Fiskars Pro Splitting axe anyone?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Streblerm

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm talking about the 2.25# splitting axe with the wedge shaped head, #7859. This was the first Fiskars that I purchased about three years ago and I was really impressed by it. I was impressed enough that I bought the 28" SS and then the X27. Fast forward a few years it has been collecting dust, overshadowed buy it's heavier and longer handled brothers.

Long story short my hydraulic splitter is on loan and I decided I wanted to split a little wood this weekend while there was a little freeze in the ground. I pulled the pro splitter out of the corner and decided to give it a shot. I figured I'd use it on some of the easier stuff and save a little energy vs the SS. I intended to split maybe 1/2 cord or so and call it a day. Well, I never pulled the other two out of the shed. I split close to two cords of a mix of oaks, ash, silver maple, and hackberry on Saturday and Sunday. the bulk of it was 20-30" rounds. I was halving them along the natural cracks and then splitting off nice square chunks, not even working around the outside. What's going on?

There are few things at work here. First, It was cold. As cold as it has been all year. The wood was cut in late summer/fall so it has been sitting for a few months and some cracks were opening up. I think my technique with the Fiskars has improved and my accuracy with the lighter splitting axe was allowing me to put the hits right where they needed to be with a good wrist snap. Last, perhaps I've overlooked what an awesome splitting tool this thing is.

I went from an 8# maul to this and then settled on the SS and X27 because they were more of a compromise. Going back to the lighter splitter I am thinking it will split 90%+ of what the others will do.I threw a couple of pieces off tho the side that the splitting axe wouldn't touch. I'll report back whether or not the other splitters work on them. I kind of doubt it though. It looks like the splitting axe may be my new favorite splitter. I will have to do a little more head to head but it is looking like speed is edging out mass.

I was thinking cold + technique before you mentioned it.

I use my pro as a utility ax -- clean branches off blocks that I missed with the saw, drive felling wedges in not-overly-large trees.

just for kicks, I was splitting rounds laying sideways in the pile, baseball bat style. I also split quite a few 8-10" rounds that were 3-4' long. It was like I could do no wrong. In the fall all that silver maple was almost unsplittable with a Fiskars. You would just bury it in the wood in October, like pounding a nail.

One thing is for sure. My hands, elbows, and shoulders don't feel like I split two cords. This is a tool that is definitely going back into rotation.

Yeah, when I have red maple that's grown with "wet feet" ... I loathe splitting it until it has frozen solid.

My "dry feet" red maple up on the hill top will split easily when green. But the ones in the swampier areas or drainage swales grow with a twisted grain and you can see the water squeeze out as you strike it.

Back