GRCS owners

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEff B

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Can the GRCS be loaded in any direction? for example; the port-a-warap III should not be loaded against the bite of the sling, limiting it from being able to load in that direction. Does the GRCS have a similar factor like this or can it be loaded in any direction?

What does that mean? I'm having trouble picturing what you mean by that.

love
nick

Actually it should be loaded against the bight, with the bight will allow it to looses up.

As stated above, the GRCS works best with a redirect over the top fairlead. This is because the load will push the rig into the tree, onto the pads. While designed to take a sideload, this is not the optimal method, since the force is then pulling the rig around the tree, this can cause slippage under heavy or repeated loading. Especially over exfoliating bark like hickory and silver maple.

Lastly, the rope should come through the fairlead and around the drum in clockwise. This allows use of the ratchet in the grears, and will help the rope run fair. Counter clockwise will result in friction and sometiems overlap.

sorry i should have worded this better

in the Art and Science of Practical Rigging they go over what i am trying to explain. Say you were attaching the Portawrap to a tree with an eye sing, you went around the tree counterclockwise with the sling ran it around the splice eye (that is girth hitched to the porta) and came back clockwise with your timber hitch wraps. IT is said you cannot load the portawrap from the left, (the direction the timber hitch wraps are going in this case) because it will turn the whole system rather then making it bite.

i'm having a hard time explaining it clearly i hope that helped.
-My question was, does the GRCS have a similar limiting side it can be loaded from?

thanks for the replies

Last edited:
sorry i should have worded this better

in the Art and Science of Practical Rigging they go over what i am trying to explain. Say you were attaching the Portawrap to a tree with an eye sing, you went around the tree counterclockwise with the sling ran it around the splice eye (that is girth hitched to the porta) and came back clockwise with your timber hitch wraps. IT is said you cannot load the portawrap from the left, (the direction the timber hitch wraps are going in this case) because it will turn the whole system rather then making it bite.

i'm having a hard time explaining it clearly i hope that helped.

Better, you want to load into the bight so that it chokes down. Loading out of the bight, towards the backup hitch, will defeat the function of the knot/hitch.

Though for light loads it does not matter, this is for heavy loads wich may cause the sling to walk. With a timber hitch only it may cause the hitch to fail.

Am I doing better then before?

-My question was, does the GRCS have a similar limiting side it can be loaded from?

thanks for the replies

Optimal loading of the GRCS is straigth through the top fairleads. Once the rope angle touches a fairlead you risk bending them.

While it is desigend to sideload from either the left or the right, this should be reserved for light operations only. Since there is no choker on the side loads from either direction, even if striaght and not touching the fairlead, can cause system failure.

I will use this for light loads with little force, but once you get into heavy picks, or dynamic loads the redirects are a must.

I've had the rig slide around the tree while blocking out big pieces of willow.

Can the GRCS be loaded in any direction? for example; the port-a-warap III should not be loaded against the bite of the sling, limiting it from being able to load in that direction. Does the GRCS have a similar factor like this or can it be loaded in any direction?

no you can break them with big wood, after two costly mistakes i use greg good's, suggestion of a block above on the trunk everytime.

perfect! thanks john that really clears it up..... is it a piece of equipment you use everyday?

Not daily, but weekly or more.

It's one of those things that as you figure what you can do you use it to see what more can be done. Huge time saver if you work with long sections and such, or tall trees where you may have a load hang up on the way down.

Block and sling is a must, you need low friction to get the best out of it, so if you do not have them, add the cost in.

Give me a call, i can describe it better theat way.

It can easily turn 1.5 day jobs to 1 day jobs, so do the math to see how soon it will pay for it'self

Back