Fix Chain or Not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, somehow duck tape should be able fix this little problem. Maybe it could be used like hardfacing. You know, like built up the rails a little wider for the damaged chain to run in. The duck tape queen shall triumph over the evil chain. :)

I would use the purple tape in this case. Purple is a calming color. Seriously, I just did another session of filing, and I think I'll try to crank it up tomorrow, when the emergency room might be better staffed. I don't think it will turn yet, still seems a little stickery.

I would use the purple tape in this case. Purple is a calming color. Seriously, I just did another session of filing, and I think I'll try to crank it up tomorrow, when the emergency room might be better staffed. I don't think it will turn yet, still seems a little stickery.

Try a Dremel tool...very, very gently. And purple isn't always a calming color.Bruises are purple. So are blood blisters. Likewise mashed fingernails. Peanut butter and blackberry jelly on white bread sandwiches that you made at one o'clock in the morning and wind up eating in the crummy at four-thirty in the afternoon are purple.
And what's the brand name on that tape? All I can find around here is silver duct tape. :cheers:

The chaser guy used a dremel on it. I've used a dremel on it. The hand file method is working much better. The Walmarche..Walmart had a few different colors of tape prior to getting flooded. Your nearest one should have it. Purple huckleberries are excellent. Purple clothing is good to wear when picking berries. I plan to give Fluffy a try when it gets light out and the neighbors should be up.

SUCCESS AT LAST!

Thanks for the encouragement. Beers for everyone! Fluffy has an almost new chain again. Now I wonder if that tree is still out there that I was cutting on the other day???: cheers:

It would be worth saving only if you're not on the clock. I'd trade the chain FOR a beer and buy some new ones. Run a new one for a few minutes worth of cutting and retighten.

Darn shame that has to happen to a new chain.
+1
Better yet, give a six-pack and the flat file to one of da boys what forgot their lunch ;) Hate it when that happens......................:givebeer:

:D

:cheers: (my kid loved the stickers and is willing ta donate lol! sheesh!)

Serge (me, not letting said^ kid name my machinery lol)

Hate when that happens....even worse is when you throw a chain up in the tree and have to do all the dismantling and filing (or chain replacement) at 40'.

I feel like such a numpty, the other day I was cutting happily when clink clank chunk...threw the chain on my 200t BUT it had come off because the side nut had loosened and fell off, off came the side guard...etc. I had not properly tightened the nut after putting it together from new...lost the nut, had to scavenge from another saw, filing in the tree...sheeesh NUMPTY!!

Back