Fleabay deadbeat . . .need advice and to vent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another Suggestion To Get Your Money Back...

....i have been lucky on fleabay and never needed to open a dispute before, just wondering if you guys have any suggestions on the most effective course of action from here on out. i dislike the idea of turning the case over to paypal completely to decide, but i also dislike that the second i won the item i paid for it and this dude somewhere has a sizeable chunk of money from my bank account, and i've nothing. thanks

Dispute the charge with the credit card company. Send the "big boys" after him!

Not sure if this is an option for you, but I have my PayPal account setup to hit my credit card. Over the years I have had various transactions go bad. When this happens, I dispute the charge with the credit card company. They will not require you to pay disputed amounts, as it's put on "HOLD", and they start an official inquiry with the "party that made the charge". Whether this is PayPal or the actually seller that stiffed you, you should be able to apply more pressure for a speedy resolution and avoid having to lay down the cash until you get your item.

I'm sorry this has happened to you, and in general it seems to an increasing problem.

Hope you get it all resolved.

P.S. What part of Western Wyoming are you from? I grew up in Green River.

I beg to differ with you, I have always had good luck getting either money or the goods sent to me.

Have you had a state Attorney General file a case for you involving a <$100 chainsaw deal on e-bay? I would find it highly unlikely.

All the buyer needs to do in this case is file a paypal claim and get his money back. It's not like the old days where you didn't get any money back if the seller cleaned his/her paypal account out. Paypal's "Buyer Protection" clearly states now that you're covered, period. I've had two recent deals where I needed to file claims and in both cases the seller was long gone with the money. Both payments were instant transfers from my checking account and I received full refunds (shipping costs included) for both transactions.

Do you have the tracking number for the package or any identifiable tracking info? I know of a lot of Fedex, USPS, and UPS packages here that sat in Portland, Or. sorting facilities for more than a week due to our recent weather conditions.

Have you had a state Attorney General file a case for you involving a <$100 chainsaw deal on e-bay? I would find it highly unlikely.

All the buyer needs to do in this case is file a paypal claim and get his money back. It's not like the old days where you didn't get any money back if the seller cleaned his/her paypal account out. Paypal's "Buyer Protection" clearly states now that you're covered, period. I've had two recent deals where I needed to file claims and in both cases the seller was long gone with the money. Both payments were instant transfers from my checking account and I received full refunds (shipping costs included) for both transactions.
I never doubt anything until I try it . I have had money returned on a lot of things, what is so bad about it being a chainsaw?

Have you?. After it is fraud using the mail or wire services across state lines.

Most states take Fraud seriously, no matter the amount or the item.

I never doubt anything until I try it . I have had money returned on a lot of things, what is so bad about it being a chainsaw?

Have you?. After it is fraud using the mail or wire services across state lines.

Most states take Fraud seriously, no matter the amount or the item.

I've never had to go that far. I have however, been told by 'governing officials' that e-bay auctions on smaller amounts aren't really going to elicit much in the way of action. Filing fraud claims with e-bay and paypal almost always have the desired result.

The only real 'scammers' I've encountered on e-bay were quite obvious- people selling high-dollar electronics and jewlery at ridiculously low buy-it-now prices, or high-dollar chainsaw items with poorly written descriptions in broken english with pictures stolen from other auctions. Once in a great while you'll encounter someone with good feedback who ends up having a real problem go down, but usually they'll stay in communication with you and make a real effort to right things. Stay honest, be professional, and you won't get burned- either as a buyer or a seller.

I've never had to go that far. I have however, been told by 'governing officials' that e-bay auctions on smaller amounts aren't really going to elicit much in the way of action. Filing fraud claims with e-bay and paypal almost always have the desired result.

The only real 'scammers' I've encountered on e-bay were quite obvious- people selling high-dollar electronics and jewlery at ridiculously low buy-it-now prices, or high-dollar chainsaw items with poorly written descriptions in broken english with pictures stolen from other auctions. Once in a great while you'll encounter someone with good feedback who ends up having a real problem go down, but usually they'll stay in communication with you and make a real effort to right things. Stay honest, be professional, and you won't get burned- either as a buyer or a seller.
You are preaching to the choir.
And listening to the wrong people.
Most states have an agreement among themselves on hot checks & cases of Fraud.
I can collect on a hot check easier out of state than in Texas.
Most local police is a waste of time in local cases.
Not so when it is out of state with a name in writting & address to go by. It is already a made case

Last edited:
Do you have the tracking number for the package or any identifiable tracking info? I know of a lot of Fedex, USPS, and UPS packages here that sat in Portland, Or. sorting facilities for more than a week due to our recent weather conditions.

yea fed ex is delayed some some backed up about 4- 5 days so chances are if that went fed ex it just may be somewhere in the system still also its been known for packages to get mis routed ups did this exact thing to me on some parts for customers get this they routed it all the way to arizona why did it go there for i never will understand why

but i let them customers know fast about the misup by ups

so it could got mis routed we need to contact that seller i notice he been on ebay since 2002 i know currently i have a homelite super xl 925 piston and rings and pin on there get this 25 watchers now that is alot of watchers that may be holding back till the last few minutes of the auction i sure hope so
i hope you get your saw or funds back im just curious why the seller is not responding

calvin

Last edited:
Looks like a good saw for a good price. Perhaps the seller sold it privately to the guy who posted a question on the auction, being willing to pick it up, or it could be in transit. I waited over a month for an 056 mag2 that came from warshington state parcel post. The seller and I had many conversations in that time. It arrived, runs great, but more worn out than it looked in pic. Eflay sucks like that...... Good luck, hope it turns out to be as good a saw as it looks. Wife bi†çhiñg about a seventy-six dollar saw purchase does not sound too promising, but I will MMOB on that one.:taped:

Better watch out for J.J. homes!

I eventually got the saw back by contacting a 'biker' friend of mine who asked around and threatened to crack some crackhead skulls...I paid him a $100 reward.

Loco J.J., I didn't know you were a gangster!

I like you're style man. :bringit:

My daughter bought some custom "Polo" boots, of all things; from an Argentinian company last year. Same type of deal. A couple of months went by with no boots and no communication. We were thinking that was the norm....but ultimately the 350 dollars looked like it was placed in vapor ware.

So we did the usual things with ebay's disput process with no luck. We finally contacted paypal and they did their thing and payed her back. Ebay's was a waste of time. A bunch of automated email type things that no one pays any attention to. I don't know what paypal did. Just within 1 week the girl had her money back...and that was after 3-4 months of denial and ebay dispute resolution.

Very few Police departments or Attorney Generals will take real action on a crime involving an $80 chainsaw... I had a fairly new saw stolen from me in town, and I knew who did it. I called the cops and they asked the value, I told them $550. They took a report and that was the end of it. They told me very little can be done unless the goods are worth a felony theft charge, which here is $600+.

I eventually got the saw back by contacting a 'biker' friend of mine who asked around and threatened to crack some crackhead skulls...I paid him a $100 reward.

I've contacted the Post Office also regarding transactions paid via postal money order, and they've told me something similar. If it doesn't involve at least $750, they're probably not going to do too much. They have plenty of 'serious' crime to investigate.

Sounds like the Cop you talked to was being quite lazy, even if they can't get it back they can still arrest the guy, even if its only a misdemeanor charge.

Sounds like the Cop you talked to was being quite lazy, even if they can't get it back they can still arrest the guy, even if its only a misdemeanor charge.
I have a friend that is some sort of a State Prosecutor in Albq. New Mexico.
He likes to call hinself a janitor of public restrooms.
Anyway I was having trouble from a seller there About not shipping some high dollar home speakers. I asked if he could help & of course he did.
It was funny the way he told it,the young seller seeing this State car pulling into his driveway.
But anyway they were shipped the next day.it cost me a dinner for two at Macoroni Grill. (SP).

I am leary of anyone that hates AGs, that makes me wonder just how current their child-support payments are. You just never know.

Last edited:
Just open an INR dispute with Paypal. Unless the seller can prove delivery confirmation he looses.

Secondly never ever pay for an Ebay purchase without a credit card. A cc gives you double protection.

Buyers get tons of protection on Ebay. Seller's get very little.

here your answer of what he did

doubled dipped and you got screwed

Q: Any chance you would want to just be done with the waiting and sell. I am from the st.cloud area and would be willing to meet. Dec-01-08
A: I had someone bid $70+, but the bidder never contacted me. What are you willing to pay?

I have the opposite problem. I have had deadbead bidders that have not paid in the last month. I can't leave neg feedback to warn other sellers.

Last edited:
Back