Golden Rain Tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mighty Oak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I would like to know if the Golden Rain Tree is a fast growing tree? Also I would like to know if it is a missy tree? How does it hold up to storms? Is the leafs thick or are they like a ASH leaf?

What are the Pro's and Con's of this tree? I live in Ohio Northwest part.

The goldenraintree, Koelreuteria paniculata, is considered a "medium to fast" grower. According to a main authority it puts on an average of a foot and a half of growth a year over a 9 year period.

Messy is a personal perception, but this tree has long flowers (12 to 15") and fruit that are 1.5 to 2" long with seeds about the size of small peas. So I think you might consider this tree "messy". I would just be making sure it had a mulch ring sufficient to allow any debris to fall in this area and not worry about it.

This is a BEAUTIFUL tree. It is listed as being adaptable to a wide range of soils, withstands drought, heat, wind and alkaline soils, tolerates air pollutants. It does prefer full sun.

Hope this information helps.

Sylvia

I agree with S Mc

Golden rains grow in Florida and are nessy by virtually anyones standards. They are sufficiently fast growing and so easily reproduced by birds relocating seeds that they are considered an invasive plant here. Uncertain of they are illegal to plant, but are no longer sold by nurserys.

Concerning the mulch ring, total agreement, Concrete is easily and although not permanent stained, it is unsightly until it washes away.

Latest posts

Back