GTG around north carolina 4-18-09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mostly harmless?

Mostly harmless? I used to say that about some dangerous folks....:buttkick: We used to play a little game with a sledge hammer, you should try it. Grasp it by the last 6" on the handle and hold the head straight up in the air. Extend your arm straight out and lower the head till it's about 1/2" from your nose and see who can hold it there the longest. The lighter weights are not so bad, but when ya move up to say a 12 lb'er things get a bit dicey. I did know one really big guy who could hold a 12 lb'er. One of the nicest guy's you would ever meet. Long ago he beat the wrestling bear at the Dixie Classic Fair when he was 18 (and drunk.) The bear took a swipe at him but missed and he clocked the bear in the side of the head and pinned him. The promoter wouldn't let him fight the bear again, saying he was too rough on the bear. Might be hard to believe, but that is no BS. The names are being withheld to protect the guilty but if Big Mike is reading this please chime in.

I am mostly harmless. I wish I could hold the 084 like that. But the NC guys are a good bunch, hopefully the next GTG will have a bigger turnout.

Mostly harmless? I used to say that about some dangerous folks....:buttkick: We used to play a little game with a sledge hammer, you should try it. Grasp it by the last 6" on the handle and hold the head straight up in the air. Extend your arm straight out and lower the head till it's about 1/2" from your nose and see who can hold it there the longest. The lighter weights are not so bad, but when ya move up to say a 12 lb'er things get a bit dicey. I did know one really big guy who could hold a 12 lb'er. One of the nicest guy's you would ever meet. Long ago he beat the wrestling bear at the Dixie Classic Fair when he was 18 (and drunk.) The bear took a swipe at him but missed and he clocked the bear in the side of the head and pinned him. The promoter wouldn't let him fight the bear again, saying he was too rough on the bear. Might be hard to believe, but that is no BS. The names are being withheld to protect the guilty but if Big Mike is reading this please chime in.

rob you referring to the 4 leg bear ?

Funny that you mention the sledge hammer. Just tried that Sunday with a 3 1/2 pound splitting axe, just to see if I could get it all the way to my nose. Dad laughed and said to get the 8 pound hammer out.

Calvin, the traveling repair shop sounds like a good idea.
You didnt happen to recieve a PM from me a couple weeks ago did you? I know you've got your hands full right now.

Funny that you mention the sledge hammer. Just tried that Sunday with a 3 1/2 pound splitting axe, just to see if I could get it all the way to my nose. Dad laughed and said to get the 8 pound hammer out.

Calvin, the traveling repair shop sounds like a good idea.
You didnt happen to recieve a PM from me a couple weeks ago did you?
I know you've got your hands full right now

yep i do

High Country Crank Up

I just found out the High Country Crank Up is this week! :clap:

http://www.oldengine.org/members/carolina/high_country_crankup.htm

They say they have a saw log... Anybody want to go? I probably will go, especially if some of the nuts, er, guys from here want to go. If its a long drive for you, local accommodations are available in Boone and North Wilkesboro.

I haven't been before, so its hard to know what to expect. At least it is a little better - cooler aside from the chance of rain.

Let me know what you guys think!

Latest posts

Back