Fiskars X27

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stihl023/5

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok I have read a lot about these X27's and have found a sale on them. I have a splitter and love it, however a little splitting workout probably would do me some good instead of flipping a lever. So my question is are they really that good or should I just use my splitter and get a bigger belt? Thanks for the input.

I bought one for 1/2 price because of all the rep it gets . I tried it out a couple days ago on some oak and hickory. I was surprised at how well it did. If you get some tough pieces your lucky enough to have the splitter to take care of them.

Scott

It works pretty well. I'd say it works as well as a normal maul, but with much less weight. You won't get tired as fast. It does dull rather easily, so don't split on the ground if you can help it.

I like mine, but won't be giving up the hydraulic splitter for most of my firewood duties.

Not only is it lighter than most mauls so you dont tire as quickly, but it is also sharp. I quickly learned you dont need to swing near as hard either. I split on a block and it still almost got me in the shin because it went through so easily.

I leave the "green" logs alone when using the X27. I could care less about wearing myself out so I wait.. You on the other hand, have a splitter!

Get the X27 for the semi-dry logs. It's fun and provides a good work out.

Not only is it lighter than most mauls so you dont tire as quickly, but it is also sharp. I quickly learned you dont need to swing near as hard either. I split on a block and it still almost got me in the shin because it went through so easily.

Yep, split inside a tire, on a low clean block. Makes it much easier and safer. Keep a broom handy to keep the block clean. I would also invest in a can of spray lube and keep the blade slicked up, to keep the factory teflon coating lasting longer.

edit: But wait, theres more! fuzzy pics, taken in the rain. All wood 90%+ fiskarized, all rows three deep, wheelbarrow for scale (not all my wood, just some split stacks)

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

added bonus, pygmy swamp wookie Easter bunny!

attachment.php

Last edited:
So now I gotta get a block, a tire( gonna guess it should be a bias ply, hehheh), a broom and lube just to use a Fiskars? My $30 dollar green machine from Menards doesn't need all that. I can hit the ground without dulling it and everything! And stuff.

Can ya tell I am not a huge Fiskars fan? Tried one a bit ago and was not impressed. It's a good axe, no doubt, but it isn't the end all - be all everyone portrays it to be.

Ted

I have read every one of the 1482 "should I get a fiskars?" threads.

Do you think I should just buy one?

So now I gotta get a block, a tire( gonna guess it should be a bias ply, hehheh), a broom and lube just to use a Fiskars? My $30 dollar green machine from Menards doesn't need all that. I can hit the ground without dulling it and everything! And stuff.

Can ya tell I am not a huge Fiskars fan? Tried one a bit ago and was not impressed. It's a good axe, no doubt, but it isn't the end all - be all everyone portrays it to be.

Ted

The fiskars is sharp, designed to work sharp, so keeping it out of the dirt works. Splitting inside a tire does two things, keeps you from over swinging, plus holds the wood for more follow ups, instead of stopping to go pick up fallen over pieces. I like splitting on a short and wide block to accomplish this, and broom it off as required. As to the lube, just a cheap and easy suggestion, the teflon does reduce friction, adding a quick spray helps some too, at miniscule cost or time involved. I just wish I had started doing that before the teflon wore off mine. It isnt absolutely needed, it still splits fine without it, but it helps it split even better.

I still use a maul on some pieces, and wedge and sledge on others. But most of my wood can and does get fiskarized. And some gets noodled. Just depends..

Use what ya want man, the guy was asking about how effective a fiskars might be. To me, just being effective and lightweight, and being able to use it for most of my wood, at not much more cost than my maul, makes it worth the money I spent on it. At roughly just half the weight of my 8 lb maul, man, easy decision to which one to pick up and try first on a new batch of rounds. I just no longer want to swing a heavier maul if it can be avoided. I also didnt have to use a grinder to reshape the fiskars either, it came correctly shaped.

It is not a total replacement for every other splitting tool out there, and no one here has ever said that, but it is a very nice and productive tool that seems to work for most, but not all, people who own one and get used to swinging one correctly.

Now you tell me!

8620335034_5288a84d8f_c.jpg

Finally broke down and got one 2 weeks ago. Works much better than the Tru-Temper I had. Was out splitting for a bit after work today and a bad bounce got me the above wound. Didn't even cut my jeans. Guess I'll have to wear my chaps splitting too. :dizzy:

Now you tell me!

8620335034_5288a84d8f_c.jpg

Finally broke down and got one 2 weeks ago. Works much better than the Tru-Temper I had. Was out splitting for a bit after work today and a bad bounce got me the above wound. Didn't even cut my jeans. Guess I'll have to wear my chaps splitting too. :dizzy:

Ouch you were lucky there.:msp_w00t:

I have used mine for a year now and I have to say i grab it over my maul every time. As long as the wood is seasoned even partially the X27 goes right through.

If your lazy or just have too much to take any amount of time on, then use a log splitter.

I use a 12" dia piece of red oak as my block. I have mine set at about 36" high, as im 6'2".

The height of the block prevents the axe from comin at me and not so hard on the back when swinging. No broom neccesary, use your hands n just wipe the chips off.

I bust everything you can think of burning with this axe and I am lovin it more every week.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I have the older fiskars super splitter (closer to the x25 than the x27). For me it is not that it works any better than my mauls, but that it is less WORK than they are. Work smarter, not harder. Leave the nastys for the hydro, and the very wet/green cuts. Yet another product w/ some shade of orange that works well. Not the same orange as the Stihl, Echo, or Husky shades, but still orange.:rock:

Yes, get one. You won't be disappointed. Very good product for the price. They are the M-tronic/Autotune of splitting axes :rock:

Poop does that mean I have to plug it in to get it fixed?:msp_w00t: Well I hope this lives up to the hype I ordered one today thanks for the advice.

Poop does that mean I have to plug it in to get it fixed?:msp_w00t: Well I hope this lives up to the hype I ordered one today thanks for the advice.

Just remember, it aint a heavy maul. This is a different tool. It works by *speed* and accuracy, reading the wood well, and a good swing is different than a maul. Very much so. Not a maul, it is a splitting axe. Straight up over your head, down fast, real fast, then wrist flick at the last second if you want to. Big rounds work your way around outside to inside. Its not a brute weight splitting experience. Swing it like a maul, it wont work as well and you will be disappointed. And it will take some time to develop the new muscle memory and speed so it works better.

Have fun man!

Ted

No, it is not the end all. The Fiskars has its limits. Everybody that uses a Fiskars know this too. I use a couple heavier mauls and wedges too. The advice provided in the previous post (block, tire, broom, lube, etc.) would apply to all splitting axes, not just the Fiskars. If your green machine works for you great. If I tried the "green machine" and it worked better than the Fiskars, then I would replace the Fiskars. I am only loyal to what works; and what works the most efficient. Anyhow, happy splitting.

Back