FYI - Northern Chainsaw Sharpener

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that dressing brick is not good at all. It's even worse on the Oregon wheels -- they must be quite a bit harder than the wheels that come with the unit.

Has anybody used the Oregon dressing brick on their wheels yet? Is it better?

God bless,
Chris

NT grinder arrives today

The new grinder arrived today. I'll try to take a look at it today, but probably won't get to doing anything with it for a week or two. Stihl 041, I sent the money for the shim a few days ago. If you don't get it, please let me know.
Thanks for all who made these shims possible.

I agree that dressing brick is not good at all. It's even worse on the Oregon wheels -- they must be quite a bit harder than the wheels that come with the unit.

Has anybody used the Oregon dressing brick on their wheels yet? Is it better?

God bless,
Chris

I was thinking this over and decided to just drop the bomb on the dressing stick issue.

The ultimate in wheel dressing sticks is the Norton Norbide Stick!

3rd one down.
http://www.woodtechtooling.com/Cleaning_Sticks/cleaning_sticks.html

If you think this is expensive, they used to be well over $100. Their fragile, (like glass) and spendy but they will last longer than you or I if used properly. Given the price and fragility their not for everyone, But well worth the money if you need one.

The sticks above this on that page are better than the stick that comes with the grinder, but the Norbide is nearly as hard as Diamond.

You could probably find them cheaper than this and easily cheaper for a used or broken one on Ebay.;)

I was thinking this over and decided to just drop the bomb on the dressing stick issue.

The ultimate in wheel dressing sticks is the Norton Norbide Stick!

If you think this is expensive, they used to be well over $100. Their fragile, (like glass) and spendy but they will last longer than you or I if used properly. Given the price and fragility their not for everyone, But well worth the money if you need one.

probably find them cheaper than this and easily cheaper for a used or broken one on Ebay.;)
kooll--only thing--the site has a 2000??????????? date on it--they dont even look at their own site--sheesh--

I finally got around to installing the washer kit on my grinder. Man what a difference it made. That was basically the only mod that i did to it, and it works great. Thanks guys!

woodchux--and----between the price of the grinder--and the wonderful shim kit--makes the oregons look bad expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:biggrinbounce2: :biggrinbounce2:

I actually felt bad about buying this grinder and undercutting our American workers,for about five minutes. It does a great job, better than the saw shop around here. They burn your cutters, making them not fileable. Took my time on the first chain and only ruined one cutter. It was a chain I rarely used anyhow. I never liked it. Oregon vanguard safety chain. After sharpening the thing was actually a pretty good chain. I used it for a good two hours before I swapped to a Stihl RS. The cutting speed was pretty close between the two. The oregon was alot smoother. :cheers:

yup--italy--tecomec--part of same company that makes olympyk??????--now esco saws--not efco??? cause the distributor that sold olys--sold the tecomec sharpeners also---hmmmmmmm-------

Chain Stop Play

Two other things about this grinder that could use attention.

1: the clamp for the chain, I find I really have to push hard on it to hold the chain tight, so the cutter doesn't move when the grinding wheel hits it, anybody else notice this.

2:The chain stop, it has a little play, if it could be tightened up a bit, possible would cut down on the different tooth length's.

Anybody address these issues yet? If not I may have to think of something.

Thanks

After playing with the grinder for a bit, I too felt the play in the chain stop was just a bit too much. I decided to replace the original 8mm bolt with a shoulder bolt. Its a perfect fit in the existing sleeve and makes a noticeable difference. Here's a pic showing the original bolt next to the new shoulder bolt.
attachment.php

Here's a pic showing the chain stop assembly installed. There's an arrow pointing to the new shoulder bolt.
attachment.php

The only downside is the threads on the shoulder bolt are only 6 mm. A 6mm nut and washer will tighten up fine, but its a bit tricky holding the nut to tighten it. Here's one more pic showing the nut.
attachment.php

Dan

Latest posts

Back