Got screwed on craiglslist

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup, right way is to get a replacement crank/seals in it. Maybe add a piston ring.

alternative could be to carefully drill and tap the center of the broken crank and retain the flywheel with a good grade 5 bolt and washers. or find a machinist that
can do the drill and tap.

fwiw

Yep, easy fix!

Really you didn't get screwed, but weren't that what you were trying to do????

Now don't get me wrong, I like a great deal as much as the next guy, and would have GLADLY paid twice the asking price for my 5.2 Craftsman.
And when the seller lowered it from $150.00 to $100.00 before I ever said a word, I told him that was too much saw for the price and he was selling it too cheap.
He stuck to the $100.00 price and I whipped a Franklin on him so quick I'm surprised it didn't cut his hand off.

But if you had bought a pristine 026Pro for $100.00 you would have been on here telling everyone what a great deal you got.

You got exactly what you paid for, and I will use the offers of getting your money back as my evidence. If you were truly screwed, instead of two or three members offering to buy you out, they would have been laughing or at least consoling.
No my friend, you bought a $100.00 026 that needs a little work.

Go forth and be happy!!!!

Mike

Holy Crap!!! Mike is the Dr. Phil of AS. I feel better now! Point is, I wished the guy would have told me the issues up front and then said 100 firm.

Holy Crap!!! Mike is the Dr. Phil of AS. I feel better now! Point is, I wished the guy would have told me the issues up front and then said 100 firm.

Did you read my post??????

Quit sniveling!!!!!!!!!! or sell it

That saw will run fine just like it is,,, I got a few missing a few fins!!!!!! that flywheel ant coming off uless you pull it....

Run tha pizz out of it!!!!!

Last edited:
I wished the guy would have told me the issues up front and then said 100 firm.

Sometimes you need to take accountability for your own actions and do your homework. Maybe he would not have let you break the saw open, but you did not ask or try. You need to factor in potential inconveniences such as this when settling on a price. As the old adage goes, buyer beware.

yup, right way is to get a replacement crank/seals in it. Maybe add a piston ring.

alternative could be to carefully drill and tap the center of the broken crank and retain the flywheel with a good grade 5 bolt and washers. or find a machinist that
can do the drill and tap.

fwiw

This is actually a great idea, I agree with it 100%. It really won't take much to hold that flywheel in place. The larger nut that was on there is just to suck the flywheel down onto the taper. it is already there, now just keep it in place. I would have absolutely no problems running that saw with this proposed fix.

HEY!!!!!

I like that!
Do you mind if I use it in my sig???
I understand your feeling slighted but you can replace the crank and bearings and still come out way ahead on a fine saw.

There is the possibility that the guy bought the saw to flip and had no clue the crankshaft was broken!

Mike

You know the real kick in the a$&. A friend of mine gave me three 026/ms260's and a ms441 a few weeks ago. They had been in a fire. The only thing I saved were the 026 mufflers, cylinders and pistons. I tossed the the rest in a dumpster behind a liquor store. I sure wish I had saved one for parts.

HEY!!!!!

I like that!
Do you mind if I use it in my sig???
I understand your feeling slighted but you can replace the crank and bearings and still come out way ahead on a fine saw.

There is the possibility that the guy bought the saw to flip and had no clue the crankshaft was broken!

Mike

Mike, Mike,, Its no use trying to console him!!!! I've been trying and he's still whining,,, Dr. Phil,,, LOLOL!!!! thats a good one!!!! I'm gonna give the lil sniveler some Rat rep for that one!!!!!

You know the real kick in the a$&. A friend of mine gave me three 026/ms260's and a ms441 a few weeks ago. They had been in a fire. The only thing I saved were the 026 mufflers, cylinders and pistons. I tossed the the rest in a dumpster behind a liquor store. I sure wish I had saved one for parts.

Oh man,,,, I was gonna rep ya for the Dr. Phil post!!!!!

Not now,,,,, let me guess this saw for sex you got,,, what kind/size B&C came with it?????

Mike, Mike,, Its no use trying to console him!!!! I've been trying and he's still whining,,, Dr. Phil,,, LOLOL!!!! thats a good one!!!! I'm gonna give the lil sniveler some Rat rep for that one!!!!!

OK I am sniveling. $100 is the most I have EVER spend on a saw. It equals the price I spend for my 066 that was in perfect working condition when the seller sold it to me.
It came with an 18" rollomatic E and that crappy Stihl low kickback chain. I think its RMC3 or something like that

Last edited:
OK I am sniveling. $100 is the most I have EVER spend on a saw. It equals the price I spend for my 066 that was in perfect working condition when the seller sold it to me.
It came with an 18" rollomatic E and that crappy Stihl low kickback chain. I think its RMC3 or something like that

Boy the seller of that 066 would be really pleased to hear that the JB Weld he put the crank back together with is still holding, you should let him know...

I would be happy to get that saw for $100 just the way it is, they usually go for $300 used on feebay, so to get a $200 discount when it will run just fine the way it is assuming you don't need to pull the flywheel for some reason.

So run it and be Happy for chrissakes!!:msp_rolleyes:

OK Look,,,,,,

$300.00 Plus 50 for shipping,,, sight unseen,,,,, Box em both up and send them to me!!!!

with your luck you ought to be able to get an nos MS440 and a HT 135 pole pruner with 300 dollars!!!!!!

thats a 38.00 $ bar and 18.00 chain!!!!!

Did I mention U suck!!!!!

Did u Kiss him!!!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

OK Look,,,,,,

$300.00 Plus 50 for shipping,,, sight unseen,,,,, Box em both up and send them to me!!!!

with your luck you ought to be able to get an nos MS440 and a HT 135 pole pruner with 300 dollars!!!!!!

Hey River speaking of getting screwed here's a good one. Fellow walks in late this evening toting a decent looking 025, was in real nice shape. I go whats wrong with it. He goes dayumm if I know. I had it at another shop telling them it wasn't running right, kept stalling and cutting off. They charged me 28.00 and told me nothing was wrong with it. I get it home and its doing the samething. I go hmmm.
Then my buzzard for dead meat nose smelt fuel. I looked closely and seen wet fuel under the carb cover. I pulled the cover, sure enough the fuel hose is leaking fuel. I put the cover back on and go so they charged ya 28.00 and said nothing was wrong with it. He goes yeah and I know dayumm well it isn't running right. I go hmmmmmmmmm. He rants on and on and I'm sitting there listening and thinking him and that shop got alot in common,LOLOL

Finally I told him do you want to fix it yourself or do you want me to do it. He goes well what do you think is wrong with it. I go its not what I think its what I know is wrong with it. He goes huh. I pulled the carb cover back off and said look at the fuel hose. He looks and goes yeah so what are you saying. I go look closer, see how its leaking fuel. He goes yeah, I go thats whats wrong with it,LOLOL

He goes you mean they missed that, I go yup. He goes I can't f-ing believe it. I'm thinking you missed it too,LOLOL

Funny but yes they did screw him out of 28.00.

This $100.00 026 is a deal of where the buyer thought he was getting a helluva deal out of a seller not knowing any better, sometimes screwing has a way of going around and around,LOLOLOL

Last edited:
OK Look,,,,,,

Sorry RAT, I already have a 440... well 044. I gave $75.00 for it hahahaha!

Back