Floor to ceiling clearance

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RunNGun17

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm two inches short. STORY OF MY LIFE, haha.

Ok the stove manufacture that I was going to purchase from wants 84" from the floor to the ceiling. And I'm at 82". My basement is finished with with drywall on the ceilings.

My question is . . . Does anyone else have a low height clearance and if so what stove mfg. do you use and whats you measurement? Inspector told me that the stoves mfg. overrides the county codes, which is fine, but I just hope I'm not screwed now.

Thank you.

I'm two inches short. STORY OF MY LIFE, haha.

Ok the stove manufacture that I was going to purchase from wants 84" from the floor to the ceiling. And I'm at 82". My basement is finished with with drywall on the ceilings.

My question is . . . Does anyone else have a low height clearance and if so what stove mfg. do you use and whats you measurement? Inspector told me that the stoves mfg. overrides the county codes, which is fine, but I just hope I'm not screwed now.

Thank you.

Does your stove manufacturer have instructions for an 'alcove installation'? If so, follow those install directions and you should be able to pass inspection.

Shari

NFPA allows for a clearence reduction system that allows you to be 50% closer or instead of 18" above the unit you could go to 9".
Use 1" metal stand offs or cermaic insulators and cover with sheetmetal or concrete board leaving the 1" gap behind the covering.

My town inspector told me the stove pipe was to close to the cieling beams in my basement (he mis-read the stove specs, but I was not gonna argue with him) I had to install concrete board directly over the pipe. Was a royal PITA to do, but it passed muster.

I emailed the company and told them that I fall two inches short, they told me I was fine and they are sending me an exempt letter for my insurance company. I was a happy man to hear that! They told me that 84" was a standard measurement they use and 82" would not pose a problem.

upidstay: how close was your stove pipe to your beams? Just curious.

My double wall pipe is 15" from my drywall ceiling.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back