Got a good load

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Wa. state has some convoluted reasoning behind permits Western Wa. if i remember correctly is $20 per cord and the area maps for slash piles or clearing areas would be hard for even Lewis and Clark to decipher! That said if you can get around the red tape of openings and closings of areas it can be money wise to get cutting permits for sure.

I went to check,, in a public park not far from me.. mostly downed oaks,, some hickory. them dumb assed park rangers,, said we leave it lay for wildlife habitat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! brain dead overeducated zeros........

I once was day dreaming, an awesome job would be someone who travels to alot of state parks harvest the wood to sell and replant trees for said parks and get paid to do it through some program. Bc ive been to some parks here in illinois and see firewood laying everywhere.

Oregon varies from region to region. Down here in south central oregon, I am paying 5 bucks a cord, with a 20.00 minimum, I have certain varieties of trees that I can cut, either dead standing or dead and down. I have yet to have anyone ask to see my permits, or to check that I have the required equipment with me.

If I was willing to drive an hour or so east, I would be allowed more cutting options as far as types of trees, but so far I have found plenty to choose from closer to home.

Oregon varies from region to region. Down here in south central oregon, I am paying 5 bucks a cord, with a 20.00 minimum, I have certain varieties of trees that I can cut, either dead standing or dead and down. I have yet to have anyone ask to see my permits, or to check that I have the required equipment with me.

If I was willing to drive an hour or so east, I would be allowed more cutting options as far as types of trees, but so far I have found plenty to choose from closer to home.
I got stopped by OSP yesterday pulling into my driveway. Tagged load on a small cord of rounds. Didn't punch my tags. He cited me with a warning. He said "if" law enforcement wanted to they could impound my truck and up to a 2K fine. He made me punch my tags, he gave my kids a couple of stickers, turned on the sirens for em. He was pretty cool about it, and of course I wasn't a di#k. It sucks there is so much attention aimed at wood cutters, but I imagine in the past guys were dumping green trees left and right. Where I grew up all we cut was juniper on devils garden. Juniper is considered a native species and noxious weed back home. We cut the sh#t out of it back then. Nobody cared. CHP would pull you into the scales but would care less about the wood and permits. Times have changed though and it's best to be legal and avoid trouble.

It's getting pretty bad here. Gotta get a permit from the forest circus of course, and it's $25 for a 2 cord minimum, then they set up mandatory check stations and the forest Rangers check everything from spark arrestor, 2 0 shovel, fire extinguisher, and measure the load to make sure you're tagged properly. They've gotten worse than the fish and game looking for poachers during hunting season.
Nice load, sorry to hear of your troubles with the FS, they seem to have jumped on the crazy train here as well, a lot of people have received large fines, a friend was told by FS cop that he should put more load tickets on than he needed because "the FS needs your money" o_O, they even had the fire crews checking people.

You call that 2 cord sure as LLEH buying wood from you !!!!!!!!!!

Haha. It looks like a bunch of wood piled like that, but stacked it would just fill the truck bed (roughly 7.75ftx3.5ftx12ft) I get 8 rows in it.l, 1/4 cord each row.

Sorry to hear about stupid FS cops bugging you! I do not understand the rational here, I have to have a permit to cut dead standing trees on crown land. Makes sense right? Thing is, all that is required to get one is printing it off the internet, for free...... Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, but seriously what is the point????????

I believe we are fixing to have a glut of firewood pretty soon. Fires everywhere, Evacuating homes, jumping highways and rivers. Some nutcase in a blue suv suspected of setting fires. I suspect there will be lots of salvage sales and dying timber. While some of the wood is totally unaccessible, a lot is right beside the highways

I believe we are fixing to have a glut of firewood pretty soon. Fires everywhere, Evacuating homes, jumping highways and rivers. Some nutcase in a blue suv suspected of setting fires. I suspect there will be lots of salvage sales and dying timber. While some of the wood is totally unaccessible, a lot is right beside the highways
@muddstopper Prayers that you and family are kept safe.

I can always use the Prayers, but I dont think my house is in any danger, unless someone sets another fire. They have caught one person that has admitted setting a few of the fires. Town of Hayesville Nc is where the world is burning down, which is about 15 miles from me. Graham and Macon Counties are also burning with big fires. We donated food and water today to the fire fighters and there are many others collecting supplies as well. Pray for the Fire Fighters safety and maybe add a few words asking for some rain.

A few years back, someone was setting fires along the highway going by my house. Similar weather condition as now. the highway is a new road with just ground cover grasses for erosion. they also used a lot of my property for waste fill dirt, so I had quite a bit of grass on the banks to. The fire ran down the highway embankment and up the embankments toward my house. Local fire fighters with the Us Forest Service was fighting the fire and got it put out before it did any damage to my home. It still cost me several thousand dollars, which insurance paid most of, to revegetate the embankments and replace 3 100ft+ long plastic drain lines. The forest Service dozer cut a fire break down the slope to stop the fire from spreading, which I had too go back and fix later. Local fire department was spraying water. My worst damage came to my septic tank as one of the fire trucks decided to drive thru my yard, beside a perfectly good road, and fell into the tank. Young kids with over enthusiasm was the cause for that, but at least my house didnt burn.

Attachments

• 0326141528a.jpg
    0326141528a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • septic 2.jpg
    septic 2.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 2014 03 26_0414_edited-1-1.jpg
    2014 03 26_0414_edited-1-1.jpg
    648.6 KB · Views: 28
Sorry to hear about stupid FS cops bugging you! I do not understand the rational here, I have to have a permit to cut dead standing trees on crown land. Makes sense right? Thing is, all that is required to get one is printing it off the internet, for free...... Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, but seriously what is the point????????
they like to show their great authority..like most gov ass employees...............

A few years back, someone was setting fires along the highway going by my house. Similar weather condition as now. the highway is a new road with just ground cover grasses for erosion. they also used a lot of my property for waste fill dirt, so I had quite a bit of grass on the banks to. The fire ran down the highway embankment and up the embankments toward my house. Local fire fighters with the Us Forest Service was fighting the fire and got it put out before it did any damage to my home. It still cost me several thousand dollars, which insurance paid most of, to revegetate the embankments and replace 3 100ft+ long plastic drain lines. The forest Service dozer cut a fire break down the slope to stop the fire from spreading, which I had too go back and fix later. Local fire department was spraying water. My worst damage came to my septic tank as one of the fire trucks decided to drive thru my yard, beside a perfectly good road, and fell into the tank. Young kids with over enthusiasm was the cause for that, but at least my house didnt burn.

Normal for the tank to be buried so shallow? Here we go 4-6 ft from the top to ground level otherwise it would freeze. (Frost line is about the 10ft)

Rules have changed since that tank was installed back in 1984. The ground is so hard it wasnt possible to get the tank any deeper. There was actually dirt spread around the tank to get it to the depth that it is. When the tank was replaced, the new tank was taller than the old one and the little trackhoe had to beat and scratch for a pretty good while just to get it back down to where it was. The drain lines run below the tank as that was a steep hill side. With the road fill, the lines are probably 10-12ft under ground. If I every have a problem with the leach field, its going to be a real bugger. As for freezing, Never has, it doesnt get or stay that cold around here.

Back