Groundmen say the darnedest things.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Umm.. I dunno, man. Sounds like the dude was just trying to get into the spirit of things, and you were just being a real farking corksarker. Just saying..

Oh and like yer best friends with everybody? I gotta say I think I liked you better when you were mean.

You gotta say that while eating his packed lunch. Really show him who's bossman

The kids are always give me their weed, they start up with that whole thing like we were all descendants of Bob Marley, how we are brothers and tell made up stories about lumberjacking and their forestry professors til they realize I am the most contemptible son a ***** there ever was.

I dunno, when groundies start talking I get irate pretty fast. When I was a kid I pretty much kept my mouth shut OTJ. Today it seems normal to tell everyone about yer ADD and who knows what else.

Once upon a time, in a galaxy far away this kid says, " I just called the boss and he said it was OK if I took yer truck to the store to buy a new shovel. Do you have a twenty?". I was up a ****ing tree at the time.

Newb: Dude we're fark some $hit up today aren't we bro?

Me: Um.....no we're not gonna fark ANYTHING up today

Newb: well you know what i mean, we're gonna get a lot of work done.

Me: right......and i'm not your damn brother

Newb: (silence)

sh*t bro, that's mean bro, bros just being friendly

I actually work with a pretty good ground man. The other day there were 2 piles of wood that needed to be loaded on to the truck. He said to me, that the ones in that pile are smaller and you can load those. I think he meant it as an insult to me, but I took him up on his offer. :innocent:

"Yeah, keep coming back, you're all good, keep coming"

CRACK! CRUNCH! BANG!

"ER, STOP!"

Truck is now up to the axle through a large and very visible drain cover

That's ok, I don't need a wrap, or cut it I can handle it.

Those are my favorite words. I also like the conversation that ensues, goes like:

Boss: How did the wall get smashed?

Me: The tree limb hit it.

Boss: Didn't you rope it?

Me: Of course I roped it. What kind of idiot wouldn't rope that branch that big hanging over the wall?

Boss: You better tell me what the **** happened!

Me: I think it may be because the groundy didn't wrap it.

Boss: Why didn't you tell him to wrap it!?

Me: Don't assume I didn't.

Boss: Huh?

Me: I told him to wrap it up, he said he didn't need to.

Boss: Why didn't you tell him to wrap it?

Me: I said that I did.

Boss: Then HOW DID THE WALL GET SMASHED!!?

Me: I think you should talk to your groundy, he is over there sulking and pouring water on his hands.

Boss: I"M TALKING TO YOU !!

Me: Yes, but you are not getting anywhere.

Boss: You are really pissing me off!

Me: How do you think I feel when I tell a guy to wrap it up and he don't?

Boss: YOU SHOULD HAVE MADE HIM WRAP IT THEN!!

Me: HOW THE **** DO YOU PROPOSE I DO THAT!!

Boss: ( after a pause of silence and pondering) I DON'T KNOW, YOU JUST MAKE HIM !

Me: I am not sure what you are telling me anything, I mean, if you don't know how then how do you expect me to?

That is the abridged version in summary. Depending how big and angry the Boss is its not uncommon for me to run. I've had this conversion so many times I can ad lib and improvise like it was scripted which I am starting to believe just might be the case. I admit that I don't have a lot of friends but the few that I do, well, we don't have conversations like this.

We got anything else after this job.......

Love that one! It has that passive way of saying "I want to get out of here". The next rain day they complain about not having enough hours. There's the splitter right next to a big pile of unsplit wood. Make some hours happen dummy.

Back