trees grow, identification, proper pruning etc.

My former boss went there, so I know it is a good forestry school. I went to psu mont alto for forestry tech, it is what got me into this field and gave me the education to do it correctly.

But it isn't a end all. When I got out of college, I thought I could climb and do it all. But some things you can't learn in school, and it is best to work with a company for a bit to expand that knowledge.

Not saying you need college education, just saying it can be a great stepping stone/base.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Yes thank you @VA-Sawyer for talking to me. I got some great advice. I have decided to wait a few months until I have more climbing experience and rigging gear to take down those trees. I am only a Sophmore at VT so I can't take any forestry classes yet because I am still in Bio and the prereq classes. I also agree that there is a balance to getting hands on education and book education. Too much of one or the other is bad.

Glad to help. I thought maybe somebody closer might take you under their wing for a bit. I didn't want to give out too much info about your case, because I respect other peoples privacy. Still, I thought folks should know that you are not some 'basket case' loser. I have a friend visiting DC right now. If I had known further ahead, I could have driven up to see him, and given you a hand. Two birds, one stone.
Hang around and keep reading. AS will give you a hand from time to time.
Rick

Ata Boy VA Sawyer! Great job lookin out for a new guy.

However, dblack may get into the climbing biz thanks to your assistance. I see it now...

Years in the future he'll be high in a half dead tree. Suns heat cooking his brain through his helmet, gnarled hands, aching back, creaking knees, bees stinging his armpits. He suddenly raises his chainsaw to the heavens (with broken starter cord) and screams "Curse you VA Sawyer!"

It's how I get even for the guy that taught me.

Oh yea, that tree will be deadly dead and rotten, with no drop zone below! And it will be windy as all get out too.

However, dblack may get into the climbing biz thanks to your assistance. I see it now...

Years in the future he'll be high in a half dead tree. Suns heat cooking his brain through his helmet, gnarled hands, aching back, creaking knees, bees stinging his armpits. He suddenly raises his chainsaw to the heavens (with broken starter cord) and screams "Curse you VA Sawyer!"

LOL, awesome.

You still painted a pretty good image in my mind.

I just finished up a session with a student. Today was his second time at actually going up a tree. It was a scraggly Black Locust with some vines. His tip was only 12 to 15' from the top. All the way up and inspect his tip. Maneuvered to each of the 3 main stems. Up and down on his friction hitch, including an inverted hang. He was looking pretty fair moving around up there. Very little 'hugging' took place.
Someday in the future, he will probably be cursing my name as well.

Latest posts

Back