FS90-R review/first impressions, with pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The four mix units do not seem choked up like the two stroke units.
We love our 90R, if I buy another one I'll buy the 130, not that much more money. I haven't really run into any grass the 90 won't handle.
Pro-Mac these engines have valves they are more like a four stroke motor. Don't bet any money against one with your ryobi, it'll be easy money for the the stihl owner. I've got four FS 80's one of the best two stroke stihl trimmers ever made, they were the choice of many a pro lawn jockey's, a very strong trimmer, I would have lost money betting on the 80 beating the 90 when the four mix first came out.
You just have to run one to understand, they are an animal, gobs and gobs of torque. Think 660 vs 250 stihl in chainsaw terms.
I've also got a Shinny 242 and it doesn't hold a candle to the FS 90 and a 130 just walks away from a 90. You can get a pole saw attachment, I think it has a 12" bar, a tiller head, blower and broom sweeper for the non-kombi model. The exhaust note is the most deceiving thing about them, they don't sound like they are turning many rpms when in fact they are screaming.

We love our 90R, if I buy another one I'll buy the 130, not that much more money. I haven't really run into any grass the 90 won't handle.
Pro-Mac these engines have valves they are more like a four stroke motor. Don't bet any money against one with your ryobi, it'll be easy money for the the stihl owner. I've got four FS 80's one of the best two stroke stihl trimmers ever made, they were the choice of many a pro lawn jockey's, a very strong trimmer, I would have lost money betting on the 80 beating the 90 when the four mix first came out.
You just have to run one to understand, they are an animal, gobs and gobs of torque. Think 660 vs 250 stihl in chainsaw terms.
I've also got a Shinny 242 and it doesn't hold a candle to the FS 90 and a 130 just walks away from a 90. You can get a pole saw attachment, I think it has a 12" bar, a tiller head, blower and broom sweeper for the non-kombi model. The exhaust note is the most deceiving thing about them, they don't sound like they are turning many rpms when in fact they are screaming.

Thats awesome man. The 130 it is then. I thought it would be a brute. i knew the 90 was very powerful. But Im thinkin attachments and all so the 130 was where I was leanin. I bet it is an animal.....What about a muff mod to the 130?.....

Oh, these are the four mixers... totally different ball game. I was wondering why the powerhead looked a bit bigger than I am used to...

They are well set up at the factory, so that porting and muff modding is not really necessary as everything is done well... and torque is there, so that takes care of the "It ain't got enough power." problem.

I still say two stroke is the way to go, but I can see how some like the torque the four mixers make. I love two strokes... especially ones like the outboard V8 engines... :)

Anyone got a good video of one of these four mixers eating some weeds? Sounds like something I need to hear... :)

So from what you're saying, the FS90 and up are four mixers, or are all of the high end pro trimmers they sell now four mixers?

Thats awesome man. The 130 it is then. I thought it would be a brute. i knew the 90 was very powerful. But Im thinkin attachments and all so the 130 was where I was leanin. I bet it is an animal.....What about a muff mod to the 130?.....

I say everything could use a muff mod if it's a newer piece of equipment... it gets louder and sounds better, ya know... :)

Much thanks for the reply and info....indiansprings

Your posts and sharing of experienced knowledge is GOLDEN!!!
Definitely...one of the best answer guys on this site!!!
Thanks again!!
:cheers:
J2F

Cool. So basically these 4 mixers are good to go from the factory.
Well, add a 130 to the list with a new 660.........man, I better get some scratch a goin.....hahaha

Just called my local stihl dealer& he said $359 retail for the KM130 powerhead.
I forget how much my KM90 powerhead was alone because i bought attachments at the same time, but it's gotta be pretty close.

I think the OP made a good choice getting the D handle. I got the bicycle handle fs250 because of need to use a brush blade fairly often, but find the bicycle bars fairly awkward on slopes and such.
May convert to the D handle at some point.

Oh My!!!!! Dyslexia

Tell us 'bout that 130 my good man. Inquiring minds want to know :)

I just went to look @ it to check the muffler,,, I stand corrected,,,

It is actually a 310!!!! (same HP rating) Had my 1 & 3 swapped!!! and yes it is a fourmix that is stihl under warranty,,, I dont know what one would gain from a muffler Mod on a Four stroke??? it has plenty of torque like it is!!!! and yes to the Ultra pre-mix,,,

Last edited:
I have the FS110R. I love the thing. Nothing seems to stand in its way, it has gobs of torque. You won't go wrong with either the FS90,110, or 130. I was going to get the 130, but my dealer only stocks the 110 so I got it. I am not sorry for not getting the 130.

Oh, these are the four mixers... totally different ball game. I was wondering why the powerhead looked a bit bigger than I am used to...

They are well set up at the factory, so that porting and muff modding is not really necessary as everything is done well... and torque is there, so that takes care of the "It ain't got enough power." problem.

I still say two stroke is the way to go, but I can see how some like the torque the four mixers make. I love two strokes... especially ones like the outboard V8 engines... :)

Anyone got a good video of one of these four mixers eating some weeds? Sounds like something I need to hear... :)

So from what you're saying, the FS90 and up are four mixers, or are all of the high end pro trimmers they sell now four mixers?

The strange thing is the FS250 (above the FS130) is STILL a straight 2-cycle.
Been around for many years and Stihl still has enough customers wanting it that they keep making it.
Dealer said.."if you want torque..buy the 130"....I said but the 250
has more horsepower....wtf??....He then told me the 250 was 2-stroke and the 130 was basically 4-stroke but you mix the gas and oil...no crankcase oil reservoir.

There's some good videos on youtube...
the FS110 video shows about a 1/4 acre take down of high grass/weeds.
And it's a chick doing it!!! (dude's wife) If she can do it in 9 minutes...you can too!! LOL!!!!!
J2F

Last edited:
I have the FS110R. I love the thing. Nothing seems to stand in its way, it has gobs of torque. You won't go wrong with either the FS90,110, or 130. I was going to get the 130, but my dealer only stocks the 110 so I got it. I am not sorry for not getting the 130.

+1 on the FS110R. The attachments you can buy work well. I have the hedge trimmer and brush knife. Great tool!

In 2006 i bought a ht100 with the 4mix engine and I love it. It starts easier than any of my 2 strokes and is quiet. Oh and gotta love the torque. Tomorrow I pick up a new ht 131 and I may buy a 130 Kombi as well. For residential work I highly recommend them due to the low noise issue.

In 2006 i bought a ht100 with the 4mix engine and I love it. It starts easier than any of my 2 strokes and is quiet. Oh and gotta love the torque. Tomorrow I pick up a new ht 131 and I may buy a 130 Kombi as well. For residential work I highly recommend them due to the low noise issue.

Yeah the HT 131 of ours gets lots of use,, as with any of the fourmixers use the Ultra Synthetic Pre-mix

The strange thing is the FS250 (above the FS130) is STILL a straight 2-cycle.
Been around for many years and Stihl still has enough customers wanting it that they keep making it.
Dealer said.."if you want torque..buy the 130"....I said but the 250
has more horsepower....wtf??....He then told me the 250 was 2-stroke and the 130 was basically 4-stroke but you mix the gas and oil...no crankcase oil reservoir.

There's some good videos on youtube...
the FS110 video shows about a 1/4 acre take down of high grass/weeds.
J2F

Yeah the FS250 is a tuff, stout Machine, I think with the EPA credits that Stihl gets from all the 4 mix models they are allowed to keep producing them yes they are straight two cycle...

So, let me get this straight. The FS130 is a weedeater only. To run the Kombi equipment you must have the KM130? I was thinkin you could run some other attachments with the FS130?
This would apply as well to the FS90/KM90 FS110/KM110 too.

So, let me get this straight. The FS130 is a weedeater only. To run the Kombi equipment you must have the KM130? I was thinkin you could run some other attachments with the FS130?
This would apply as well to the FS90/KM90 FS110/KM110 too.

You can get alot of the kombi type attachments for the FS90,110,130. They replace the trimmer head assy on the bottom where the kombi is basically 1/2 of the trimmer. Same type of concept just different.

Back