got a new wood stove have install questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
ok i scored a free woodstove from a buddy this weekend. its a shanendoah, he was getting 12hr burn times with it last year too. all it needs is a new door gaskit and theres a cracked firebrick in the back. the fire box is huge and the stove looks to be in great shape also. :)

heres my thought now i heat with my insert 100% currently. in the cellar i have a oil burner hooked up to one side of my chimney and the insert on the other. i switched over to electric water heat this summer so i dont use the oil burner anymore.

so my idea was to unpipe the oil burner and pipe in the stove basicly. my only 2 real concerns are
1: how far away should the stove be from the oil burner? should i pile some cinder block between the two or something to keep the heat away?
2: i looked into the code and it says i need 18" clearance from the top of the pipe to the ceiling. if i use the same hole thats currently in the chimney i have 12". now could i do a safe install if i used triple wall pipe fire proof sheetrock and i was thiniking i could maybe use a sheet of metal or something to deflect the heat some also.

be easy on me im just tossin out ideas id like to be able to heat the cellar if i want to as now theres no heat down there at all since i wenht with the electric hot water. i have no desire to feed the oil man anymore and id be more apt to work in the cellar in the winter if it wasnt in the 40's downj ther in the dead of winter.

thanks for any info or suggestions

How about take off pipe from oil burner, Hook up pipe from wood stove. If you want to go back all youll have to do is put pipe back.:cheers:

Ok I understand now. I dont see why you have to put cinderblocks btween the two. Id leave it far enough away from oil burner. I had clearance issue with wood support being close to pipe so I built a sheetmetal deflector to reflect some heat away. Two years of burning and no probs.

Back