full chisel or??? for hardwoods

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browneye

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i was wondering if any body else cuts hedge or 'osage orange'..i am using full chisel chains and they do really good when they are new ,,but after that they dont last very long..is their a nother style that would work better, i was thinking about trying a full skip chain???

I use square chisel 3/8" semi skip for cutting up the hard dead oaks on nearby ranches for firewood. I tweak them with a square chisel file and can cut a couple of cords with it before putting it in a grinder and gradually converting it to round chisel chain.

i was wondering if any body else cuts hedge or 'osage orange'..i am using full chisel chains and they do really good when they are new ,,but after that they dont last very long..is their a nother style that would work better, i was thinking about trying a full skip chain???

I cut hedge all the time with full chisel, they will tend to dull faster though, that ole hedge is some of the hardest wood there is.

Semi-chisel wears a smidge longer before needing the file.

Stihl RM/RMC is the stuff!!!
It just isn't a fast.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back