going to do an estimate and tree company already there

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briggstwiggs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of you have ran into this problem. So this guy calls me on thursday says he has a tree to remove and grind the stump in the back yard. I had scheduled a tree job for fri. in the same nieborhood so I told him between 10:00 and 11:00 I would be there. I show up and there is some jackass tree company already doing the work. They had no joke 6 trucks there with trailers and crap in a coltasack. I was pissed its a good thing the HO wasnt there when I rung the door bell I probley woud have strangled him. So on top of that I have my grapple truck and trailer with my stump grinder on it from the previos job,in a coltasack. I had to back up over a 1/4 mile before I could get turned around I was really pissed then. I had to manuver turns and cars in the road. Hang on let me just give you a list of crap these guys had at this job keep in mind this tree more than likley could have been take down with a pole saw maybe I am exzadgerating but it wasnt very big. They had chipper,chipper truck, f350 genie lift,f250 stump grinder,dodge2500 log trailer f450 bobcat and f150. Anyway I did get cooled down called the guy told him I was very upset that he didnt give my company a chance and if he told someone to do it he shouldnt have had me come over I wanted to tell him he owed me for 30 mins of backing my truck up with 4 people @60 dollars a person per hour. should I have charged this guy

Only once, did I slip and volunteer "free estimates". Although everyone expects them. Really a chaffer when you don't have a chance and are just there to 'set the price.'

Almost everyone in town thinks they can do a job for my price, as I am thorough. They just don't make as much profit. :)

Could have asked how much they were doing the tree for and then called HO and left message that you would do it for half that. With all that equip, you should have just waited about 10 minutes and they would have been done. Then you could have used the cul de sac to turn around in and would not have to back up? Should you charge HO? You are kidding right? I've gone to look at a job to bid and found someone else looking at it too more than once. I've found other company working on the job before too. Several times, especially recently, I get the call on tues or wed and tell them I'll look on saturday, and when I show up to look on sat, all I find is the stump. Just keep on truckin, cuz just like weeds, the trees keep springing up all over and people look up and say, "I never thought it would get so big so fast". Don't take it personnal. Some people just hit the phone book and start calling, not keeping track of who said what. Often if its been a couple days or more since the call, I'll call before I go out of my way and ask if they have found someone to do the work yet or are they still looking. It's always nice to hear them say, "you are the only one I called" to which I reply how sorry I am for being so busy, I'll be right over and have a look. Almost always get those...

So how much do you charge cause I would say 80% of the jobs I estimate I get I know you just put that price into the bill if they choose you. but how many people turn you away because its not free estimates that you know of. I guess charging for an estimate would get rid of all the people that arnt serious about doing the job, Just wasteing everyones time.

So how much do you charge cause I would say 80% of the jobs I estimate I get I know you just put that price into the bill if they choose you. but how many people turn you away because its not free estimates that you know of. I guess charging for an estimate would get rid of all the people that arnt serious about doing the job, Just wasteing everyones time.

Around here, you would get ZERO appointments after you told them you were going to charge for the privilege of talking to them.

Could have asked how much they were doing the tree for and then called HO and left message that you would do it for half that. With all that equip, you should have just waited about 10 minutes and they would have been done. Then you could have used the cul de sac to turn around in and would not have to back up?

HO told me the price as soon as I got ahold of him @ 5:00 they were still there he said he felt like he had a moving company at his house O well u win some u lose some can't get them all.

Around here, you would get ZERO appointments after you told them you were going to charge for the privilege of talking to them.

same here I believe

It has and I have even been the one cutting as the other guy drives by looking. It happens and it will keep happening. The guy with all the toys has a lot of overhead and if the job was small he was not making anything like nothing so don't worry if that is his M.O. he won't be around very long.

It has and I have even been the one cutting as the other guy drives by looking. It happens and it will keep happening. The guy with all the toys has a lot of overhead and if the job was small he was not making anything like nothing so don't worry if that is his M.O. he won't be around very long.

ya your right he had all his toys on one job site all day he will be broke before he knows it

I almost never go on a bid in my big trucks and yes I have experienced this and worse it is the nature of the beast.

me either but I was there already. glad it happens to everyone. I guess the more you do the more you'll come across. I only have 3 years in my own biz I am shure I will have more stupid questions for you vets as the years progress.

O yeah, happens all the time. I was set to do a job today and there was car parked under the tree. funny though cause the tree was cracked and I told them not to park there and I was coming today. Nobody home, both literally and metaphorically.

Latest posts

Back