Fiskars X27 What a Piece of Plastic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you designed a maul head the way the kid did it with the stacked and welded plates, but left some inside ones with hollowed out middles to fill with shot deadblow style, how well would it work?

Silly video. It's like someone saying, "See, my Chevy Volt won't pull my 5th wheel trailer! What a piece of ____!" No tool does everything. I would have split that first into sections with a sledge and steel wedges. But I will bet that there are guys who could still do better with their Fiskars by working around the edges, instead of looking like they are trying out for the next 'Thor' movie.

I have a fiskars and it does two things really well, one is it gets stuck and two is it does nothing.

Hey, post it up on CraigsList and get some of your money back!

Philbert

If you designed a maul head the way the kid did it with the stacked and welded plates, but left some inside ones with hollowed out middles to fill with shot deadblow style, how well would it work?
I imagine much worse than a maul head of the same weight but of more slender design. Kind of like having a .50 caliber slug that was hollow. Fiskars is like 5.56 NATO. MEGA maul is like a 45/70.
I'm probably just talking out my arse, though. :laugh:

I missed the part where you had the hollow void filled with shot. I guess like a dead blow hammer? Hmmm.

I think I'll try it and find out. Top and bottom plates may be the only solid ones joined by a pipe for the handle to run through. Then a cavity inside. Shot may disintegrate from the abuse of repeated impact who knows?? swamp, how is it like a slug? I don't copy ya yet.

OK saw the edit haha. Now we're on the same page.

Just real heavy, large diameter and relies on its weight, where as a 5.56 is very light and small caliber bullet and relies on its speed.

In my mind, that's how I compare light sharp axes with heavy blunt mauls. Like I said, I could be completely off here.

I don't believe the shot idea would work well, it would dissipate the impact more than it would help push it through.

In my opinion the best compromise would be copying the fiskars design but making it longer to add the weight you desire, but anything over 12 lb is overkill on your body. If you study the fiskar splitter you will notice all of the force is concentrated in 1 corner of the head.

It is very hard to design a manpower splitter that does everything well, too narrow it gets stuck easy, too wide it bounces off.

I do know this design is not the answer.

Standard tsc maul head with 1" solid handle 32" long, It was made by my dad because I broke too many wooden handles before we got a hyd splitter.

Maybe the shot needs to go inside the handle. Time for some research and development. Where is @Chris-PA when a guy actually needs him????

In the Tom Clark video the guy who invented his own axe/maul, he said he hit the round with a 30 deg turn in the head. Maybe a deadblow style maul's innards can be chambered so the shot flows to one side and is balanced when it begins to twist?? Dunno. Brainstorming out loud here.

My heart rate definitely went up in the beginning of this video. But then soon went back down

Maybe the shot needs to go inside the handle. Time for some research and development. Where is @Chris-PA when a guy actually needs him????

The one I posted is weight all in the handle, It is no good. If I were to build a new maul it would be a 8lb fiskars splitter.

In my opinion the work is done by the first point of the splitter making contact, then the rest of the wedge following through.

But keep in mind some wood just doesn't want to be split:)

I think @Red97 has the right idea as far as the shot. Dead blow hammers are made to strike stuff, but not destroy it.
It's the difference between what we call in Karate, "Fluid Shock Wave," and "Instant Shock Wave." If you kick something and leave your foot planted, you transfer more energy because you contact the target longer. If you employ instant shock, you hit it and get the striking tool (foot) off the target rapidly. Jab vs Haymaker. Just an analysis of energy transfer, though and the object here is to strike through. Time for some R&D at any rate. I like the hand tools better than hydraulics so I can hear the birds chirp that's for sure.

The one I posted is weight all in the handle, It is no good. If I were to build a new maul it would be a 8lb fiskars splitter.

In my opinion the work is done by the first point of the splitter making contact, then the rest of the wedge following through.

But keep in mind some wood just doesn't want to be split:)

Right, I knew what the trouble was when you said that handle was solid and heavy. What happens if the weight can shift through the 3' handle and/or in the maul head??

It's the difference between what we call in Karate, "Fluid Shock Wave," and "Instant Shock Wave." If you kick something and leave your foot planted, you transfer more energy because you contact the target longer. If you employ instant shock, you hit it and get the striking tool (foot) off the target rapidly. Just an analysis of energy tranfer, though and the object here is to strike through. Time for some R&D at any rate. I like the hand tools better than hydraulics so I can hear the birds chirp that's for sure.

Right, I knew what the trouble was when you said that handle was solid and heavy. What happens if the weight can shift through the 3' handle and/or in the maul head??

I do not think you can create enough centrifical force to get the shot to the working end of the handle without doing some kind of full roundhouse swing.

One idea I had but haven't tried yet, BUT, I noticed the leveraxe had it. Sharpen it so it splits to the side on purpose, flat on one side, the angle for the edge on the other. Figure out which way you like to go around a round, right turns or left turns, ha! then sharpen accordingly, angle ground side to the outside.

That forest service axe vid that was posted up the other day, they had that on those broadaxes for making beams. I believe I saw that anyway.

Latest posts

Back