Good/Best Carving Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wuwayne1818

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to arborist site and carving as well. Over the winter I had a 75 foot ash tree cut down on my property and had them leave the stump so I could carve a bear. I got a new john deere cs46 (pro series) with a 16 in bar and got to work. I love the john deere but cannot find a carving bar. I am now looking for a carving saw. I talked to the guy at the stihl dealer about the 390 and 290 models but they are both close to 13 pounds. My girlfriends father has let me use his husquvarna 445 with is an excellent saw for blocking out and such. I know these saws are all moderate use saws, should i go with a pro saw, or are the occasional use saws good enough for what I need. You guys are the experts; what would be the best saw for me to get for my occasional carving. I want something that can accept a dime tip carving bar. I assume it will be between husky and stihl.

Thank you guys very much.

one other question

I hear from everyone that stihl, husky and jonsered are the best. How about echo? Is it true that they are the number one carving brand? And since some small saws have such a small tip on the bar, do you still need the dime time bar??? I just want a saw that will last a long time and help me detail my work the best.

Thanks again!

Well thanks for all the pointers, lol.

I'd just be patient with this question. There are a few very good carvers on this site but this section doesn't get a lot of traffic. I don't know a lot but you do want a saw that's easy to handle and feels comfortable to you. My Stihl MS250 is a decent saw. Carvinmark will be along eventually to give you some expert advice.
Say, is Sterling Heights down by Detroit? I grew up near Lansing.

Sorry I haven't been around for a while. Expert? LOL. I just have fun with it.
As far as saws go, I love my ms200 rear handle, tons of power and super light. It is a pro saw and should last for a very long time.
I was born and raised in Oakland County, just around the corner from you. If you want to take a tripp up north, you can try mine. Oh ya, welcome to AS.

As far as saws go, I love my ms200 rear handle, tons of power and super light. It is a pro saw and should last for a very long time.

I second the ms200 for a detail saw and nominate the biggest Stihl you can handle for blocking out large carvings... Big engine size, not bar length! The most expensive part of any job is the offal [scrap] and chips because they cost you time to make and cannot be sold so why waste time making them?

Echo? Not a product for the professional in my opinion. They don't like large changes in elevation either.

Butch
www.WoodHacker.com

Echo? Not a product for the professional in my opinion. They don't like large changes in elevation either.
Butch,

Curious, I have Steve Backus' video on carving a small bear and he speaks highly of the Echo 3450. He calls it one of the best chainsaws made.

I was curious as I spotted a near mint one, asking $150.

Anyone use the Echo 3450?

thanks

I was born and raised in Oakland County, just around the corner from you. If you want to take a tripp up north, you can try mine. Oh ya, welcome to AS.

THanks for the response! I went to the dealer and looked at several saws, the ms 200 rear handle being one of them. The saw seemed great, but the price was kind of high. I know that a pro saw is the way to go because of the hardened crank berings and such. But how do you feel about the MS 180. The salesman said he would give me the 180 with a 12 in carving bar, the chain, 1/2 in sprocket; this also includes the stock bar, sprocket and chain for $350.oo Is the ms180 an inadequate saw? I really don't know.

Thanks

Wayne

Steve Backus may be sponsored by Echo as he flys their banner on his tent at carving events. I have not used the 3450.

As for the ms180, I haven't used it but do have a couple of ms192 saws which are low profile, run great but just do not have the cutting power of the ms200.

Butch

Is the ms180 an inadequate saw?

I really doubt anyone would find it inadequate for carving but for carving on a serious level, the ms200 is a better buy. It's like any job requiring tools... There's adequate and there are better performing, longer lasting tools used by professionals.

How much carving do you plan to do? [rhetorical]

Butch

Thanks everyone

Thank you guys for the info! Does anyone know how much it will cost me for the ms 200 and also the carving bar and chain? Also, is it possible to find a carving bar for my john deere cs46 (pro series)? I looked but couldn't find anything.

Thanks again

Wayne

Where at in oakland county? It would be nice to try the saw first, lol.

Thanks

I don't do much carving anymore, but I have used the ms180 in those applications, and I was quite pleased. My only beef with that saw is it's construction (not pro), however, I have never had a problem with mine, so the issue may not actually be an issue! In terms of power and weight, it is excellent.

I don't do much carving anymore, but I have used the ms180 in those applications, and I was quite pleased. My only beef with that saw is it's construction (not pro), however, I have never had a problem with mine, so the issue may not actually be an issue! In terms of power and weight, it is excellent.

Thanks for the info, it is good to know some used and liked the saw.

Back