going to build a pipe for my 660

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
our build has dropped 75%. we have permanantly laid off 550ish people already and who are left are dealing with temporary layoffs. as our schedule sets right now, I am only working 12 more weeks the rest of the year!

Dang, I'm sorry to hear it... But that seems to be the way things are going all over.

I've been self employed since 2004, and I haven't had work since November '08.

Anyone know what a fabricator charges to build a pipe? With shop rates, I could see a couple hundred pretty easily.

Gink, I see you lurking... What did you charge for those bike pipes you did? (If you don't mind saying)

I normally got around 300 for some less for others, but really it ought to be more, it is a lot of time and work. I'm not sure it is really worth it sometimes, I know the one I made for mine probably took 80-100 hours of work, it was crazy... but that included the time to rework the stuff that didn't work out too.

i wasn't keepin track, but I easily had 8-10 hours in this thing. that was including two paper mockups to get the bend right.

Last edited:
i wasn't keepin track, but I easily had 8-10 hours in this thing

I think it would be fun to make one for a 2-stroker, I just have absolutley no use for one, I don't understand the theory behind the whole thing to make one of any value, could I phsically make the thing... yes, would it work right...no!!! My hats off to you Levi for doing this.

I normally got around 300 for some less for others, but really it ought to be more, it is a lot of time and work. I'm not sure it is really worth it sometimes, I know the one I made for mine probably took 80-100 hours of work, it was crazy... but that included the time to rework the stuff that didn't work out too.

I just got a PM that confirmed $300(ish) for an average... And a confirmation that it should be more. LOL

I remember many times working for free when I had my shop open... People come in and want something fab'd, and dang near have a heart attack when you give them a price... Most people have no comprehension of the cost, time, overhead, etc of operating a welding shop.

They actually begrudge you a living, but you wouldn't go to their work and give them a hard time about what they earn. :rolleyes:

What would be good porting numbers for a piped 460 or 660 work saw/GTG toy? I've heard mention of only 160*-180* of exhaust duration.

It's pretty tuff to say that a certain set of numbers will work for every one. My 046 is ported pretty high, it only has about 130psi cranking. I was playing with alky/nitro and pipes. It is absolutely embarassing on muffler. But, it will cut wood on muffler and can be used to cut some firewood without hurting it. It kind of turned out to be good for nothing..... gutless as work saw, and with no head it'll get stomped at a race.

Depends on the style, ie left right, coated, not coated. You can put $400 in one pretty quickly.

Just going to have a high temp black paint job. I have 16 bucks in steel and what ever wire and gas cost for the mig. So I'd guess $20 bucks total. and I have enough steel left for 2 more pipes.

its ready, but have to goto town to upload video. isp is to slow out here in bfe. I will hopefully get to town at about 8pm. as you will see in this upcoming video its staying on the pipe quite nicely and is ready for a 9 pin.

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i716.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid716.photobucket.com/albums/ww161/breymeyerfam/660.flv">

I don't have a stopwatch, but just using a second hand, times don't look improved much. It sounds to me like it's running WAY better though. I'd like to see you try the first chain again with this tune.

I'm going to put the first chain back on and do another vid, this last vid is rslk. the first was round ground with the rakers at like .040ish. piped with aggressive round chain was avg. 6.75 and avg on stock rslk was 6.6 seconds. Although with the stock rslk it was just beggin for more sprocket!

You get the right chain and sprocket on that thing and I think you'll have a real runner. It doesn't even sound like the same saw as last night. Got any Poplar or Pine around there you can put your square chain in?

I can see it now.....The Snellerized Pied Piper.

:cheers::givebeer:

Oh yeah! I've been making plans for a couple weeks now to pipe my 460. It may be a while though. I don't have the metal working skills to do this. I'd rather let someone that knows what they're doing build it. I'm going to dedicate the saw to the pipe and raise the exhaust to enhance the gains of the pipe. Should be a fun project.

Latest posts

Back