First saw poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What was the first saw you actually bought

• Total voters
First saw I ever bought was a Poulan 3400, back in 1986. Still have it too. Doesn't get used much any more, got plenty of other Poulan's to use now. :D

DCP01672.jpg

Gregg,

I got a Jonsered 2036 in 1994 when we first bought this old farm. I don't think much of it now, but back then I had no comprehension of what a real saw was. I didn't burn wood either until a couple years ago. There was no Arboristsite, Craigslist, eBay, or internet to help out. Out of ignorance, I struggled with it for a few years, cleaning up the overgrown yard and a couple big windfalls. My brother came out with a big Dolmar once to help with a large oak that fell back in the woods. It all became clear then. I felt foolish working next to him with my little Jonsered. I learned a little about saw chain from him also. Shortly after, I bought the 2171 Jonsered, then I won an MS250 at a fireman's banquet. Not much use for the 2036 anymore. I just keep it running and use it for pruning or working in and around buildings. It's small and has nice anti vibe.

First saw I ever bought was a Poulan 3400, back in 1986. Still have it too. Doesn't get used much any more, got plenty of other Poulan's to use now. :D

Gregg,

Great first saw and great today! It's the USA made rancher or farmboss, just better made!

My fat pig 029 Super was my first at 21.

"100% of Home Invasions Occur in a Home" - Sharpsburg

A Poulan MicroVibe XXV with a 14" bar. It was returned to the store I was working at because the box was missing the bar & chain. (???) I got it for $25 new, never had any fluids added. A great running top handle saw 32cc & only weighed 7.5 lbs. Still in use. Well not too often, I use the Jonsered CS2139T (39cc) or the Husqvarna 338xpt California (45cc) most of the time for 12" or smaller.

First saw I ran was my dad's Stihl S10 (56cc). It still sees a lot of use along with the Stihl S-08s(s)

029 Super @ 1993. Ran my dads saws on the farm up until I got matired and moved out.

any que what I owned??? :D first was a new 254 olympyk. one year later,YUP!! traded that for a new 264 oly. yep,still have it. clip on wrist pin exited out the exhaust one day,,putting nice groove up side of piston,,and NO mark on the cyl wall!!! new ring, piston, and base gskt,still goes to town. but the 900 series,,are much better!!!!! :laugh::laugh:

I had a homo/ lite super 12 given to me
No safety kickback no vibration control no frills it was heavy it was loud it would get really hot it Had the thumb oiler and used it reluctantly for a couple months till it crapped the bed. ..so after doing research I bought a Stihl. 290 and then I realized how a good saw is supposed to cut I modified the muffler by adding some holes to allow it to breathe better then tuned the carb and it really came to life. ..I have cut without a lot of different guys so I had a good idea what options are out there and tried many models ..the only other 50-60 cc saw I was impressed with is a dolmer
Those saws run great in the cut like my
Farm boss . Newer Huskys and Johnny reds didn't rev out and seemed down on power

Last edited:
Purchased house in 07 with a fireplace. Purchased two loads of wood for that winter and that was enough of that. Picked up a new Husky 455R and went to town getting wood. Back yard was full and I was not having much luck with the mauls. Met a guy on CL and we hit it off. He let me use his Lickity splitter to get through it and now he is my best friend. Sold that saw last year due to the 365 special being my go to saw.

The rest is history.

A 42cc Craftsman/Poulan - basically a Wild Thing in more subdued colors.

When I bought the house in '05 I found an old McCulloch with a 14" bar in a trash can at a swap meet. That saw fired up right there in the parking lot so I used it for several years. The first spring after my back surgery I tried to start it and the pull cord and throttle cable both broke. Hit the 'net and found parts were nearly not available (used throttle cable for $30!!!) so I found the lightest saw I could afford on Sunday at Lowes which was a Poulan Pro. That was '05 I think. I've had to adjust the carb, adjust the coil air gap, and I've modified the baffle some. I can run the saw as many hours as I can stand up without it giving any problems and it cuts as much wood as I can load so that makes it a good saw.

I was given a Stihl and a Husky by a dying friend a few years back. Funny how something as silly as "I want you to have my saws" can mean so much. But the Stihl was too heavy for my poor back so I "sold" it to a guy that will probably owe me the money forever. He's a decent guy so no worries. I did my best to rebuild the Husky 238 but I haven't found a replacement auto oiler so that saw doesn't do any work yet. Other than that I have a Worx electric that I bought two years ago for working the woodpile. It's nice and light and it cuts nearly as fast as a gas saw. That's been a good tool.

Pioneer P-42 , it was a year old when I bought it at the dealer. Traded it a few years later on a Jonsered 535 new . I was at a dealer friday , he had a P-42 on the rack said the owner never did come pick it up . Hmmmmm

Moved from the city to the country on 13 acres with and old farm house and my dad said boy you had better get you a good saw. He and I went the same week and I bought a Stihl Ms 290 Farm Boss. 2 days later 2 50 foot tall trees fell in the front yard. Dad always had a way of knowing something. No I have MS 211C and MS 362. Have 2 boys that love to cut wood and we use all 3. We can take some wood down quick(picking it up is the problem).

First saw was a Craftsman 3.0 that I bought around 1985 or so. I used that saw a lot doing side work and cutting for my dad and my buddys deer camp. Bought a woodburner around 2000. Used the Craftsman for a few years then realized I needed 2 saws. Bought a Jonsered 2150. After I realized that the Jonny was onlt as good as my Craftsman I found this site and you know" THE REST OF THE STORY"

Next saw was a Jonsered 2065. Then an Olympic 945 Then a 264 and so on. Still have the Craftsman but its sitting now in need of fuel lines and a good cleaning.

Latest posts

Back