For all you dealers out there. ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dale.Z

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
OK this is for all you dealers out there I need some understanding and please forgive me for this question is not of arrogates but say maybe pure ignorance’s. I honestly don’t know.
If a saw or any other item is under manufacture warranty and is returned to your shop, does it cost you as a dealer money to make the repair? If so please explain the process to me.
I always assumed that while under warranty the manufacture would reimburse the dealer for parts and labor.

Thanks in advance.

OK this is for all you dealers out there I need some understanding and please forgive me for this question is not of arrogates but say maybe pure ignorance’s. I honestly don’t know.
If a saw or any other item is under manufacture warranty and is returned to your shop, does it cost you as a dealer money to make the repair? If so please explain the process to me.
I always assumed that while under warranty the manufacture would reimburse the dealer for parts and labor.

Thanks in advance.

They do, so where does your interest come from? dealer not want to fix your saw because it was purchased elsewhere?

Thanks in advance.

With Stihl we check the purchase date, condition of the saw, the cause of the fault. We find its the fault of the saw we fix the saw, file warranty and within a few hours Stihl credits our account for the cost.

With out of warranty units I picked up the phone if I feel its the fault of the saw, get the approval from Stihl, fix the saw, file warranty. Whole process of getting approval takes about 5 minutes.

With Stihl we check the purchase date, condition of the saw, the cause of the fault. We find its the fault of the saw we fix the saw, file warranty and within a few hours Stihl credits our account for the cost.

With out of warranty units I picked up the phone if I feel its the fault of the saw, get the approval from Stihl, fix the saw, file warranty. Whole process of getting approval takes about 5 minutes.

:yourock:

Warranty with STIHL for us takes about a week or more to get approved. We do the same thing, inspect product see who's at fault, when it was purchased. If it's a defect within warranty we file a claim and hand the customer the product. If it was their fault we charge that ass $32.50 for looking at the thing or more if they wanna fix it whatever it may be. STIHL is good with warranty but they take too long to approve it.

Warranty with STIHL for us takes about a week or more to get approved. We do the same thing, inspect product see who's at fault, when it was purchased. If it's a defect within warranty we file a claim and hand the customer the product. If it was their fault we charge that ass $32.50 for looking at the thing or more if they wanna fix it whatever it may be. STIHL is good with warranty but they take too long to approve it.

How do you go about getting approval and are you using E-service?

How do you go about getting approval and are you using E-service?

Ya we use e-service and file it there but it dont never get approved under a week. THey're slow over there. Not a big deal because it eventually gets approved.

Just curious, do they pay your rate or their rate?

Depends in your state. In California they gotta pay posted shop labor rate but even still they determine how long a job takes. that dont include the diagnostic time but just the time of the repair. Thats 1 reason shops dont like doin warranty cause they make less money and gotta deal with the process. Understandable but a customer deserves a warranty if it's legit.

Ya we use e-service and file it there but it dont never get approved under a week. THey're slow over there. Not a big deal because it eventually gets approved.

Thats weird. So do you go ahead and fix the unit or wait for approval?

Thats weird. So do you go ahead and fix the unit or wait for approval?

aint nobody got time to wait a week we just do it and like i said they are good with the approvals so we never been denied yet. but if they did deny us im sure the boss would chew them out and wait for approval on future warranties. thats gonna leave a bad taste in the customers mouth.

Yup, in Virginia they have no choice in the matter by law. I like doing warranty work, there is no bickering over the labor cost and parts like there is with customers sometime...

aint nobody got time to wait a week we just do it and like i said they are good with the approvals so we never been denied yet. but if they did deny us im sure the boss would chew them out and wait for approval on future warranties. thats gonna leave a bad taste in the customers mouth.

Good to hear. Now if the unit is 1-2 years out of warranty and the customer wants warranty whatcha do?

Good to hear. Now if the unit is 1-2 years out of warranty and the customer wants warranty whatcha do?

depends on the customers attitude and exactly what the problem is... we had some issues with the br 500's leaking thats been over a year and granted they werent using ultra and 89 gas but we give a call to stihl and they say go head and put a new block on it. Stihl is one of the better companies to deal with regarding warranty.

With ECHO, we get the equipment, confirm the purchase date, then confirm fault, if it is the fault of the owner, we call the owner.

If it is the fault of the saw, we find out what is wrong, what is needed, and file a claim, usually that day we get a notification that it was approved, we do the repair.. we order parts, or install parts off the shelf as needed, do the work, confirm the fix, get all info off the equipment, and cal the customer. upon completion of the repair, we use the E-claim to tell ECHO that the repair is completed, and they credit our account...

However, if we come across a peice of equipment that is just out of warranty, and we see that something happened totally not at the fault of the user, we call the REP and explain the case, usually they okay a fix.

For instance we had an ECHO PB600 something blower, it was registered commercial as it was bought by a business, but we know for a fact that it is being used once a week to blow off a businesses driveway and parking lot...It was like 4 months out of 2 years old and suddenly just stopped.

Motor was seized tight, took me 45 minutes to get the cylinder off. But there were no signs of straight gas, and it looked like a lean seizure.

We called the rep, and he said there was a small issue with some of that model sucking air past the cylinder gasket on early serials.. no way to prove on this one as the gasket was destroyed trying to remove the cylinder. They sent us a new piston, cylinder, gaskets, wrist pin and clips, and covered all the labor for the customer...awesome.

depends on the customers attitude and exactly what the problem is... we had some issues with the br 500's leaking thats been over a year and granted they werent using ultra and 89 gas but we give a call to stihl and they say go head and put a new block on it. Stihl is one of the better companies to deal with regarding warranty.

Good job...

One thing we have trouble with quite often is people who buy ECHO equipment at Home Depot...Why they refuse to buy the equipment from the people who will be fixing and servicing it, paying the same amount for the same equipment that we would setup for free (and register online), beyond me...but anyways..

ECHO includes a nice warranty registration sheet in every box, dealer shipped, Home Depot, whatever...You can register by filling in a few boxes and dropping it in the mail, or do it online, I think you can call it in too..not sure on that one..but people dont do this.

So 2 years down the road when a screw that holds the gas tank on backs out because the customer failed to re-install it correctly after removing the tank for cleaning..and the screw gets sucked into the flywheel and messes everything up...and they want it fixed under warranty...and they cant find a reciept, or anything....it is ECHO's fault..:dizzy:

One thing we have trouble with quite often is people who buy ECHO equipment at Home Depot...Why they refuse to buy the equipment from the people who will be fixing and servicing it, paying the same amount for the same equipment that we would setup for free (and register online), beyond me...but anyways..

ECHO includes a nice warranty registration sheet in every box, dealer shipped, Home Depot, whatever...You can register by filling in a few boxes and dropping it in the mail, or do it online, I think you can call it in too..not sure on that one..but people dont do this.

So 2 years down the road when a screw that holds the gas tank on backs out because the customer failed to re-install it correctly after removing the tank for cleaning..and the screw gets sucked into the flywheel and messes everything up...and they want it fixed under warranty...and they cant find a reciept, or anything....it is ECHO's fault..:dizzy:

for this reason we register everything ourselves online. it dont take but a couple minutes.

we sell echo too and the dumbass commercial guys think cause they register under homeowner use they will get 5 yrs coverage when its easy to tell how a machines been used.

for this reason we register everything ourselves online. it dont take but a couple minutes.

we sell echo too and the dumbass commercial guys think cause they register under homeowner use they will get 5 yrs coverage when its easy to tell how a machines been used.

Yup, and even our Commercial users arent breaking their ECHO's...but the outward appearance makes it obvious.

You know whats funny is when these turds come to the shop with their Home Depot or ebay Echo and want warranty from us. My boss tells em to go back where they got it and get warranty, theyll say home depot wont warranty it, boss'll shrug and go on about her business.

Back