Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenskip1

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Yes I have used the search section and could not find the answer to my query
A new grinder is now on my list but I am not sure what one. Bailey's list two. Speed Sharp Star, and Oregon 511AX, both for the same price..379.95. What one is the better of the two?Thanks, Ken

Hi Mate.
I have the Speed Sharp Auto and have nothing but good things to say about it. Both Speed Sharp and Oregon grinders come from the same Italian manufacturer, Tecomec. Although not 100% certain I think you'll find they are pretty well the same grinder, just a different name.
Matt

Last edited:
I'm surprised your search did not turn up anything, since we've beat the grinder topic beyond death...I have the 511AX, wonderful piece of equipment, can't go wrong with it.

Forum sponsor CM Small Engines has the 511 for $349.99 shipped!

Can't go wrong with that grinder and a good price too.

Like mentioned, Tecomec makes all Oregon grinders. Speed Sharp is also a Tecomec/Oregon 511A. The only differences you may notice is the color and slight vise differences. Get the deal Calvin has... can't beat it. :cheers:

The Speed Sharp appears identical to the Jolly Star. The 511ax has forward/aft vise adjustment (I've never figured out what that is for :laugh:) while the Speed Sharp/Jolly Star does not. Otherwise, same grinder, same manufacturer.

The 511a is a whole nuther animal that lacks the self-centering vise.

The Speed Sharp appears identical to the Jolly Star. The 511ax has forward/aft vise adjustment (I've never figured out what that is for :laugh:) while the Speed Sharp/Jolly Star does not. Otherwise, same grinder, same manufacturer.

The 511a is a whole nuther animal that lacks the self-centering vise.

mtngun
I have a Speed Sharp Star and that vice movment forward and aft is to get that 10 deg on chisel chains.( dont know if it makes much differance to the chains performance)
:)

I said it many times, get a Silvey. It is a wonderful work of art. It will be the last grinder you or your kids or grandkids will ever have to buy. And if you offer chain grinding on Craigslist and to friends it wont take long before the thing is paid for.

mtngun
I have a Speed Sharp Star and that vice movment forward and aft is to get that 10 deg on chisel chains.( dont know if it makes much differance to the chains performance)
:)
They all have the 10 degree tilt feature, but the 511ax's entire vise can slide fore and aft without changing the tilt. Supposedly it is used to compensate for wheel wear.

Maybe Calvin can offer some insight on the 511ax's sliding vise feature ?

Latest posts

Back