Gas Mixture Question (25.6 ounces light)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trek5900

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got some new to me Stihl Hp Ultra. I dumped it in my gas can and headed to the gas station. I needed 2.5 gallons of gas but was going to put in 2.4 gallons.
I use Marathon premium.

The pump shut off at 2.2 gallons. After a WTF moment I discovered my gas can is only a 2 gallon can. I am .2 of a gallon short from where I wanted to be which is 25.6 ounces short of the 2.4 gallons.

I am thinking I will run it a little rich rather than put the gas in another can and add about 25 ounces of gas.

Your thoughts?

The day didn't start out much better. I picked up my trailer from where I had it parked and had a tire separated. I bought the trailer new late last winter - it is one of those new trailers with 4 used tires on it. off to the tire store for 4 new tires.

While I was at it I thought I had better check the lights on the trailer. No lights. Twenty minutes later I find that the manufacture had not hooked up the ground wire.

I spent the better part of the day off fixing problems rather than cutting wood.

Some days are like that.

Thanks for your advise.

Trek5900

You should be fine.

We bought new cans a couple of years ago. They looked the like the cans we had worn out and so we just picked them up and started using them. Putting 2.5gal size bottles of mix in them, filling them with gas and never giving it another thought. One day my brother is looking at one of the cans and says "That can is only 2 gallons." Sure enough it was. I still had one of the old cans in the barn so we found it and compared and it is slightly larger although the shape matches.

Since we had cases of the 2.5 gal. bottles of mix we just bought some 2.5 gal. size cans.

Mr. HE:cool:

If your worried about it you can put some of it into your car and then add some more gas. The math could get a bit tricky but it shouldn't be that hard.

Just run it. No harm, no foul.

You have in effect, slightly leaned out the carb by 2 flea hairs.

Richen up the "H" by .000032405 turns and retune the "L" if needed.;)

Don't sweat it, your saw wont notice and neither will you.
The weather getting colder will have more effect than that itty bitty extra couple of drops of Ultra.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Back