Getting wood out when you can't get in?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in some steep hills and have a late 60s vintage Wheel Horse with dual wheels and chains. With some thoughtfully applied weight to assist gravity, time, and patience it will take me just about anywhere. Not so good in really deep snow but other than that shes a killer machine. Takes a few more trips to get your labors hauled out but it works and isn't so heavy that it tears up the woods.

Check out Logrite's Fetching arch on line. If interested you can look at mine, but, I am not interested in lending it out. I believe it would do what you want if there is enough firewood to merit the cost. One advantage is keeping the log cleaner for bucking. Combine the arch with the portable capstan winch, and the atv hitch for the arch, you could run 16' logs completely suspended, right up to the house with the smaller tractor. That package, winch/fetching arch, would probably set you back $4000., but your logs would be clean.

I can't believe the ground and water do not freeze up where you are at. Unless you are too close to the nuke plant down there, it has to freeze up eventually. Start cutting them up now, get a light weight trailer and quad, and next month when you hear the birch trees popping from freezing too hard, start pulling them out. I have pulled wood out of every kind of swamp and low area and took a 5' cross 80' tall maple 1/4 mile across a lake one trailer load at a time. Loggers have been logging in the winter for 100 years, no reason why we can't do it that way still.

Check out Logrite's Fetching arch on line. If interested you can look at mine, but, I am not interested in lending it out. I believe it would do what you want if there is enough firewood to merit the cost. One advantage is keeping the log cleaner for bucking. Combine the arch with the portable capstan winch, and the atv hitch for the arch, you could run 16' logs completely suspended, right up to the house with the smaller tractor. That package, winch/fetching arch, would probably set you back $4000., but your logs would be clean.

Hi Sandhill:

I really like that Logrite fetching arch. That's one mighty fine piece of equipment. (I'm jealous.) But they want $1800 for that sucker, plus another $600 for upgrades ! Granted, you get what you pay for, and with Logrite, you're getting the best. :rock: I just wish I could afford them.

I was think of building something like this. It's pretty simple. Couldn't cost but a couple hundred dollars for materials. The one in the picture is a bolt together model from Hus-Son and is $765. I'm not crazy about its axle arrangement, so I would make a small modification to strengthen the axles, and maybe add a few extra struts here and there to stiffen it up some. It could be made as long as needed to keep the log totally suspended. Living on just social security, I gotta do things on the cheap. But I do OK. No complaints. I only posted this to give the OP some options.

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
The logging arch sounds like a fine idea; in practice it can be more of a PITA getting it to the log to attach and pull out. We tried one awhile ago for firewood, pulp, and some sawlogs with the ATV. But getting the arch to the log in thick and uneven ground took more time than what I've done over the past decade: Fell, buck, hump, trailer for firewood harvested only in winter. Lower tech and does the job. Spend the money betting on the Patriots Sunday.:rock:
Anyone ?

Call me crazy but being an equipment poor wood cutter I like to think outside the box. If you want this wood bad enough then by all means go for it. You said you could get within 100 ft of most trees so I suggest a portable winch strapped to a tree at your access site or landing. Get a 100 foot cable and attach it to a tree about 6 or 7 feet off the ground nearby the cutting site. Attach the other end to your winch at the landing site also 6-7 ft off the ground. You have just made a zip line.
Of course before you strap it to both ends you'll want to install a pulley on the cable which will have a log grapple (pincers) hooked to it. Cut your trees into rounds, grab the round with the pincers hoist it up off the ground and walk it out of the woods. Take it up a notch and cut 4 foot lengths and grab it in the middle.
If you get your zip tight enough you can haul some decent weight. If you adjust your height you can make a slight downhill run by attaching higher up the tree. In order to get the log up in the air use a heavy duty ratchet strap or small chainfall from zip pulley to pincers. I know a straight line might not be possible but it is far easier to cut a path for a 1/2 inch cable then it is an atv or truck.
I have seen some portable winches for under $200 and then it is just the cable. Ask around and you might be able to borrow one.

Just a thought.

The logging arch sounds like a fine idea; in practice it can be more of a PITA getting it to the log to attach and pull out. We tried one awhile ago for firewood, pulp, and some sawlogs with the ATV. But getting the arch to the log in thick and uneven ground took more time than what I've done over the past decade: Fell, buck, hump, trailer for firewood harvested only in winter. Lower tech and does the job. Spend the money betting on the Patriots Sunday.:rock:
Anyone ?

Good points logbutcher. I've never used a log arch. At 66, I like to do things as easy as possible. But sometimes ya just gotta use good old fashioned sweat ta get'r done. And I can't believe my beloved Packers, with a 15 and 1 regular season, aren't in the Super Bowl.:frown:

Don <><

You know why the Packers didn't make it ?
It's those yellow triangles you fans wear. :hmm3grin2orange: Good PPE though.

Latest posts

Back