Fiskars: Check out new series of axes...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's always a problem for me when I'm wearing gloves.

I did notice one major change though, I think I'm going to like it.

Did anybody notice that they beveled the top and side edges of the wedge?

I always have a problem getting it out of wood if it goes in past the top edge of the flares. Those "sharp edges" grab and hold on. I think those beveled edges will make it easier to remove from a pieces of wood that didn't split.

About time they did that, it was the first thing i did with the fiskars i had !!

I certainly hope we can hit a gtg someday. Would be a lot of fun.

That would be a lot of fun indeed! If you are ever up around Terre Haute IN, let me know. Bring your 45 and I'll supply the ammo and the range ;) We'll have a great time.

I have to admit that my competitive edge has gotten a bit dull in the past 3 years. Starting a family has taken most of my time. My daughter is turning 3 next week, so a 22lr match barrel is going to have to be purchaced for my Contender frame so that I have something for her to shoot at the range. She has an AR lower already, but I haven't started on the upper yet. I'm thinking I may steel her lower for a long range space gun, and go buy 3 more with sequential SN so that her little brother, her, and myself all have a matched set. Maybe I can talk mama into one too... Oh the things I could waste money on :)

That would be a lot of fun indeed! If you are ever up around Terre Haute IN, let me know. Bring your 45 and I'll supply the ammo and the range ;) We'll have a great time.

I have to admit that my competitive edge has gotten a bit dull in the past 3 years. Starting a family has taken most of my time. My daughter is turning 3 next week, so a 22lr match barrel is going to have to be purchaced for my Contender frame so that I have something for her to shoot at the range. She has an AR lower already, but I haven't started on the upper yet. I'm thinking I may steel her lower for a long range space gun, and go buy 3 more with sequential SN so that her little brother, her, and myself all have a matched set. Maybe I can talk mama into one too... Oh the things I could waste money on :)

I sure will. Best I can remember there is a big ol prison up there i believe. we had a couple fellers from up there a workin with us in the NC Division of Prisons. Good guys....Good talkin with ya man.

The X25 is going to be in the Uk in Jan but no sign of the the X27 yet.
The super splitter wasnt available in the UK BTW

And theres been more deer shot in Scotland with the .270 than every other calibre put together, Its the legal MINIMUM for night shooting here also the Forestry commission use it as the minimum as well.
Me i can manage just fine with a .243. which is the minimum for daytime shooting of Red deer.

does anybody know an e-shop that sells FISKARS X27?

thank you

I just purchased the X27 (7884) from Amazon.com: $49.99 w/free shipping & no tax. The packaging was just paper and the ax was in the box with a bare blade. The sheath was in the box, but it wasn't protecting the blade. In transit, the sheath got nicked and the blade had a small ding. Quite a dangerous way to ship it. The replacement, with mounted sheath, was in better shape. The packing material was still flimsy paper.

The ax is about as effective as a maul or a regular wing-tip splitter. The light weight makes it less tiresome and is easier on my shoulder joints. It does not go through wood like a hot knife through butter. It's still work, but easier work.

I agree with another comment: if the X27/7884 doesn't split it, get out the chain saw. No more wedges: a bead of metal from the maul or wedge shot out and got me in the chest - ouch.

You will love that axe I predict. I bought a X27 this year and it's the best cutting axe I have. It out cuts my Granfors Bruks 6lb splitting maul and a Condor winged splitting axe as well, all while weighing less. The non-stick coating seems to really help it not stick in wood and acts as a lube letting it go in the wood much further than a 4&1/2 pound axe normally would. the non-stick coating is wearing of on mine and it still cuts just as good as new. Fiscars really got it right with this one.

For my use, the old one has felt "perfect" - but I guess I will take a look at the new one at some point......

I seldom split wood that is sitting directly on the ground, as I don't like hitting it with the axe.

Hey troll, the only way that you can split wood with an axe is to hit it. Sorry couldn't help myself. JR

Well I got so excited reading this thread that I ordered one of the 36 inch models. I got it from Baileys since they are a sponsor, and also have a great price. I bought one of the axes several months ago and was so impressed that I decided that I should have a splitting axe also. Only thing that I don't like about the axe that I have is that the handle is a bit short, I'm 6'3" and another few inches would be nice. JR

Yes, but that doesn't make it a great caliber! ;) :biggrinbounce2:

More than great IMO. Range isnt everything. When I'm hunting these eastern thickets, I'll take a 30-30 over any type of magnum you can give me. Now, I still like my 45-70 better than the 30-30 because it has more knockdown power, but a 30-30 is a perfect mountain hunting rifle IMO. ;)

EDIT: Lol, did'nt realize this thread was out of date. Don't want to stir up a pot thats been put away long ago. still like 30-30s though. :D

Last edited:
I don`t like everything Fiskars has to offer;
axes are ok, the ghizmo that allows you to cut branches far from reach, only some branch cutters and scissors etc.
some vine scissors are just crap
overall, Fiskars is indeed great.
:)

Latest posts

Back