Free Wood id?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPED

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Got some free wood today, anyone know what it is? Guy said he thought it was poplar.... May be two kinds of wood too since it was scattered all over. At least another cord there, but that's in a huge tree that's hanging, not touching that one.

Have to look at the leaves around the areas that you got the wood. Could be a lot of different species of hardwood, poplar and cottonwood are possible, and if no one wanted it, they are likely. Not the best firewood for heat, but it will burn. Might be a type of maple.

Last edited:
Photos 1 (ones w/diamond pattern) & 5 sure look like an Ash. Especially photo 1 with the diamond bark pattern. 5 looks like the straight clean split ash species give.

Last edited:
My guess would be tulip poplar or cottonwood. Poplar is more likely in my opinion because of the greenish case to the heartwood.

Josh

A free wood guess, cottonwood, I think you'll know when you start to split it from what others have said, stringy tough like old bull but burns ok, if it is indeed ash then there be more than me a bit *green* :D Excellent price regardless! :clap:

:cheers:

Serge

In picture #1 I see 3 approx 6" Hackberry or sugarberry logs to the right side of the PU bed. Super nice wood as far as splitting and heating goes. It is really white inside without a discernable heartwood. Really straight grained and fairly thin bark that doesnt hold a lot of dirt to dull the cutters. Doesnt seem to take as long as other woods to 'season out". In a pinch I have cut it one week and burned it the next after it was split. There is also a piece of this in #6 in the background behind what looks like an Elm. Both burn well and hot once they are dry. Dont expect either to last more then a couple of years stacked on the ground.

I like to see Hackberry burning with a nice blue flame without any sparks.

In picture #1 I see 3 approx 6" Hackberry or sugarberry logs to the right side of the PU bed. Super nice wood as far as splitting and heating goes. It is really white inside without a discernable heartwood. Really straight grained and fairly thin bark that doesnt hold a lot of dirt to dull the cutters. Doesnt seem to take as long as other woods to 'season out". In a pinch I have cut it one week and burned it the next after it was split. There is also a piece of this in #6 in the background behind what looks like an Elm. Both burn well and hot once they are dry. Dont expect either to last more then a couple of years stacked on the ground.

I like to see Hackberry burning with a nice blue flame without any sparks.

Thanks for the info!! I had a feeling there were a few different kinds of wood there, one huge one came down in the ice storm and most likely took out some smaller ones, all was on the ground scattered in pieces when I got there.

Looks like hybrid poplar to me. Hybrid poplar is a cross between aspen and poplar and is planted in peoples yard because it a very fast growing tree.

Just out of curiosity, when you guys say aspen, do you mean quaking aspen- Populus tremuloides? It's one of the most common trees in the US ranging from coast to coast but I've never seen it where I live in Connecticut. We do have tons of Eastern Cottonwood- Populus deltoides here as well as Tulip Poplar Liriodendron tulipifera but they are both much different than quaking aspen. The last time I was out west I remember seeing stands of quaking aspen and the bark is quite different than either poplar or cottonwood.

Josh

Aspen is in the poplar family, yes, along with cottonwoods. Most aspens are quaking, and that tree spans from the left to right coasts in the US, as you say. Here in the west almost all aspens are quaking (other than nursery planted types). Back in the upper midwest and northeast they also have bigtooth aspens though, with a more rounded leaf and rougher bark than quaking.

My guess is that is is about the same as cottonwood for firewood and heat though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back