glut of returned saws after Irene

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I think of box stores I don't tend to think of hurt, lost sales, or feeling sorry in general. They wouldn't do it if they didn't want to. It's their own fault.

I'm betting that people wouldn't think that way if they owned a store that took returns for no reason at all other than the buyer was done with it! I think I had that happen to me once on a saw I sold on ebay, buyer said saw wouldn't start after a month of having it and returning it to me all cleaned up. I'm thinking he just wanted to borrow a saw for a month, at my expense. By the way, the saw started on the third pull cold after I fueled it up.

You must have had a very lengthy teenage experience! Woolco closed its American stores in 1982, Caldor filed bankruptcy in 1995 and closed in 1999 while Ames filed bankruptcy twice (1990 and 2001) and closed in 2002.

I also realize that as the business faltered that all were closing non performing stores. I think the Woolco in Charlottesville closed in the summer of 1978 (it may have been 1979).

At least in New England where I grew up, I remember Woolco going out in the early 80s -- I was getting into photography at the time and was eyeing stuff in their closeout sales, which ramped up the %-off as time went on (so it was a gamble between discount and availability -- a lot for a kid to think about). The Caldor near us went out in 1989 or so. Ames in 1990 or so.

At least in New England where I grew up, I remember Woolco going out in the early 80s -- I was getting into photography at the time and was eyeing stuff in their closeout sales, which ramped up the %-off as time went on (so it was a gamble between discount and availability -- a lot for a kid to think about). The Caldor near us went out in 1989 or so. Ames in 1990 or so.

I remember making one trip to the Woolco close out sale and was struck that they appeared to have marked the prices up before taking the going out of business discount.

Latest posts

Back