Free to a good home,a cursed n.o.s./p.o.s. 026 stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with the choke problem. If it vibrates closed you wont hit the rpm your looking for.

The other thing Ive seen more often than I want to are ignitions on 361's that fail lowering the rpm. From the list of things that you have done, that is what I would look at next if your sure the choke is ok. Swap on a coil from a known good unit to check.

you will figure it out eventually. It is probably just something that you are overlooking since you have spent so much time on it already. Take a step back and have a beer then you will see what is wrong. Good luck.

If you want to send it my way I can probably diagnose it for you.

If you can't get it sorted, take Jacob up on his offer. The shipping both ways and some $$ for his troubleshooting would be worth it for a running 026, especially given what you've already done.

Problem solved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I see we have quit a few comedians' here. Well i knew the internals were right,so i put both saws side by side,and went clear through both fuel and air systems. I realized one thing was different,i finished this saw last,and had not recieved all of my parts yet. I put an aftermarket "flocked" air filter on,as well as an aftermarket fuel pickup. I changed both to oem and just like that,night and day difference. Not sure about about the pickup,but the airfilter flows almost no air,chi-com junk! It came from a source on ebay,whom i do alot of business with. He has already agreed to make it right. Anyway,broke it in for 1/2hr. @ 5000-7000rpm on the dyno. Then put it in some pretty good pulls,it is 4-stroking nicely @ 14,000-14,200 rpm. I did not notice the choke closing at all on the aftermarket filter,i just think it does not flow right. Needless to say,i am happy,and lesson learned! Thanks everyone for the help!

Good to hear you figured it out, never heard of a new filter that is incapable of flowing enough air but I had one come in several years ago that had a well used nylon mesh type filter on it. That saw could not reach 10,000 WOT and had been through two shops before I seen it, with the filter off it would run 14500 no problem, filter on choked all to heck. Filter must have been washed in laquer thinner, acetone or something that nearly fused the filter mesh together.

Im glad you got it figured out.
There are some very smart guys here, and everybody gets frustrated every once in a awhile.
Nobody was born knowing all this crap, for me what I do is put it down before I throw it, and step away for a while (week) and try it again.

Good job.

Awesome :msp_thumbup: now we know something else to look out for. I bet you feel better hanging on to it and getting it fixed yourself.

Last edited:
GREATTTTTT now you can send someone a good saw instead of a POS.

Seriously, congrats glad you got it fixed......glad you stuck with it.

I see we have quit a few comedians' here. Well i knew the internals were right,so i put both saws side by side,and went clear through both fuel and air systems. I realized one thing was different,i finished this saw last,and had not recieved all of my parts yet. I put an aftermarket "flocked" air filter on,as well as an aftermarket fuel pickup. I changed both to oem and just like that,night and day difference. Not sure about about the pickup,but the airfilter flows almost no air,chi-com junk! It came from a source on ebay,whom i do alot of business with. He has already agreed to make it right. Anyway,broke it in for 1/2hr. @ 5000-7000rpm on the dyno. Then put it in some pretty good pulls,it is 4-stroking nicely @ 14,000-14,200 rpm. I did not notice the choke closing at all on the aftermarket filter,i just think it does not flow right. Needless to say,i am happy,and lesson learned! Thanks everyone for the help!

Glad you sorted it ,but you probably wont see it move as it only moves about a 1/16 of an inch at the little plastic lever and at wot with everything vibrating its hard to tell:cheers:

Glad you sorted it ,but you probably wont see it move as it only moves about a 1/16 of an inch at the little plastic lever and at wot with everything vibrating its hard to tell:cheers:
thanks again to everyonefor the encouragement as well as the kind words. i know it was not the choke assy. as i blocked it open. thanks again to all!

It's alway a good thing to run your saws without the air filter when tuning to see what you might be losing on the intake side. Good find STD without much helf from us. Steve
i have to say i was shocked at how much i picked up with no filter at all. makes me wonder what the big saws will do w/o the filter,too bad we can't put them in the wood that way.

Im surprised aftermarket companies dont make filters for saws. Maybe a couple out there but nothing like for cars or quads.

Can you share with us which filters are junk? Is there a specific name brand under which junk is manufactured? Do you recommend only Stihl brand and forget all of the others? Would Oregon Outdoor Equipment Parts fall into the 'J' department?
Thanks!

Last edited:
Back