First Rigging Job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dblack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys I have my first rigging job in a week and I wanted your advice on the best way to go about things. I have three trees to take down. I'm pretty sure they have been effected by EAB. The homeowner told me they do not want any of the surrounding trees damaged so I have to drop things down a piece at a time. The trees I am taking down are the larger hardwoods in the picture. I was planning on using a groundsman and a rope with a pulley (rigged to the trunk like an artificial crotch) to lower the pieces down slowly. Any advice is welcome. I don't have much experience climbing hardwoods, mostly everything I have done so far is pine. They look to be between 35 and 45 feet tall. Thanks for the help

Attachments

• IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 152
Sorry for the picture being angled it wasn't like that when it was uploaded

Only the swing set and those evergreens. Which are a pain to climb around anyway. I thought about asking the neighbor on the other side of those trees if he was ok with dropping things in his yard.

Perhaps this should be in 101. What is with all these newbys taking on jobs WAYYYY.... over their heads.
In my opinion if thats over his head he need to find a new career field... or do the smart thing and go hook up with someone to teach him from the beginning.

Okay so for me I would go up the large tree to the left first clean it up by removing the branches (indicated by the roughly 5 section or so to take out) setting your rigging spot about where I put the RED block. leave the block in that tree and get over to the next tree. Take it apart, removing all the branches, then piece out the stalk on the way down... repeat with next tree, third tree over you may need to mid point or tip tie the lower branches to clear the evergreens below. Of course you could totally take each tree apart and bring the block with you, but the height of that tree will give you good clearance and speed things up in my opinion.

yzr9.jpg

i agree. i would rig all 3 from the first tree. i would use a different order. i would remove the lower limbs on the main tree but leave the top. i find the stem being left heavier absorbs the shock better. it prevents the high frequency vibes. when your taking the last top and your in that tree, take it as small as possible. if your groundie cant let the ropes run properly, just have him hold the rope tight. if he leads it then stops it, you can be tossed side to side. remember, smaller is safer.

@Tree Pig Thank you very much this is just what I was looking for. And yes I am aware the this job is kind of over my head. I have done some very light rigging on a few loblollys but nothing like this. The way I see it as long as I go slow and keep in mind that smaller is better I should do fine. Every pro started as an amateur once but I am very grateful for the picture from Tree Pig.

No way your rigging the last tree from the first tree without those limbs swinging directly into the evergreens (before you even give it slack), you don't have enough height for the distance. Same with your first cut, guaranteed to hit the trees unless cut smaller or tip tied.

I'd go zip line depending on what it looks like where you stood for picture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't even rig it up. All of that can be cut and held. Smaller cuts can be thrown wherever you need them and won't damage those evergreens if your aim isn't up to snuff yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your going to need a retreive line for the rigging rope to get it back to you. You can use it to control the swing of the branch. You can just use a crotch as friction or a figure 8 works great! If you dont have the height to rig all from the first, do it from the middle. Or from each tree. Or cut and toss them. Its too hard to give the best plan from the internet.

I agree that it is hard to judge distances and sizes from pictures. I also tend to agree it might be stretching things to rig the third tree from the first one.
To the OP, sorry for being so harsh. It sounds like you have at least been in a tree before. It also sounds like you are aware that this job is pushing your current skill level. That is a step up compared to a few others that have posted lately. You said that all pros started out as amateurs at one time. That isn't so true in this line of work. Most climbers started as groundies dragging brush. If they paid attention, they could learn an lot about rigging, order of tree disassembly, hazards to beware of, and an overall sense of how the job is done.
They then started climbing under the direct supervision of an experienced climber. This allows the student to learn a number of climbing skills without getting killed. Once they have a good sense of the basics, they can progress on their own, adding additional skills learned from places like this, books, watching other climbers, or even from casual conversation.
The point is, the process helps prevent a climber from getting in too far over his head without experienced help around to guide him.

Another consideration is the fact that the EAB is a WOOD BORER, that weakens the wood directly and also encourages wood decay fungi. Limbs or trunks even 4 or 5 in. thick may be weak and break off if loaded by rigging or your own weight. The safest approach for you would be to tie in your lifeline to the larger tree (through a cambium saver or second line tied off at the base, with a carabiner for your tie-in on its end). Then I would cut and toss the two smaller trees, or rig the tops to the mid trunk of each using a false crotch and pulley. Then the largest tree the same way (rigging the top in several pieces, and chunking the trunk down without rigging using break cuts).

Your own safety trumps impact to the site every time!

looks like an easy zipline job with the leylands and limited space you have on the ground.

I will try the zip line approach. Whats the minimum diameter trees I should climb? like 5 inches? or 7 or what? thanks for all the help guys.

I will try the zip line approach. Whats the minimum diameter trees I should climb? like 5 inches? or 7 or what? thanks for all the help guys.
Half inch will hold your weight just fine. I would tie a rope to yourself if climbing anything smaller then that though.

Latest posts

Back