Flood light or bulb light on OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urhstry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I am ready to put motion detector lights on my OWB and I already bought a double floodlight unit. My question is whether I would want a single bulb light to light up the immediate area around the unit or use the floodlights. I realize it is up to the user (me) but I guess I am asking what everyone else has or likes.

I have a buddy that used to have his floods like this: Two infront of the OWB (i.e. behind him when he is facing the feed door.) and one shining down. The two at the back have enough light to light up his feed wood (i.e. that which he stacks next to the OWB). Not enough for his secondary stack, but as he says, "I move that closer when it is daylight as needed". One shining down can be a little bright, but enough light to do anything you need to.

When I say used to, he dug up around his OWB and had to move some of the feed wires to the back floods, just has not put the wiring back yet. It all depends on your setup and what you want from them. The output on the floods will vary depending on the distances you want to light from.

Tes

Last edited:
I have just a single bulb on the front of mine. I like the thought of adding a floodlight...sure would make it easier diggin around for the wood.

I prefer a plain old 60 or 100 watt light bulb. I tried a 75 watt floodlight in the existing socket on my CB but didn't like it. On another note I went a few months screwing and unscrewing the bulb for light because I thought the switch was faulty (seized). Turned out the lever on the weather proof cover needed a bit of wd-40 and the switch itself was fine.

I just have the 75 watt regular bulb on mine. It doesn't put any light into the firebox and between the darkness and the smoke I've developed a nerdy but effective alternative. I wear one of those 6 dollar LED headlights from Northern Tool. My family laughs but it enables me to see all the way to the back of the firebox and whatever else I want to check out, keeps my hands free for loading or other work. The batteries last forever since the lights are LED. I don't want to stick a post in the ground for flood lights to shine into the firebox as it would be in my way for snow removal. Cheap and effective.

I'm not going to laugh, I use LED headlights everyday for this reason and others....at night the firebox is usually pretty dark (ironic huh? :) ) When I put a roof over my OWB I'll have a light shining straight in on the firebox.

That's the way mine is set up. I have a wall 5 feet in front of the OWB. I have a double bulb fixture with one flood and one regular bulb used as an area light, The flood is aimed directly in the fire door. Really helps when loading or cleaning the firebox.

Back