Fleabay deadbeat . . .need advice and to vent

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You only have 45 days to file a Paypal dispute, after that you are on your own. If it were me i would file it now since enough time has elapsed.

It's funny, i have done 170+ transactions on ebay, never had a problem. I bought a Navajo flute for the wife for Christmas. Long story, but after delayed shipping & getting the wrong flute i left him a "neutral" feedback. The guy revised my "positive " feedback adding a line that makes me sound like a real jerk, then tried to blackmail me with that requesting that i revise the feedback i left him. Fat chance......

RD

thank you all for the advice, suggestions and experiences . . .this is new for me, never had a problem before. i guess in my little soap bubble of reality i just expect people to do what they are supposed to do, when they are supposed to do it. the people who frequent this site are great, it sure is nice to have a place online, that feels like a small town, or better yet a really big make-believe saw shop! thanks again:cheers:

Last edited:
I just had a wierd ebay experinace, and I'll try to make it short.

Bought a saw that was listed as running and the seller had a high shipping charge of $35 for only being maybe 200 miles away. That part didn't bother me if it was going to be packaged well and sent 2-3 days UPS or priority.

Took 10 days to get it, seller didnt respond to emails I sent after 5 days asking for info on when it should arrive.

When it got here it was poorly packaged, in a oily box. Good thing I went to school with my mail lady because the post office wanted to put it in the hazmat quarantine, but she told em that she would deliver it to me anyway.

So, it got shipped parcel post 200 miles for $35, it had not been drained of bar oil which leaked out through the broken oil line, the fuel filter was off , the screen in the carb was plugged and it would not start. Sounds like not so good a deal right?

The seller in his auction list his phone # to call before leaving any bad feedback so I called, got the machine and left a message that I was unhappy due to some of what I listed above.

He did send a email and I returned it stating what was the matter.

A few hours later I got a reply that he was sorry for the oil leak and such and had refunded my whole aution amount and for me to keep the saw.:dizzy:

I Couldnt belive it. I also didn't feel right about keeping the saw for nothing but didn't know what to do, so I sent him a message back, telling him that I was floored, but that I would send him half of it back.

Did I do the right thing?

Maybe Ebay does have something with the seller not being able to retailate for bad feedback, but then I just got stiffed from a non paying bidder on a $1500 snow plow that I couldn't leave a negitive for.

Very few Police departments or Attorney Generals will take real action on a crime involving an $80 chainsaw... I had a fairly new saw stolen from me in town, and I knew who did it. I called the cops and they asked the value, I told them $550. They took a report and that was the end of it. They told me very little can be done unless the goods are worth a felony theft charge, which here is $600+.

I eventually got the saw back by contacting a 'biker' friend of mine who asked around and threatened to crack some crackhead skulls...I paid him a $100 reward.

I've contacted the Post Office also regarding transactions paid via postal money order, and they've told me something similar. If it doesn't involve at least $750, they're probably not going to do too much. They have plenty of 'serious' crime to investigate.

and about the postal--they suck!!! they dont do anything about small mo's--been there--7 months and counting

Did I do the right thing?

You most certainly did...

I've refunded peoples' funds on occasion...usually small stuff that wasn't worth the hassle...and some, like yourself, took it upon themselves to bump some of the money back my way...in a kind of self policing way, as in, well..."I've kept what I feel makes this right".

I have no problem with this...in fact I applaud it. I realize there's a huge potential for abuse in this scenario, I suggest judicial use of this philosophy.

update

well sadly, the seller refused to respond to the dispute i opened via Paypal and upon the suggestions offered here as well as those of my better half, i've escalated the matter to a claim as of this evening. i want my money back, but i'd rather have the saw. anyone with a large mean dog and/or imposing physical stature live in MN and want to do me a solid?

well sadly, the seller refused to respond to the dispute i opened via Paypal and upon the suggestions offered here as well as those of my better half, i've escalated the matter to a claim as of this evening. i want my money back, but i'd rather have the saw. anyone with a large mean dog and/or imposing physical stature live in MN and want to do me a solid?
I know of several good suggestions that have been made, they worked for me & others.
So what can I say, you are the one losing the hundred bucks.

er i have a question can you describe to me what a pioneer p25 looks like ?

as soon as i find my camera battery charger so i can charge up my camera battery i have some interesting things to take pictures of you guys will laugh at what i found today i said well i will let the pictures tell the story

Last edited:
Paypal

Contact your local police and file a complaint. PayPal has been very good in providing my police department with any information we asked for and we have made allot of arrests for people ripping other people off.

You know....they guy has great feedback!

You know....they guy has great feedback! It's not like a guy to have such good feedback and then pull something like this. I bet something happened ...like a death in the family or some other bad thing...every other transaction people have only had good things to say about him.

However, did you guys see in the question area about the guy from Saint Cloud asking to end the auction early? I asked the seller if the saw was sold to him. We'll see if I hear back from the seller.

Dan

Last edited:

Well I hope he has the money left in his paypal account. If so you will more than likely it back.

Unless they have changed something in the last year, it will be hard to get the money back from him if he withdrew it out of the account.

Well I hope he has the money left in his paypal account. If so you will more than likely it back.

Unless they have changed something in the last year, it will be hard to get the money back from him if he withdrew it out of the account.

They have changed the way the buyer protection works. Now you don't have to worry about if the seller has money in their account or not. Paypal itself is backing the claims. So even if the seller is long gone, you'll get your money back.

They have changed the way the buyer protection works. Now you don't have to worry about if the seller has money in their account or not. Paypal itself is backing the claims. So even if the seller is long gone, you'll get your money back.

Well thats a good thing and nice to know. I thought that used to be for just certain things.

I hope it works out for him.

I have used E-bay for years and only once was I ALMOST shafted. I only bid on those who have had accounts for more than a year, at least 10 positve feedbacks, AS A SELLER , not as a BUYER! I also use paypal, but if they refuse paypal I use a POSTAL money order. Thats what saved me the one time I ALMOST got shafted. The same thing happened, NO response NO merchandise. I went to the post office filed a claim ( these money orders are insured up to I belive $100.00 ) and the postal inspectors nailed the guy, and I got my money back.

E-bay is a con mans dream if one isn't careful, and even then one can get shafted as I almost did. I also bought a ( body by Jake ) from a guy with good feedback and after 3 month's of fighting I got the darn thing. My philosophy with E-bay is, buyer beware! Hope all turns out for you in the long run.

I have used E-bay for years and only once was I ALMOST shafted. I only bid on those who have had accounts for more than a year, at least 10 positve feedbacks, AS A SELLER , not as a BUYER! I also use paypal, but if they refuse paypal I use a POSTAL money order. Thats what saved me the one time I ALMOST got shafted. The same thing happened, NO response NO merchandise. I went to the post office filed a claim ( these money orders are insured up to I belive $100.00 ) and the postal inspectors nailed the guy, and I got my money back.

E-bay is a con mans dream if one isn't careful, and even then one can get shafted as I almost did. I also bought a ( body by Jake ) from a guy with good feedback and after 3 month's of fighting I got the darn thing. My philosophy with E-bay is, buyer beware! Hope all turns out for you in the long run.
money orders are a no no at ebay now, sellers MUST provide electronic payment options only so that means of course paypal (which they own) or some other online electronic payment option, no money orders, personal checks, cashiers checks, western union or wire transfers or any thing of that sort is allowed now, they are all for the buyer and protecting them these days, they have lost sellers due to the new rules and such and not to mention the fees....

money orders are a no no at ebay now, sellers MUST provide electronic payment options only so that means of course paypal (which they own) or some other online electronic payment option, no money orders, personal checks, cashiers checks, western union or wire transfers or any thing of that sort is allowed now, they are all for the buyer and protecting them these days, they have lost sellers due to the new rules and such and not to mention the fees....
I just got a postal money order for a saw I sold on Ebay. The guy emailed and ask if I would take one, I said sure. It came about 4 days later and I shipped out his saw. He was happy and so was I.

Back