Flipped the tractor.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Philip, not to prolong this thread but let me state that I don’t believe anyone doubts that your intent in starting this thread was well intended. And I for one appreciate your intent. The negative reaction you got was for several reasons. IMO here are three of those reasons.

I’ll illustrate #1: A few weeks back while hooking up my 16 foot trailer, I got in the truck to move it slightly forward so I could get the hitch latch to close. When I got in the truck, I actually drove off instead. Some two miles down the road I realized the trailer didn’t feel right and “Dud” it hit me what I had done. I pulled over and fixed things and no one got hurt. Professional truckers have been known to do the same thing but what kind of reaction do you think I would have gotten if I (a regular Joe) started a thread on a trucker forum to remind truckers of the hazards of not checking their king pin before pulling out … probably a much worst reaction than you got here.

More importantly #2, if you were using the tractor in your avatar then some of us are of the opinion that not only were you using the wrong equipment (that tractor was not designed to pull heavy vertical drawbar loads), you were doing something that can be extremely dangerous – no matter how many times you have done it without incident. Like you I am not a logger and I use a little tractor for various wood moving tasks. And although mine is no doubt twice as heavy as the one in your avatar, it has a drawbar maximum vertical load of only 562#.

#3 Most likely we are only fooling ourselves, if either of us ever starts to think that we have something logging related and significant to teach a professional logger based upon our experience with our little hobby oriented tractors, arches, lifts and accessories. Once we start fooling ourselves, we only become more dangerous to ourselves and others.

Don’t get me wrong, you have contributed to the AS community. You just choose the wrong neighborhood this time and IMO there was a greater safety point that you overlooked.

I had to look up "ad hominem" and I'm glad there will be no more. Bob has a good bark and no doubt an equivalent bite. But that old dog has a lot of passion, wisdom and experience. I've learned a lot from him. He isn't against us lesser experienced ones or non-pros - in fact he once even gave me advice on how to make my little tractor more effective at skidding and lifting small logs.

Nothing personal or West Coast vs East Coast or pro-snobbery meant by any of my comments now or before.

Ron

Back