Gas cans!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a can called no-spill at home. It seems to work fine for filling up my lawn gear. The can is around 20.00 for a 1.5 gallon can but it is made in America and all you have to do is push on the small green button and the fuel flows good. I like it much better than any other no spill can I have ever used.

Scott

I 'll try taking that nozzle apart tonight after work.If that doesn't work then it's going in the garbage.I never was one to hit yard sales,but now I'm on a MISSION!

You guys think filling saws is bad with those things, try balancing on the back of an excavator or tractor and tipping 5 gallons of diesel in without getting an oil bath, no thanks! I fitted and gasketed old style spouts for filling all my stuff and keep the new ones for transport to keep the green police happy.

Welcome to the club.

Yard sales, Garage sales, Barn sales, Farm auctions,Military surplus.

Everything new, is gonna have some sort of dumbassed EPA Ecofascist, Green nazi, Hippie engineered, piece of #### on it, that creates a bigger hazzard than it saves.

The Rocker switch nozzles can be tweaked to almost work safely, Just delete the stupid switch lock and remember to burp the can before pouring, or you'll blast fuel all over the saw and back into your face.

Good luck on the quest.
Yard sale seasone is coming!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

This ^^^

I actually like the Blitz cans with the black or green push lever for the valve. Yes, they do go slower, but it makes it very easy to control the flow as the tank gets close to full. Removing the safety switch is the key. It pops right out with pliers. Just pull up on the level, it will "pop" off the valve part and this will allow you to get to the bottom side where the switch is attached. Just latch onto it and yank it off, it doesn't matter if you break it, it's going in the trash anyways.

I drilled a hole in the can, by the handle. Put a sheet rock screw in the hole. Before you start to pour, take the screw loose. Lets air in so it doesn't start and stop all the time.

I still have 2 old 5 gal Eagle metal cans, and 2 of the 2 1/2 gal ones. I guard them with my life. I might leave a saw in the back of the truck, but the cans go in the cab. I can buy another saw, but not another can.
I also have a bunch of the 5 gal heavy plastic jugs that VP sells, although they are labled " Liquid Containers" not gas any more, even tho that is what they have been used for for years. They just changed the label to get around the regs, lol.
These are perfect for fueling equipment with.

I ran out of gas on my Harley a couple summers ago and had to buy one of those new 1 gallon jugs at the gas station. I had more of the gas on the side of the road than in my tank. I left it on the side of the rode once I got the bike started.

I don't know how thats better for the environment.

this is what I use for my mix.... kind a one way valve that opens with a latch... works good so far. and you can regualte the flow with pressure from your thumb

Shop Blitz 1+ Enviro-Flo Gas Can at Lowes.com

I have one of these cans and it works good. You do need to remove the safety tab though. Once that is removed it's a great container.....gas won't spill and it is airtight. Easy to pour too :cool2:

I use an old school 2 or 2.5 gallon round metal safety can. The handle has a hinge that also activates the vent when pouring fuel. It has roughly a 1/2" flex pipe type of spout, and a replaceable gasket between the spout and can. It never leaks, tips over or causes me to spill any fuel. I always hear people say..."OMG, you have a metal fuel can" yes i do! and the safety factor isnt as great as they think. I wouldnt trade it for anything:msp_biggrin:.

In fact i always keep my eye open for more of them at garage sales, buying them new is way to expensive for me. I have a problem spending 100.00 on a metal fuel can LMAO:dizzy:

I gotta wonder if we aren't letting ourselves get boxed in, by the dip####s that think they know what is best for us peons.

There has to be a way around the ridiculous nozzles.
PVC fittings and that sort of thing.

Gotta run to the hardware anyhow..Maybe the old coot plumber over there has some ides.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

just looked at gas cans last week, the cheapest 5 gallon one i could find was over 10 bucks. thats why you hit up old farm auctions :rock: and score on the old style metal ones. you can normally pick them up under 5 dollars and thats for 5 gallon cans.

I had one of the EPA unvented 5 gallon cans last summer, left it sitting in the sun while I was mowing. Came back to it to gas up my rider, and the can had split at the seam. Funny how the good ol' boys that make up the EPA rules don't want the vapors from my gas can released, but losing 5 gallons of gas from a busted can is all well and good.

The Blitz cans work great for me...push the little switch back till it catches, then you can turn the can upside down if you want without spilling a drop. Then press on the lever, as much as you want to flow out--not a drop on the ground.
They also have an adapter for the military "jerry" cans that will allow you to use an enviro-flo spout on them as well. I saw one at an Ace Hardware, but you had to buy the can too. Email the company, they may start selling just the adapter.

Is there a source for a regular old fashioned gas can? I hate this new can,you have to pull on the nozzle(or rest it on the edge and push down) to get it to pour and it doesn't have a vent.I usually end up spilling more gas then what goes in the saw! It pours a little out,then gurgles and then a whole bunch pours out.

Oohh You have a 1st generation enviro-can. Yeah those were a real pain in the ass. The new ones with a thumb lever aren't as bad. After you rip out the locking tab.

Oohh You have a 1st generation enviro-can. Yeah those were a real pain in the ass. The new ones with a thumb lever aren't as bad. After you rip out the locking tab.

The trick on the 1st gen sliding lock gizmo is pretty straight forward.

Rip the Little Commie butterfly valve out, and use a rubber Cane tip for a stopper, then install a gutted tire valve body for a vent.

This is ridiculous.

I was at the Hardware and had the owner worked up to a froth over the new cans. It seems he went to fuel a mower recently, and the Hippie can spewed gas all over him and an employee.

We got a few ideas on making a workable spout, but in the end, simply gutting the 1st Gen. spouts and using the tire stem is about the cheapest alternative.

The chineese are ticking me off to no end.

They import Knock off saws and other products with impunity, but they wont make and import old school nozzles...Dang it!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The chineese are ticking me off to no end.

They import Knock off saws and other products with impunity, but they wont make and import old school nozzles...Dang it!!

I'm pretty sure it's OUR government trying to turn us into pyres. They hate us you know; those of us who want to think for ourselves and ESPECIALLY those of us who think we are responsible for our own actions. How could we be so insolent when they know what's best for us?

I'm pretty sure it's OUR government trying to turn us into pyres. They hate us you know; those of us who want to think for ourselves and ESPECIALLY those of us who think we are responsible for our own actions. How could we be so insolent when they know what's best for us?

LOL!!
Yep!

But somehow the EPA can block imported pre-ban gas can nozzles, but not childrens toys soaked in arsenic and lead?

I demand the same bumbling incompetence be applied to Gas can nozzles!!! It's not fair!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back