Flex-hone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FXST

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would like to get some thoughts on flex hones. It seems to me it should be standard practice to use the flex hones when replaceing piston and rings. I have not purchased any yet. Is it a good idea? if so do I have to buy a specific type? I realize there are different sizes but I see some on ebay that are silicon carbide 120 grit and then I see baileys has 2 different types also. what do you guys use/ do. I want to start putting piston/ rings in my project saws and I want to start with my 026ers first. thanks for your help , Mike

I apologize, I guess that response indicates I should not hone a chrome bore. I'm learning so do all the stihl saws have chrome bores? if thats the case just put in new pistons and or rings when neccasary if the cylinder is salvageable?

Chrome

I wonder if the chrome bore is the same thing as nikacel plating like snowmobiles use? On a sled with nikacel the best way to prepare a jug is to blast it with glass bead media. On a nikacel bore it will leave a beautiful finish just rough enough to seat the rings. A hone won't even scratch it. This is a question not an answer so don't go blasting your cylinder until someone chimes in that knows about chainsaw jugs. I don't.

I use em.
When using a brand new one...beat the heck out of it in a junk cylinder or a steel pipe. Never use one to take off the aluminum from an overheated piston. Use acid first then emery cloth.

Never use the hone longer than 10-12 seconds on a cylinder you wish to keep. <<<This will get a horrible arguement going. But This is my personal practice.

Always use the proper oil for your hone. Or just keep a container of the oil to emmerse the whole cylinder in while honing. Make sure you clean it well.

Good Luck.
Scott.

I use flexhone 320 SC every week and on nikasil bores (almost all Stihl) it works great. Several hundred saved cylinders speak for themselves..

I don't subscribe the the 10-12 second limits Scott sees. If your hone is the correct size, and even in "new shape", it's very hard to damage a nikasil cylinder or the ports with a 320 SC flex hone. Less is all ways better, and clean the excess aluminum deposits with muriatic acid before honing. If you force a large hone into a small bore, you can damage the port edges.

I use the "Rapid Tap" brand cutting oil and just put some in the cylidner and on the hone.

Last edited:
I wonder if the chrome bore is the same thing as nikacel plating like snowmobiles use? On a sled with nikacel the best way to prepare a jug is to blast it with glass bead media. On a nikacel bore it will leave a beautiful finish just rough enough to seat the rings. A hone won't even scratch it. This is a question not an answer so don't go blasting your cylinder until someone chimes in that knows about chainsaw jugs. I don't.

no.. chrome is not the same a nikasil. Chrome is much cheaper, which is why it's found on most Taiwan/Chinese/Indian aftermarket cylinders.

I was wondering about that....I could swear that some time back, he had Husqvarnas listed as having nikasil cylinders and now he has Husqvarnas and Sthils listed as being chrome plated aluminum.

Hey lake just throwing this out there for some input:We often have snowmobile jugs re nikasiled and I get a deal on it.Would a 056mag cylinder do alright with a nikasil plated bore?I think it should.

Yep.. I would be great, but you can still buy them new... so why spend $175--$250 to get one replated (yet?). The orginal is chrome (I think), but works just fine...

When they run out of new, maybe...

A place in Vancouver b.c. we have a deal in place with them as we do lots of snowmobiles in winter (300 for a sled jug retail)Don't know if I can give them a plug on here or not?

A place in Vancouver b.c. we have a deal in place with them as we do lots of snowmobiles in winter (300 for a sled jug retail)Don't know if I can give them a plug on here or not?

Do they do closed end cylinders? I'd sure like to know who they are. The mods will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong but refering to resources isn't the same as selling on AS (unless you own the company...).

Not sure about the closed end cylinders(good question!)But I could ask. Cannot seem to order one here infonet claims unavailable for the 056mag topend.

Latest posts

Back