First time homeowner... first chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferdinand

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a new member here and figured I'd introduce myself . I have frequented this forum for the last year or so and finally decided to join. I recently bought my first home on 1.5 acres with a good 50/50 split between woods and grass land which is surrounded by woods. For some reason, which seems to be common in this town, a lot of the trees seem to have been choked out by vines and the woods are full of dead and/or fallen trees. I'd like to clear up all of the fallen trees on the property and need to buy my first chainsaw to do so.

I'd estimate about a dozen or so fallen trees need to be cleared to make a useable space to even walk through, and eventually be able to ride my ATV. I prefer to buy instead of rent or borrow because we also have 80 acres upstate near the Adirondacks with about 50/50 split of fields and woods also. I'd like to clean up a few of the trails. The size of trees I'd cut in both locations likely won't exceed 18" or so except for a handful that have already fallen.

Unless you all suggest otherwise, I tend to prefer purchasing a used pro tool than a new homeowner grade tool. I also like to "buy once" and not have to buy a new replacent tool every couple of years. My father has an old Homelite which is a monster...when it wants to run. He tends to spend more time trying to start it than actually running it. I'd like to avoid that.

Would $200 for a used pro saw be a realistic budget, or would I need to bump it up to $250-$300 to get something decent like a Stihl or Husqvarna? Should I go with a 16" or 18"?

I bookmarked an old thread about a year ago but I think the last post was from 2012 so I don't know how relevant or up to date the info is. It also appears that nmurph is no longer an active user so buying a used/modded saw from his is out of the question.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/best-chainsaw-in-the-300-catagory.191390/

For $300 you can get a decent used saw. For $400 you can get a new Echo 590 which will certainly cut everything you will come across. The trading post on here is normally a much safer place to shop as established members normally will not stiff a fellow member with a bum saw. Can't say that with CL or Ebay.

Dolmar 6100. Personal favorite saw, I love mine and it is my go to. I got mine in September or October and already wore out the factory bar. Stihl 260, 361/362 are also good saws. If you are relatively inexperienced I would avoid bigger then 65 cc. I think a used Husqvarna 365 is an excellent option, and probably better then a new 6100 (they don't often come up for sale used for a reason). 365 is a bit heavier, but a fair amount stronger.

The 6100 is the cool kit on the block right now. They are the hot to trot ones and go quick. The 365 husky is not novel or new, and for that reason will go for less. They are very available and parts are CHEAP and common. I would budget for chaps, hard hat, file guide, files, spare chain, wedges and the like.

Stihl 026 would be good for you.Pro grade saw.Can run a 20' BAR with .325 pitch chain.Just don't bury the whole bar regularly and you will have a nice,light saw with all the power you really need.A 362 would be great,too but will be a little heavy for just trail clearing.Buy yourself a pair of saw chaps.Had too many "almosts" myself.
I have both the 026 and a 362.I like them both for what I use them for.Small stuff upto occasional large gets the 026.Large cutting and some other gets the 362. Also have an 028 AV which is almost as good as the 026. Learn to sharpen your chain and touch it up every tank of fuel or when ever it starts to loose its cutting.Don't wait until it won't cut.Takes too long to get it right.
I like the Stihl brand Ultra 2 cycle mix.And,if you can,use non-ethanol gas to mix with.
As you can tell, I like Stihl.If you have a good dealer for Husqvarna or Jonsered nearby,they have good saws,too.

For a first time saw I almost always suggest a good 40cc saw. You can find used ones fairly reasonable and new for under $350. Dolmar 421, echo 400, husqvarna 445, ect. They are vary easy to handle, easy to start and reliable tools that can handle many jobs.

Don't get me wrong. Yes, there are some good used saws for sale. It helps a lot if you know the person you buy from. For the most part though, you won't.

You buy a used saw, good chance you are just buying someone else's headache. Chainsaws usually take a good beating. Many of them are improperly used and outright abused. You can't always tell by looking at them.

I'd be surprise if you found a decent used saw for $200-$300. You might......who knows.

I'd just pony up the money and buy a new one. And don't buy one too small. If you do, you'll end up regretting it most every time you fire it up.

40-50cc New. 18" Bar 300-400 dollars. Most importantly get yourself some good safety gear.
I will second the Echo or Husqvarna. Easy to start. Quality saws. I wouldn't recommend buying used unless you already know a lot about saws. You'd need to check them for scored pistons and be prepared to rebuild the carb and so on.

You buy a used saw, good chance you are just buying someone else's headache. Chainsaws usually take a good beating. Many of them are improperly used and outright abused. You can't always tell by looking at them.
Agree partially but have you seen the endless line of shelf queens that go through the trading post here!

Good deals can be found. I picked up very nice running shindaiwa 360 for $40 on Craigslist and a good running echo cs-680 for $70 at a pawn shop. A Mcculloch pro Mac 10-10s that needed only a flywheel for $5. A running pro Mac 610 mcculloch for $10 etc. The mccullochs came from yard sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, I'm a new member here and figured I'd introduce myself . I have frequented this forum for the last year or so and finally decided to join. I recently bought my first home on 1.5 acres with a good 50/50 split between woods and grass land which is surrounded by woods. For some reason, which seems to be common in this town, a lot of the trees seem to have been choked out by vines and the woods are full of dead and/or fallen trees. I'd like to clear up all of the fallen trees on the property and need to buy my first chainsaw to do so.

I'd estimate about a dozen or so fallen trees need to be cleared to make a useable space to even walk through, and eventually be able to ride my ATV. I prefer to buy instead of rent or borrow because we also have 80 acres upstate near the Adirondacks with about 50/50 split of fields and woods also. I'd like to clean up a few of the trails. The size of trees I'd cut in both locations likely won't exceed 18" or so except for a handful that have already fallen.

Unless you all suggest otherwise, I tend to prefer purchasing a used pro tool than a new homeowner grade tool. I also like to "buy once" and not have to buy a new replacent tool every couple of years. My father has an old Homelite which is a monster...when it wants to run. He tends to spend more time trying to start it than actually running it. I'd like to avoid that.

Would $200 for a used pro saw be a realistic budget, or would I need to bump it up to $250-$300 to get something decent like a Stihl or Husqvarna? Should I go with a 16" or 18"?

I bookmarked an old thread about a year ago but I think the last post was from 2012 so I don't know how relevant or up to date the info is. It also appears that nmurph is no longer an active user so buying a used/modded saw from his is out of the question.

http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/best-chainsaw-in-the-300-catagory.191390/
45 to 60 cc with a 16" 3/8 pitch bar is easy to tote around and less cutters to maintain then a longer bar or .325 pitch. I have been seeing an abundance of 025 stihls on ebay and it appears many decent looking are selling under $200. Not a true pro saw but I have found them very reliable saws easier to handle then most saws above them. Lot of great saws out there that do some things better , cost more or less, etc. What it sounds like you are doing I think 1 would fit most of the work very well. If you are making a lot of big cuts upwards of 12 to 14" logs or trunks you might best step up to a good 50 to 60cc saw. You don't necessarily need a pro saw but some of the non pro saws made to sell at the box stores are built pretty cheap. Stihl, Echo, Dolmar and some of the Husqvarna and Jonsered are good non pro saws,built well enough and plenty reliable for maintaining your own property, farming, ranching, firewood etc.. Its not like your running them 40 hours a week. What ever it is the biggest concerns should be maintainence . If you keep a sharp chain, keep the air filter clean, fresh clean gas properly mixed with a proper tune most chainsaws keep going. Fail any one of what should be routine, will lead to problems and a lot of folks will blame the chainsaw manufactor for their learning curb.

I have a poulan 3400 in Craftsman grey. Bought it to give to a friend who is now moving and won't have a wood burner at the new place. New carb kit lines and filter. If I can get the oiler working its yours for the price of shipping. Bought to be given to someone that needed a solid saw sounds like you could use one.

I just bought one of the Maruyama MCV51 off Amazon. ( 2013 production Dolmar 5105s ). $329.99 delivered - no shipping or sales tax charges. Lack of dealer support may or may not be an issue. I had never heard of Maruyama until these were brought to my attention. It's a lot of saw for the money. Sorry but I am unable to post a direct link. Perhaps someone else can?

My preference runs entirely different from everybody that has posted so far but my suggestion would be to check out some of the local saw shops and see what they have for trade-ins. There's a small engine shop near me that carries a dozen or so trade-ins most of the time. You might find a good pro saw among them. Some equipment rental stores have various saws to try out also. If you have some mechanical knowledge you could make out fine with a good used saw. If not, then new and learn how to maintain and operate a saw safely.

Back