GTG around north carolina 4-18-09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uh, yeah. Except for the snakes and ticks, right? I have seen far more snakes in the NC/VA mountains than out here on the coast. Still, you're right. It's a beautiful little corner of the world.

mountainman where on the coast are you ?

look what i found on youtube just someone strolling down hwy 70 in morehead city nc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPWpcNGJgGs&feature=channel_page

i know the one of morehead city i know where everything is on that one i can name the places blind folded

the same guy has a video of alot of places he been here is one of the old fort mountain
enjoy the ride along my ears just by watching i can imagiine the ears were popping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRUsQ2tbmtc&feature=channel_page

Last edited:
looks like we have several interested...im ready when you guys are. I hope some of you guys have a 3120 or a 880 or 084...always wanted to see those run. Ive run 660's a and 2100 and a 298 but never run any of the big daddy's.

QUOTE: "mountainman where on the coast are you ?"

I'm in New Bern. Just a hop and a skip from you.

yea like 30 minutes away

i was just in new bern two weeks ago

ate some supper at the golden corral

had to go to the airport to drop off some fed ex packages that had to go out since i missed the drop off time by 30 minutes in my area

Actually, I live just a tad bit North of there, out in the sticks. I live so far out in fact, that we use possums for yard dogs.

:clap:

I'm in Greenville N.C. well just south in Ayden

hwy 11 ? thats where pepsi is now they moved from new bern to ayden

That's correct, I run a restaurant just off 11 about a mile or two from them, all of our drinks are made by Pepsi, even the tea and coffee hahaha!

Later,

Actually, I live just a tad bit North of there, out in the sticks. I live so far out in fact, that we use possums for yard dogs.

:clap:

Your "yard dogs" wouldn't be much good in Patrick Co, Virginia.:buttkick: When we were down last week we saw a Great Horned Owl at the side of the road with dinner.....'possum! He got nervous when we shined the lights on him, and he took off with the 'possum in his talons.

Your "yard dogs" wouldn't be much good in Patrick Co, Virginia.:buttkick: When we were down last week we saw a Great Horned Owl at the side of the road with dinner.....'possum! He got nervous when we shined the lights on him, and he took off with the 'possum in his talons.

I love that neck of the woods. I have spent a good bit of time fishing a wild trout stream up in the sticks in Franklin County. Now you know, if you're a mountain person from those parts, the correct pronunciation is 'Padrick County".

:wedgie:

That's correct, I run a restaurant just off 11 about a mile or two from them, all of our drinks are made by Pepsi, even the tea and coffee hahaha!

Later,

what restaurant ? dont be surprised you see me come in there one day or evening depending on if i go back to snow hill again to visit some people at a gospel radio station

some people dont know pepsi was born in new bern
back in the 70s there was a country store on route 70 coming from new bern to havelock on the right side that had a old old kicking machine that you put a .025 cents into the slot it would give you a good kick cause it had boots on its stems so we named it the kicking machine

sams club is there also in ayden area bad when you have to drive over 50 miles to a sams club
thats why i did not renew my card with them for cause of the distance to travel

Last edited:
what restaurant ? dont be surprised you see me come in there one day or evening depending on if i go back to snow hill again to visit some people at a gospel radio station

back in the 70s there was a country store on route 70 coming from new bern to havelock on the right side that had a old old kicking machine that you put a .025 cents into the slot it would give you a good kick cause it had boots on its stems so we named it the kicking machine

sams club is there also in ayden area bad when you have to drive over 50 miles to a sams club

Ah yes. Tom Haywood's store. I tried that kicking machine once, and it packed a whallop. Had a sign on it that said 'Self Kicking machine', or 'Self Kicking Club'.

Sounds like you've been around these parts a while.

Bum's Restaurant it's on 102 just off 11 mid down town Ayden.

I'v ben kicked by that dam thing HAHAHA! Is it gone? I haven't thought of it in years.

I love that neck of the woods. I have spent a good bit of time fishing a wild trout stream up in the sticks in Franklin County. Now you know, if you're a mountain person from those parts, the correct pronunciation is 'Padrick County".

:wedgie:

yeah, and Stuart is "Stort", and Claudville is "Clawvil":hmm3grin2orange:

thinking it may still be there but the store is being used as something else now
mountainman i been here since 1968 been thru all them hurricanes that hit this area since 1968

Last edited:
My dad was transferred here with Weyerhaeuser in 1974. I went to New Bern High School my senior year only. Jimmy Smith, the physics teacher, spent all his time teaching in class talking about the birthplace of Pepsi, and other stuff about New Bern's history. Then, his tests were on stuff like college level physics.

Ever heard of a place in James City, on the river, called Conn's Mansion? It dated back to the pre-Civil War days, and had a separate building with bars on the windows for their slave quarters. Nice folks, eh? NOT. The house was all boarded up when I saw it, but someone lived there until about the early Seventies, I believe.

Where are yall planning on having this GTG at? With a little notice I could get a Sat off and if I dont have to drive more than 2or3 hours I will try to come I will bring all my saws.

Where are yall planning on having this GTG at? With a little notice I could get a Sat off and if I dont have to drive more than 2or3 hours I will try to come I will bring all my saws.

time and place is unknown at this point.id like to check your 395 and 7900 out..nice saws. I recently acquired a saw and would like to test it against a 395 with your permission.

Back