Got a new MS261 today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You will love it. Don't wait too long to mod that muffler and remove the limiter on the H needle. Many of them are too lean from the factory. I'v even seen a completely stock one burnt up. The toped was replaced under warranty.

You will love it. Don't wait too long to mod that muffler and remove the limiter on the H needle. Many of them are too lean from the factory. I'v even seen a completely stock one burnt up. The toped was replaced under warranty.

THX; Just turned the screw

I'm also waiting for the snow to melt to break this thing in on some Pacfic Northwest Soft Wood just like someone on this site did

[video=youtube;dYdiJe5X7Fo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYdiJe5X7Fo[/video]

Just waiting till Saturday morning to get in the machine shop to do a little MM'ing

All this talk of the 261 you guys are making me jealous. Im trying to figure out what/how to part with a few things to make the purchase. But then again, im trying to pickup a 460 too so who knows!? Too many irons in the fire. But then again I do have an account at the local John Deere/Stihl Dealership... Wonder how many days in the doghouse its worth?:laugh:

Funny you should mention this.... after i sharpened my chain and cleaned my air filter yesterday & pulled the muffler screen,I started her up to hear the sweet sounds... Man she was screaming! I pulled out my little handy dandy Top-Saw tool to tweak the ''H'' a tad and found some sorta dang aluminum looking cock-blocker on it??? What the heck??? what do I do to this thing? Thanks for any advice.

Use a screw to pull it out. You will need to use a little force to cock the carb to the side to make enough space to pull the limiter out. Then grind the tab off and re-insert. You can then use the 2mm allen wrench to adjust the needle through the modified limiter.

So it becomes a warranty versus reliability-mod question, huh? I assume removing the H needle limiter would void the warranty? I guess you could mod the muffler but buy a replacement to keep the warranty valid?

I also just got a MS261 yesterday :msp_thumbsup:

PS - Brad - I read your entire MS261 thread - good work!

THX; Just turned the screw

I'm also waiting for the snow to melt to break this thing in on some Pacfic Northwest Soft Wood just like someone on this site did

[video=youtube;dYdiJe5X7Fo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYdiJe5X7Fo[/video]

Just waiting till Saturday morning to get in the machine shop to do a little MM'ing

So you already got the limiter off? I'm a little worried about doing this....man I don't want to frig it up and THEN have to take it to my dealer for some unknown reason! What to do,what to do...
I,m wanting to just sent it ,or drive it, to one of the SAW GURU'S on here and let them just do the dang thing(Full Mod.) I've already ran it by the wife and she didn't bat an eye... so... ???? Thoughts??? What would you do?

i

So it becomes a warranty versus reliability-mod question, huh? I assume removing the H needle limiter would void the warranty? I guess you could mod the muffler but buy a replacement to keep the warranty valid?

I also just got a MS261 yesterday :msp_thumbsup:

PS - Brad - I read your entire MS261 thread - good work!

Congrats on your new saw!
I'm confused on What to do myself....

I sat this a.m. and looked through the 50 something page posts on Brad's thread myself! Dang O.C.D is kicking in over-drive !:hmm3grin2orange:

I bought a new MS261 in Dec. and have only had a chance to cut up one tree so far. My usage will really start in the spring so I'm holding off for now. As was mentioned, I'd really hate to have to take it to a dealer after I'd fooled around with it.

Beside, the thing is no slouch right out of the box. ;)

Spent 6 hours in snow and rain today with the 261

Now its time to warm up; that warm shower I took when I got home sure felt good

HMMM; the saw sure felt good in my hands

Those Pacific Northwest Soft Wood is sure a plessure to cut; I'll have those 9 + trees finished first thing in the morning and then the fun begins hauling them back to the house and stacking most of it in the wood shed

PS: On a side note I had to brinng with me a 2"x8"x16" so I could stand on it on my left (foot) side so I could be balanced :)

Cool...The 260 & 261 are pretty much the only stihls I've never run. I wouldn't mind having one one day to replace the 028 & the 034 but Im surew buy then Stihl will have something even newer. I think they already have a 262 out.

So you already got the limiter off? I'm a little worried about doing this....man I don't want to frig it up and THEN have to take it to my dealer for some unknown reason! What to do,what to do...
I,m wanting to just sent it ,or drive it, to one of the SAW GURU'S on here and let them just do the dang thing(Full Mod.) I've already ran it by the wife and she didn't bat an eye... so... ???? Thoughts??? What would you do?

Like that tennis shoes company says "JUST DO IT" :)

I'm putting off the MM to it till tomorrow afternoon I want to get the wood home that's laying on the ground up at my Aunts place before someone dicides they want it more than I do

Use a screw to pull it out. You will need to use a little force to cock the carb to the side to make enough space to pull the limiter out. Then grind the tab off and re-insert. You can then use the 2mm allen wrench to adjust the needle through the modified limiter.

I wish I had pics cause I feel like an idiot about attempting to do this.:confused:

Why not just wait for a 261 M-tronic? That's what I'm doing and hoping it'll be soon.

I asked my dealer about one and he looked like ''dream on for a while buddy''... I hope they do come out soon so you can post and tell us how awesome IT is!:msp_biggrin:

I just got off the horn with one of the dealer here and ask that same question; he said he hasn't heard of anything like that. He also said just today he sold 4 261. He averages 15 sold he said for the last two months (totaling 30 saws in that period) he just got the 261 the first part of December last year I really don't now how long they have been on the market.

Given the extra heavy weight of the 261, wonder if they can only get maybe 10 saws on the truck before it is overloaded.

Latest posts

Back