FS90-R review/first impressions, with pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
For reference, I ended up buying an FS90 R trimmer a little over a week ago, see thread: http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=68689.

I figured, for anyone waffling about buying a new trimmer, I'd share what my impressions are of my new toy.

After getting the trimmer home, gassing it up and starting it up, I adjusted the shoulder strap and starting going to town. Kind of my MO with new toys. On start up, I though- wow, sounds weird (I've never heard a small 4 stroke engine). I put in my ear plugs, flipped down the PC glasses and started working around the garage. Did about a 1/2 tank of light stuff. It feels like a very slow engine, geared very high. Plenty of torque. I'm anxious to get into some deep stuff, so I decide to tackle the front side of the barn, because you can see it from the road and it looked ugly-

Before:
P1020007_renamed_16412.jpg

After:
P1020010.jpg

I was impressed with the performance in tall, thick grass. Bear in mind, of course, I'm basing the comparison on an FS55, however, I have no complaints about how the 90 performs. Of course, I had to take the line spool out and re-wrap it before I got very far, because the line wouldn't feed at first. Clearly whoever wrapped it at the dealer either didn't know how, or was in a big hurry. Not a big deal though. I did all that plus that fence line and some above it on one tank of fuel. Good economy...

A couple days later, once I got the garden tilled, I decided to knock down some of the grass out back. It's already getting ahead of me (at this point, it's well ahead of me).

Before (with gratuitous tractor pr0n :) )
P1020013.jpg

P1020019.jpg

Right after I took this pic I had my first minor problem with my trimmer. The engine started idling poorly and stalling. I had to choke it to start it warm... something wasn't right. Eventually it stopped running altogether. I noticed the bulb had no fuel in it.... weird.

Well, I had plenty of flower beds to attend to so I put the trimmer in my Outback and decided to go see the dealer the next day after work.

I bring in the trimmer, tell him the symptoms. He knows immediately what the problem is. Apparently, there's no clamp to hold the fuel line in the tank onto the pick up, and the line fell off and was sitting on the bottom of the tank. When I looked in the tank, all I could see was the screen of the filter, so I thought I was good there. Apparently not. He said it's a real common issue. Maybe Stihl will correct this in future models. If I were buying one new and knew about this though, I'd ask before I take it home for them to put a little clamp on there like the guy did for mine.

Anyway, once that little issue was solved, I got back to the serious business of playing with it.

After doing some of the trimmer near the barn and the old silo foundations...
P1020023.jpg

...I put on the four tooth grass blade.

I could tell right away I was using the blade precisely for what it was designed. The engine worked much less, there was less resistance going through the tall thick grass, which is especially thick near those silos from years of silage being spilled all over the place. Here's what it looked like post grass carnage-

P1020024.jpg

If you have good eyes, you can spot the silver shaft of the trimmer on the silo foundation to give you an idea of the scale of that area I did. All on two tanks of fuel.

Here's the unit with the grass blade on-
P1020026.jpg

So overall, I'm impressed with the build quality and performance of my new trimmer. $300 very well spent, especially if this lasts anywhere near the length of time our other Stihl products have. I'm also very happy I went with the D handle. With all the buildings, rocks, walls, trees and uneven ground I'm constantly working on, bicycle handles just wouldn't have made sense. I'm actually pretty happy with the should strap too. I don't use it much when I'm doing stuff like that stone wall in but on flat ground it's nice to have.

If you have any specific questions, ask away, or feel free to PM me. I'd recommend this trimmer (or another in this model line) very highly to someone with similar work to do.

Hey good job Marc. Looks like you had quite a bit of trimming there and looks like the fs90 handled it well. Just wondering is it to steep or to many rocks to get closer with the mow I know you must have for that tractor of yours.:cheers: :cheers:

The problem with the fuel line falling off was a production issue. ONE guy found that he could put the hose on partially and improve his speed while welding the tank halves together... Oh oh... thousands of units in distribution before he problem was found. Dealers are supposed to check the FS90 fuel line before sale.

As a safety measure, a nipple has been put on the tank connector.

BTW...great pics...

Last edited:
Looks good, gave that thing a nice "break in"

Today I only did about 5 hours trimming, but it did occur to me I should get a helmet cam so I can record the carnage :clap:

Superb write-up and pics. This is what this site is about. I'm impressed!

It is impressive just how much work you can actually get done with a competent trimmer, especially coming from homeowner-grade stuff. My Echo SRM260 and Stihl FS200 continually impress me with just how much they can get done. They're so good, in fact, that I sold my walk-behind brushcutter now that my brushcutting has become strictly weed-and-grass cutting

Hey good job Marc. Looks like you had quite a bit of trimming there and looks like the fs90 handled it well. Just wondering is it to steep or to many rocks to get closer with the mow I know you must have for that tractor of yours.:cheers: :cheers:

Well, oddly enough, I share the Kubota with my father, and we do have a 4 ft bush hog, but he's got it at his house. I needed the loader and rototiller but the Kubota will be going back soon. I've got a '49 Farmall Super C with a cutter bar mower, but all the knives are dull and it doesn't do a great job cutting. Plus the mower and the tractor need a little bit of work (nothing major). I'll hopefully have a 5 ft bush hog next year to put on the MF 85 that's currently pulling around the wood wagon. There's also a flail mower that could be rehabbed, but if I start haying, I'll probably just get a disc mower.

The problem with the fuel line falling off was a production issue. ONE guy found that he could put the hose on partially and improve his speed while welding the tank halves together... Oh oh... thousands of units in distribution before he problem was found. Dealers are supposed to check the FS90 fuel line before sale.

As a safety measure, a nipple has been put on the tank connector.

BTW...great pics...

Thanks... that's interesting. Wonder if that guy still has a job. Anyway, it was a nuisance but I was just glad it was nothing serious. Glad you're on top of it... wish my dealer was...

Looks good, gave that thing a nice "break in"

Today I only did about 5 hours trimming, but it did occur to me I should get a helmet cam so I can record the carnage :clap:

*Only* 5 hours, holy crap. All of that in my pictures probably took only 6 or 7 total.

Superb write-up and pics. This is what this site is about. I'm impressed!

It is impressive just how much work you can actually get done with a competent trimmer, especially coming from homeowner-grade stuff. My Echo SRM260 and Stihl FS200 continually impress me with just how much they can get done. They're so good, in fact, that I sold my walk-behind brushcutter now that my brushcutting has become strictly weed-and-grass cutting

Thanks, I know I always like hearing real life experiences with equipment if I'm looking for new stuff. I was very impressed with what I could do with that little trimmer as well. As soon as I have a nice bush hog to compliment it, I'll hopefully have this place looking a little better.

One thing I forgot to mention in my write up- another benefit of the grass blade is it doesn't chop the snot out of the grass... the benefit in that being your whole left side doesn't turn the color green.

Of course, as dumb as it sounds, I kinda like getting all green sometimes. You know you've got something accomplished when you've got enough sod on your arm and leg to cover over most of the bare patches in the front yard :D

i have the fs 90r, love it, got the brushcutter attachment, rigged it so it will use 10 inch table saw blade with the right size washer, use it for brush and tall grass. all the kombi heads fit right on, makes a real nice polesaw

I just bought one myself. I really don't need a trimmer this powerful, but it is so torquey i just had to have one. Here in the lower mainland of BC, green things grow to a density I have never seen anywhere else in the world. My old homelite straight shaft trimmer had to be worked at the edges of thick growth. Same with a small echo trimmer that I have handed down to my daughter. it worked great on scattered clumps, but couldn't go into the deep green. The fs 90 doesn't even burp when stuffed into heavy grass and weeds that you couldn't walk in. It lays waste to any herb with the temerity to grow where it can reach. It's smooth running, and idles like a car.
It does eat line with alacrity though. sips gas so I guess it comes out even.

Thanks for the great review.

I just bought one and tried it out--and am glad the gas line thing was corrected... Anyway, it's a beast!!! Love it...

I take care of quiet a bit of rugged mountain property, with fields etc., and have been through probably 10 ryobi's, Bolens,,,etc... I fired this FS90r up, and can't say what I said after using it after about just 10 minutes.

Stihl fs90r

I bought my fs90r late fall of 2010. It sat unused, no gas, and not even started all winter.

I broke it out this spring and went to work. As of right now I wish I had looked into it more before buying. It runs very hot, if my arm touches the shroud on top I have to move it before I get burnt. It has an intermittent miss at wot.

I'm not one to give up on Stihl. I took it to a dealer. I was told that the fs90r uses a rev limiter that cuts the spark. I was told the length of the line may have been too short causing the engine to over rev( that I can't get on board with, I alway bump check line for maximum engine rpm.)
:disapointed:
I'm not a landscaper. All my equipment of choice is a Stihl product. I'm hoping the dealer tells me something wasn't right from the factory, otherwise I'll be selling the Stihl fs90r. :frown:

Im glad y'all dug this one up. Im tryin to decide between an FS90 or FS130 both R versions. Im leanin more towards the 130 due to the stronger motor for Kombi attachments....

Now I'm not trying to beat down the Stihl... just want to point out that with a muff mod and some porting, the Ryobi SS30 equipped with the Grass Gator blades can easily cut through hay without bogging down...

I mowed down hay yesterday and it was awesome!!! Came into the house when I was done trimming around, and momma said "Go back outside and get all of that grass off of your jeans!!!" :D

I'm sure a high end Stihl like this would love a muff mod and some porting, as it is 'restricted' from the factory... so if that were to be done on this thing, you might be looking at something like 2hp...:blob2:

I believe my Ryobi is now putting out 2hp, up from a bit over 1hp rated at the factory... this thing rips!! Ported stuff is fun. :blob2:

But if it ain't broke, you don't have to fix it...

promac610

Good stuff man! So, if the FS130R is rated @ 1.9 h.p. then theoretically w/ a muff mod one could possibly be lookin @ 3 h.p. ?

Last edited:
Good stuff man! So, if the FS130R is rated @ 1.9 h.p. then theoretically w/ a muff mod one could possibly be lookin @ 3 h.p. ?

I'm curious about this as well as I'm considering a FS130.
Seems best bang for the buck...only $30 over a 110 and .5 more hp
But the 130 is a 4-mix engine...with valves...
is the muffler choked up like with a 2-cycle or is it more open like a 4-stroke???
And it would have to be dramatic...for me to void a 2 year warranty...
or 4 years if that 6-pack of Ultra double the warranty is still in effect.

Yeah...would a regular MM do anything dramatic??
:cheers:
J2F

I guess the KM90 is the kombi version of the FS90. I just used mine for a couple hours. I'm a big fan. It's still pretty new, so i have a plan. If my KM90 does well all summer i'll buy a KM130 also. I figure since i already have all the Kombi attachments......what the hell?

Back