First time climbing.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian13

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got to climb a pine tree for the first time. Another member here Ozzy42 offered to help me and walk me through tree climbing and removal. I had a blast, was the most fun I have had since my kids were born. Still have a lot to learn and definitely not ready to go out unsupervised, but have a lot better understanding of how it works. I have a lot of respect for the guys who do this day in and day out, takes a lot of strategy and conditioning. If you run into Ozzy42 hit him up with some rep for helping me get started!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks, it was a blast. Eventually I want a job doing this. I am a full time Fire Fighter, and want to do this on my days off. Just got to find a job as a groundie with someone willing to work with me.

Thanks, it was a blast. Eventually I want a job doing this. I am a full time Fire Fighter, and want to do this on my days off. Just got to find a job as a groundie with someone willing to work with me.

well it sounds like u got the right idea. "i wanna b a climber so i will c about getten some work as a groundie" and NOT " i wanna be a climber so give me a groundie!!" There have been some threads with some folks who kinda get it backwards. U sound like u will do just fine.

Thanks, the problem I am having is everybody down here right now wants a climber. Not someone they have to teach. I really enjoy working with a chainsaw. I am more than happy to start on the ground cutting and dragging brush. I am just happy if I get to use a saw. Its work, but its fun work.:cheers:

well it sounds like u got the right idea. "i wanna b a climber so i will c about getten some work as a groundie" and NOT " i wanna be a climber so give me a groundie!!" There have been some threads with some folks who kinda get it backwards. U sound like u will do just fine.

X2

Welcome aboard Brian, you got the right idea bud. Best of luck to you!

:agree2: That's the main reason I was willing to help .He has his mind in the right place.

That was a pretty tough tree for a newbie,and he listened very well.

Good job Brian.:cheers:

BTW You forgot to tell them that I broke your 44 the first time I used it.LOL

:agree2: That's the main reason I was willing to help .He has his mind in the right place.

That was a pretty tough tree for a newbie,and he listened very well.

Good job Brian.:cheers:

BTW You forgot to tell them that I broke your 44 the first time I used it.LOL

LOL I dont consider a broken pull cord breaking the saw. If a quick field repair will fix it it was never broke. It just wanted a break LOL.

Here are the rest of the pics. Bill was demonstrating how to chunk the tree down safely, using the climb line as a second lanyard.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

FL West Coast

Man you have some world class climbers over there. There are several companies that i would not mind working for in Tampa. Sounds like you got the climbing bug now.

Another guy with the bug..LOL and I agree with TreeAce..he wants to learn how to work the ground before getting off of it..learning how to be a expert groundie is esential before you can climb...I worked the ground for 3 yrs learning how to work a portie and a rake before I ever got the chance to put my saddle on...thank god I have 2 great groundies..one is a fellow climber I'm always using as a 2nd pair of eyes to judge where to set that line or remind me not do something boneheaded..LOL anyways..welcome to the asylum for those of us with this terminal illness!

Merry Christmas!!

Looks like the photos are gone, and I cant edit the original post so I will try again.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I originally used the url from the thread I started in the chainsaw forum, this time I uploaded the images. Hopefully they will stay this time.

man, it looks like you are having a great time!!! and the weather there looks great!

Man you have some world class climbers over there. There are several companies that i would not mind working for in Tampa. Sounds like you got the climbing bug now.

I did have a blast. Weather was great, wasnt hot and it wasnt cold. Just cool enough I never broke out into a sweet. Cant ask for much more than that. I am about an hour south of Tampa, still a lot of tree service companies in the Sarasota Bradenton area to.

Another guy with the bug..LOL and I agree with TreeAce..he wants to learn how to work the ground before getting off of it..learning how to be a expert groundie is esential before you can climb...I worked the ground for 3 yrs learning how to work a portie and a rake before I ever got the chance to put my saddle on...thank god I have 2 great groundies..one is a fellow climber I'm always using as a 2nd pair of eyes to judge where to set that line or remind me not do something boneheaded..LOL anyways..welcome to the asylum for those of us with this terminal illness!

Merry Christmas!!

LOL this just started as an idea to get my saw fix and get paid. I dont get to use my saw all that often, and I really enjoy using them. I always have fun. Now that I have been up in a tree, I want to climb too. Either way if I can find a job with a tree service, I will have fun doing what ever job I am assigned. Dont want to start out climbing, I only have a taste of it with far far far more to learn. But someday I would like to be a dependable climber.

Slash Pine??

I remember the south..

Yes sir, that was a Slash Pine and all the sap that goes with it. I was pretty sticky when I was done, but I smelled good LOL.

Merry Christmas to all.

Latest posts

Back