glut of returned saws after Irene

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s219

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So I had to run out to Home Depot last night for a yard project, and wandered through their chainsaw aisle to see what was up. There were a bunch of returned saws marked down in price. This morning I stopped at a different Home Depot near my office for more yard crap, and saw the same thing. At least 5-10 returned/markdown saws at each store.

I am guessing people grabbed the saws when Irene hit, used them, and then returned them within the allowed window. That seems real cheesy to me -- like basically a free chainsaw rental at Home Depot's expense. Most of the saws were still dirty, and had obviously been put to hard use, but I did see one that looked brand new.

The prices were marked down to 2/3 of retail from what I could tell, but the saws had "refurb" scratched into the case with an engraving tool. Not sure what that implies for warranty/etc. Some of the saws were junk models, but there were a few decent Echos in the mix.

Anyway, that left a bad taste in my mouth -- not only that a customer would behave that way, but that these saws were pretty much tossed aside.

My local Stihl/Echo dealer has had a big sign up near their cash register since Irene, saying something like "all sales final on hurricane purchases". Now I know why. I bet they learned that lesson on a previous storm.

It is cheesy IMO. If there was nothing wrong with the saw to begin with. But.....they went by store policy. Nonetheless, its gotta hurt the store.

It is cheesy IMO. If there was nothing wrong with the saw to begin with. But.....they went by store policy. Nonetheless, its gotta hurt the store.

When I think of box stores I don't tend to think of hurt, lost sales, or feeling sorry in general. They wouldn't do it if they didn't want to. It's their own fault.

I could see if the saw was too small and you needed a bigger saw or if there was a problem with it, but to use it and return it with no problem, they should be made to keep it,,,, thats just the way I see it.

When I think of box stores I don't tend to think of hurt, lost sales, or feeling sorry in general. They wouldn't do it if they didn't want to. It's their own fault.

I could certainly look at it that way and agree 110% TK :)

I am surprised that HD doesn't just return the saws to their vendors. Usually the box stores are famous for that. We used to do business with Walmart, and they were a total PITA when it came to customer returns. "No problem, Mr. Customer. We'll just ram it up our vendor's butt."

The good news is that vendors are starting to decide that the big box stores are not always worth dealing with. And when stores like HD start realizing that they are losing money on saws, they will raise prices. This will make the full service dealers more competitive.

I am just providing a different perspective. I actually kind of enjoy hearing stories about how the customers took advantage of the big box stores.

I could see if the saw was too small and you needed a bigger saw or if there was a problem with it, but to use it and return it with no problem, they should be made to keep it,,,, thats just the way I see it.

It's not the store's fault the customer bought a saw that didn't fit their needs. Up to the customer to resell the saw and make the correct purchase. IMO.

ALL SALES FINAL in my store year round. Every once in a while you get someone that says 'well you didn't tell me that', and I respond 'you didn't ask'. Goodbye!

I actually kind of enjoy hearing stories about how the customers took advantage of the big box stores.

I actually wish the Box stores wouldn't tolerate this kind of behavior by the customers because in the end it's only going to breed a society of people with this mentality and go to small shops like mine and expect things handed to them. We already live in a society like this where people have the sense of entitlement and customer is always right regardless. I really don't care what the box stores do, I'm not affected by them. Nobody should take advantage of nobody.

All of my first round of OPE and some of my current stuff when I bought my first house came from Sears's clearnace shelf. My old 42cc 18" Craftsman saw (a wild thing in all green) was $125, still using the leaf blower, the 21" push mower with the 6.5hp Honda engine and my McCulloh straight shaft trimmer came from TSC's returns shelf.

All the stuff is sold at a heavy discount and all my stuff came with full manufacturer's warranty. The Sears return shelf has always been very good to me over the years.

I agree its blatant abuse of the store's return policy...but despite that they're not following the intent of the policy, the customers ARE playing 100% by the rules.

It's one thing to return an unused item, cut one tree its yours buddy.

It's not the store's fault the customer bought a saw that didn't fit their needs. Up to the customer to resell the saw and make the correct purchase. IMO.

I dont totally agree with that. I see what you are saying, but its really a double edged sword as well. True, you dont get the customer service at Lowes, but someone like you would see that the customer got the right saw based upon what they told you they needed. Thats all.

I don't change the way I deal with people or stores based on how deep their pockets are.

If it's a crappy thing to do, then it's a crappy thing to do...period.

I dont totally agree with that. I see what you are saying, but its really a double edged sword as well. True, you dont get the customer service at Lowes, but someone like you would see that the customer got the right saw based upon what they told you they needed. Thats all.

Does the customer not have any responsibility to research his needs and buy accordingly?

Does the customer not have any responsibility to research his needs and buy accordingly?

Does the store not have the responsibility to see that the customer atleast get good advice on what to buy. Maybee ask the poor fellow no matter how rich or poor what his needs are then act accordingly?. So Guido, you in essence would have no problem selling a 65 year old man a Husqvarna 395XP for a 20" tree that fell in his yard due to a hurricane? I really dont think any sponsor on AS would do that sir. In essence what you are suggesting is out right robbery. Am I correct?
I know what your saying. But the store IMHO has a responsibility as well.

Last edited:
I guess some people are still looking for that free lunch. This country has become a welfare society. I can remember years ago when right after easter Sears would get a lot of easter hats returned. Nothing Changed.

P.S Peanut Butter is going up 40% next month due to the severe heat and drought this summer in Georgia.

I guess some people are still looking for that free lunch. This country has become a welfare society. I can remember years ago when right after easter Sears would get a lot of easter hats returned. Nothing Changed.

P.S Peanut Butter is going up 40% next month due to the severe heat and drought this summer in Georgia.

Your right Jimmy. There are people out there that do it on purpose. I'm just sayin that there are people out there that depend on the salesman to lead them in the right direction. A person IMHO, shouldnt have to research anything, if they have a good store with honest salesmen.

I actually wish the Box stores wouldn't tolerate this kind of behavior by the customers because in the end it's only going to breed a society of people with this mentality and go to small shops like mine and expect things handed to them. We already live in a society like this where people have the sense of entitlement and customer is always right regardless. I really don't care what the box stores do, I'm not affected by them. Nobody should take advantage of nobody.

My wife brought up her daughters and son to think that they could return anything they want if it wasn't completely right to them when they get it home.
This bit my step-son in the butt once when he special ordered some chrome wheels from a speed shop. After he got them he decided he didn't like the way the car looked with the rims on and wanted to return them for full refund. Well the store didn't see this deal that way. They were special order items and the felt they wouldn't be able to resell them, so they said no, that they wouldn't take them back.
So my step son took him to small claims court to try and get his money back. Some small print on the back of the invoice said something like "special order items are exempt" under the return policy section.

I think and hope he learned his lesson on that deal, to make sure he know and wants what he's special ordering.

Jim Rogers

Back