footlocking

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david miller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I use to have the hardest trouble ascending this way, it wasn't technique or body strength it was my boot, the rope kept slipping, I bought a pair of wolverine with nonslip sole, now I hardly break out my SRT toy to ascend,

I use to have the hardest trouble ascending this way, it wasn't technique or body strength it was my boot, the rope kept slipping, I bought a pair of wolverine with nonslip sole, now I hardly break out my SRT toy to ascend,

You might want to try out a couple of Pantins sometime. What is your srt toy?

I never footlock, what's the point if you have a CMI or Pantin? It takes two minutes to strap one on and up you go. Footlocking is for show offs.

I never footlock, what's the point if you have a CMI or Pantin? It takes two minutes to strap one on and up you go. Footlocking is for show offs.

Oh I don't think so. I footlock all the time. By the time those other guys dig out their pantin or other gadgets I am already in the tree working. Its like any technique if you do it enough it becomes second nature to you.
I am always improving my climbing style and equipment, but I don't need an arsenal of stuff to go up a tree.
Thats not to say they don't have a place and time. If I did a lot of really high ascends(60ft)ever day I might be singing a different tune. As it is now if I do have a long high ascend I just switch from single rope, to double static rope ascend. The best thing going isn't those pretty anodized toys, but the big shot. Now thats a cool tool. Beastmaster

Or for people that don't want to spend the money on all those bells and whistles. So what if it's showing off, not many climbers can footlock good. My customers are quite impressed when they see me footlock a rope 60' into a tree. Plus it gets me more work sometimes, shows this clown doesn't fool around.

Or for people that don't want to spend the money on all those bells and whistles. So what if it's showing off, not many climbers can footlock good. My customers are quite impressed when they see me footlock a rope 60' into a tree. Plus it gets me more work sometimes, shows this clown doesn't fool around.

Yep! double line footlock, with just a prussik cord is some tough stuff.. I used to be pretty good at it, but when I think about it now, I'm sorta glad I do mostly takedowns.

I'm finding it more and more each has it's place. Also deals more with the height of trees you tend to climb. I use to know nothing but footlocking. But footlocking multiple 90' climbs per day can get pretty rough no matter how good you are at it. And not too uncommon to get into things 120' and bigger. So I decided to get a rope walking system which I plan to use as often as i feel fit. If only going up 50" or so I'll just footlock it being it takes no time at all. But anything much heigher I will be grabbing mr srt set-up.

Too many ppl go on the argument about which style or type is better. Feel it's best to know multiple ascent methods to be able apply them to each individuall situation. A better climbing will be able to take better action on a tree by tree and job by job basis verse thoughs with a single view point on how to always to do things.

trust me I like using foot patin. croll and ascended, with foot strap but sometime it gets time consuming for me,Plus the height of most trees down here it so much faster with footlocking and switching over to DRT, like I said with these boot they grip the rope with hardly no pressure, before with work boots,army boots even with tennis shoe, every time I grasp the rope with my feet the rope would slip

I have not done enough footlocking to even hit the radar. Its just not something I have ever tried much. Once the technique is mastered I can see the benefits. maybe I should get on the rope and get some practice.

But as it stands, when I footlock I look like I'm drunk or retarded.

i footlock almost evertime i shoot the throwbag. i dont carry all those fancy gadgets and gizmo's i was always taught thats just more stuff to carry and empty your wallet. all i carry for climbing is a saddle,lanyard, piece of iceline and a pursic cord for footlocking and of cousre my climbing line and beaners. but i guess different strokes for different folks.

for me, foot locking is a faster way up but uses more energy. on longer climbs i like to use a yoyo/rads system with a ID ascender/descender in place if a gri gri since i dont like using 7/16 line. samson arbormaster all the way baby!!! anyway as for foot locking being show offy, the only people who complain about footlocking are those who cant do it to well. so you can stick with your old blakes hitch DRT and all the cool people can foot lock.

if you get good at footlocking it takes less energy than hip thrusting and no more energy then spiking.

I have had my Wraptor since Feb and have probably used it a hundred times easy. Nobody will beat me up a tree no matter what system you are using on a long climb. I get excited just thinking about that thing like I do about my Dingo, Cherry pickers, crane, bc2000, stump cutters, Timberwolf stuff etc etc. Wraptor is the future but the future will have to wait for those who can't come up with 2500 clams.:cry:

I still play around with footlocking, pantins and Ascentree at times.:popcorn:

I have not done enough footlocking to even hit the radar. Its just not something I have ever tried much. Once the technique is mastered I can see the benefits. maybe I should get on the rope and get some practice.

But as it stands, when I footlock I look like I'm drunk or retarded.

:agree2:

I'd like to say otherwise about myself, but it would be a lie.

X3

I can do it but nowhere near as efficiently as I can get up the rope with my ascenders. I have an old foot injury that makes it hard and painful to footlock. I'll stick with my ascenders and make the easy trip.

Latest posts

Back