First saw poll

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What was the first saw you actually bought

• Total voters
First saw I bought was a Homelite, about 30 years old when I purchased it. I got a new saw and gave it away, although now I wish I still had it. Now I have a Stihl MS192T, definitely need to pick up a bigger saw soon.

husky 35, the old no plastic, no brake one... had a garage to build and some windows to make bigger. didn't [don't, I dunno why...] like circ saws... sold to friend 25 yr ago, that still has it and its still runnin... he's talked about givin it back... we'll see...

First saw I bought was a Homelite, about 30 years old when I purchased it. I got a new saw and gave it away, although now I wish I still had it. Now I have a Stihl MS192T, definitely need to pick up a bigger saw soon.

You in luck! There's a nice looking xl12 in the trading post now for cheap bucks.

015 stihl for clearin the brush where i live today. was in '78 i think. was 21 at the time. $175 new and yup, i stihl got it. prolly start right up iffn i was inclined to mess wit her.

First saw actually purchased was included in a house sale, it was a home light XL.

First saw purchased, after using said saw and doing a little research was a jonsered

husky 35, the old no plastic, no brake one... had a garage to build and some windows to make bigger. didn't [don't, I dunno why...] like circ saws... sold to friend 25 yr ago, that still has it and its still runnin... he's talked about givin it back... we'll see...
and here it is doing one of those jobs, scanned last nite for the "run a saw in the house" thread...house.jpg

My wife bought me a poulan so I guess that would be technically first. The first one I actuallly paid for was a 362.

Last edited:
Grew up with an xl12 and an 015. My first saw purchase was a husky 55. Couple years later it was a 372 xp and that's when CAD struck. It was a slippery slope after that.

First saw was a Craftsman 3.0 that I bought around 1985 or so. I used that saw a lot doing side work and cutting for my dad and my buddys deer camp. Bought a woodburner around 2000. Used the Craftsman for a few years then realized I needed 2 saws. Bought a Jonsered 2150. After I realized that the Jonny was onlt as good as my Craftsman I found this site and you know" THE REST OF THE STORY"

Next saw was a Jonsered 2065. Then an Olympic 945 Then a 264 and so on. Still have the Craftsman but its sitting now in need of fuel lines and a good cleaning.
and the 999,,is just for cleaning up limbs,right??? :ices_rofl:

Fist saw I bought hmmm... I think it was an 084avqs from the boards here, needed something "bigger" How funny is that? Dad died in April and had left my step mom with about half the wood she needed for the year so about late may I started to cut and split just like Dad did. He left me with a crapsman ( which I HATE--only used it once) a stihl 044 10mm :) which is what brought me here :rock:.

I grew up using my dads 630 super. Mine was the 2159. Bought it new '07 and once I found this place, I added 3 more last year. :clap:

Stihl 025 in 2003. Used a husky to start then I was given my grandpas Stihl and that was the end of brand shopping for me.

The first saw I remember buying (can't be sure there might not have been something before it) was a Homelite 330, in the mid eighties. I used it to build crosstie walls and steps. It is sitting up now; I think it needs that carburetor plate thingie that I have read about on here.

The cheaper the crossties, the harder it is on the saw and the harder it is to build a good wall. Pressure treated 6 X 6s are so much nicer, and look better too.

Other saws since then. Everything on the list except McCulloch and Sachs/Dolmar including several "others".

Stihl ms 260, pawn shop special, its been crushed twice and dremelized since then but I still have it and it still lives in the skidder.

Started with homelight 150 something when I was 6, played with damn near everything else in between.

Poulan 2300 cva. Found it in my G-pas shed not running. Took it home, got it running. I still use it as a trail saw. It's light, respectably grunty for its size, buts it's a biatch to start...

husky 350 in 2005. Then a 357 in 2006. Clearing pasture of hedge and cedar so I bought a second 357 in 2010. I am now a new owner of the 372xp. I have used it for a lightning struck 40" oak. I put a 32' bar on the 372, chisel chain Non skip .58 and I cut slabs and rounds no trouble. I worke it slow and steady. I doubt I will ever need a bigger saw here in Kansas. I run it with a 24" bar for the bucking. I think I will drop down to a 20" only to keep the tip from hitting the ground when bucking the 20-7" stuff. I am not tall enough for the 24” to be comfortable. The saw has great power but I am still trying to fine tune it. Runs rich and stalls when I rotate it on its side. I have the low turned in as far as the limiter allows and the high as low as I dare. I rip the big rounds so I can lift them.

Back