Good/Best Carving Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not a carver... but have watched Clayton Coss in action. He uses a fleet of Shindaiwa chainsaws, small to large. aprox 6 saws are out fitted inside a small enclosed trailer.

Coss is hands down the most famous/prolific chainsaw carver in north eastern OK. His fabulous works dot Tulsa.

img1.gif

ms180

I have an ms170 and it's ok. Had an Echo CS346. Stihl's wimpiest home owner saw is way better. I just sucked it up and got an ms200. Really no comparison. Will save me tons of time and pay me back quickly in both time and frustration savings. The extra power for same weight makes triple the price worth it for the pro. If you get into it seriously, you'll want to upgrade eventually.

The thing about a carving bar is not just the small tip with regards to detailing, but reducing kick back when working with the tip of the saw, which the small tip, going down to 1/4" chain, and carving chain, which is designed so that the back of the cutter doesn't hit the wood as it comes around, in other words it's sloped back more.

Stihl just started getting really serious about carving this year, offering their own bar, chain, and sprockets for a number of small saws. Echo's promoted carving for a long time now, so that's partly why you hear so much about them with regards to carving saws. They're light, but there's no comparison to Stihl or Husqvarna in terms of quality IMO.

Congrats

I just sucked it up and got an ms200. Really no comparison. Will save me tons of time and pay me back quickly in both time and frustration savings.

Congrats on the 200!
On the Woodcarving Illustrated Magazine forum someone called the ms200 a
"660 mini-me" which I thought was the perfect description.

Butch
http://www.WoodHacker.com/

On the Woodcarving Illustrated Magazine forum someone called the ms200 a
"660 mini-me" which I thought was the perfect description.

That was me. :)

Thanks for the picture of your scaffolding setup. That's a heck of a tree.

Thanks for the picture of your scaffolding setup. That's a heck of a tree.

Paul Jones and I carved 2 of those in Howard Amon Park in Richland, WA. I was the helper... I have a couple of photos of the finished Maple tree at the below link. None read of the Walnut tree yet.

http://www.woodhacker.com/amon/phpslideshow.php

The Maple is a carving of the city history with a few designs contributed by local school children. Walnut tree was carved with indiginous people and animals.

Last edited:
The right finish

After I finished the hair markings, I took a torch to the entire thing, then BEHR semi-transparent deck and fence stain. Is that enough, or do I need something else on it (shellac?). Does anyone have any recomendations???

Thanks

Wayne

After I finished the hair markings, I took a torch to the entire thing, then BEHR semi-transparent deck and fence stain. Is that enough, or do I need something else on it (shellac?). Does anyone have any recomendations???

Spar Varnish. Sealing the carving will slow the drying process and reduce checking. When cracks appear, I apply more varnish and let it run into the crack to keep the log as sealed as possible.

Butch

varnish

Spar Varnish. Sealing the carving will slow the drying process and reduce checking. When cracks appear, I apply more varnish and let it run into the crack to keep the log as sealed as possible.

Butch

So just use a clear marine spar varnish? I was also wondering what you thought about using some clear silicone caulk for the cracks. At least the ones on the top of the head and such. There are a few that are almost 1/2 inch in width, and I am worried that the water will freeze in the winter, then expand and...you get the picture.

Thanks

So just use a clear marine spar varnish? I was also wondering what you thought about using some clear silicone caulk for the cracks. At least the ones on the top of the head and such. There are a few that are almost 1/2 inch in width, and I am worried that the water will freeze in the winter, then expand and...you get the picture.

Yes. Just clear marine spar varnish. Glossy or satin per your taste.

The caulk won't hurt anything. It's better to start with wood having no cracks and seal it immediately. "Stitch in time..."

Butch

Paul Jones and I carved 2 of those in Howard Amon Park in Richland, WA. I was the helper... I have a couple of photos of the finished Maple tree at the below link. None read of the Walnut tree yet.

http://www.woodhacker.com/amon/phpslideshow.php

The Maple is a carving of the city history with a few designs contributed by local school children. Walnut tree was carved with indiginous people and animals.

Nice!!!

Back