Fix Chain or Not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It is a dark and stormy day. Was out cleaning up Fluffy. I decided to see if the other chain would work or not. It still won't go into the bar groove...

BACKGROUND:
On a bright and sunny day last summer, I was helping to clean up apres logging slash. I had a brand new chain on my 032 (Old Sparkless). Within a half hour, I hit something in a log..we suspect a nail. The chain was thrown and the things that fit in the bar groove were all messed up. A guy Dremmeled them. No luck. I've ground the burrs down more..still won't fit. Do you think it is worth fixing? I can get 2 new chains for $34 and a 60 mile drive. There might be a local guy who can fix it. I have no patience for dremmeling. Here's a picture. Don't panic, the red is from me marking the problems with a red Sharpie pen. Right now I'm leaning towards buying new chains. I await your opinions....

I'm definately no pro either as I've never really seen that on the fireline, but cutting up slash I've seen people hit nails and whatnot.... As for the 60 mile drive, I would be more tempted to use the internet and order a new chain sent to me than to risk safety on working a messed up chain... In the meantime, I totally agree with Ray.. a little beer and some patience and you have a good backup chain while you wait for your replacement to show up and use which ever is available first

Last edited:
I have never thrown a junk chain

Only time I ever throw a chain is when they are fresh right out of the box.. I would spend ten minutes and salvage the chain and put it back into service..Don't like a dremel? use a 4 inch grinder.. all you are doing is getting rid of the burr, a rat tail file will do it too.

I had something similar happen on 3/8 chain on my 441, but I dont think I hit anything in the hackberry tree I was murdering. I ended up using an old rat tail file and filing the drive links until it fit. It was so bad the chain seized in the bar and was starting to smoke the clutch. After filing the chain I turned the oiler up and ran it without load for a little while and it worked fine. I still dont know what made that happen, no evidence whatsoever.

If you have the time and patience it can be saved. I started ordering stuff from baileys the locals are haywire on the prices.

File it with a flat file (raker file) until it fits in the bar groove again and then put the chain on backwards and run the saw at half throttle for about 30 seconds, turn it around and get to cutt'n.

I am making progress with the hand file method. When I wreck something, I go all out!! I'd say it is about halfway repaired. Thanks...
And it looks like the princess stickers are wearing off, so I'd better put new ones on Fluffy while I'm at it.:)

It would be worth saving only if you're not on the clock. I'd trade the chain FOR a beer and buy some new ones. Run a new one for a few minutes worth of cutting and retighten.

Darn shame that has to happen to a new chain.

Unfortunately, throwing a chain burrs up the drive links way to often. If it will go most of the way into the bar groove but wont rotate just install it very loose with the burrs just ahead of the sprocket on the top of the bar and crank the saw and nail the throttle. If the saw will spin it around the bar several seconds, it will wear the burrs down and you can tighten the chain and run it. If it wont spin it around, just do a little more work with you file.

Last edited:
I would think that the burrs can accelerate sprocket wear if they are not carefully and evenly removed.

The sprocket wears out where the bottom of the tie straps wear it not on the inside where the burrs would hit it. My biggest concern would be bar groove wear. But I use the -loose run to wear the burrs off- method some times several times in a day and have never noticed any faster wear of the bar or sprocket. I know there has to be more wear, but it is not noticable over the life of the parts.

When it happened, I noticed the burring and the advice was to put it back on and run it but the damage was too much to fit back in. So it has been hanging in the garage a while. Now that I've %$^sprained an ankle while here at home (I've made it through the year in the woods with only a bloody nose and jammed finger!!) I'll set up a high chair and work on it and think evil thoughts about ankles! I was going to go cut some wood today. Maybe it (the ankle) will loosen up. Maybe I'll duct tape it. Thanks..

Yes, somehow duck tape should be able fix this little problem. Maybe it could be used like hardfacing. You know, like built up the rails a little wider for the damaged chain to run in. The duck tape queen shall triumph over the evil chain. :)

A small hammer, 6 oz or so, and an anvil can also work, especially if any of the links were bent when it was thrown off.

460 chain

Same thing happened to me one time, I was cutting some green bryers on the landing with my 460 making it bigger and while I was cutting one bush it threw the chain. So I took it back to the truck and noticed that the chain wouldn't go into the bar groove again. So I looked at the drive links and about 10 of them where burred so I took a flat raker file and filed them so they would fit back into the groove. I put it back on and reved it a couple times out of wood. And I tightened it a little bit again because it got loose from the DL going back to the right thickness(.50) and I was good to go again. So I would say flat file would be best.:greenchainsaw:

Back