GTG around north carolina 4-18-09

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new house isn't too far off the Blue Ridge Parkway, but further north in southern Virginia.

Ultra, you been down the BRP?

thought i show you our ocean front property this is deserted for a reason
8da1eacb.jpg

the reason it was deserted that day i took this photo was cause it was a hurricane approaching and every one was gone off the island which is atlantic beach nc back in september of 2005

the place where this was taken was at the sheraton resort and hotel on atlantic beach

i was talking to the weather channel crew and abc and nbc and cnn news media that day they were all stationed at the sheraton

Last edited:
thought i show you our ocean front property this is deserted for a reason
8da1eacb.jpg

the reason it was deserted that day i took this photo was cause it was a hurricane approaching and every one was gone off the island which is atlantic beach nc back in september of 2005

the place where this was taken was at the sheraton resort and hotel on atlantic beach

i was talking to the weather channel crew and abc and nbc and cnn news media that day they were all stationed at the sheraton

looks nice there

Were planning a trip to the Deals gap this year and the Cherohala Skyway....To bad we couldnt get THALL to ride with us.....

You DON'T want to ride a HD on the Dragon! The curves and transitions are too tight and you'll be dragging footpegs/floorboars and exhaust constantly. Even worse is that there are too many clowns on crotchrockets riding over their heads, and likey to run into you. Oh yeah, there are four wheeled and more vehicles passing through there as well. I was glad to get out of there without getting hit!

The Cherohala from the Robbinsville, NC side to the bottom of the mountain on the Tn side is Fabulous! Likewise, the BRP from Cherokee, NC to at least Mount Mitchell needs to be ridden to be appreciated! I've ridden the 105 miles of Skyline Drive(best avoided due to traffic and low speed limits), all 469 miles of the BRP, The Dragon, Cherohala Skyway, Foothills Parkway, been to Maggie Valley....Wheels Through Time Museum is closing if not already closed.

When is your trip planned? Maybe strap an 066 on the back of the Hog and make for the GTG?

Nc Gtg

If something comes together for this, I'd sure like to attend if I can. I live in the Piedmont of NC, so either direction, mountains or coast is about the same distance. I'm not a saw competitor or builder, but just enjoy learning on this site and would like to meet some of you. I wanted to go to the Ohio GTG last week, but couldn't make it. Just got back from visiting at The Villages in FL. Drove farther yesterday than the trip would have been to Ohio. A trip to the mountains in late spring, early summer would be nice. Always envy the "hill" folks with their temps in the 70's when the heat and humidity starts to get a bit oppressive here in the summer.

Steve

have any you been on hwy 74 going thru lake lure and chimney rock even the road that goes from black mountain to chimney rock how was it ? the roads that is hwy 9 is not a safe road too much sharp turns in it

there is something about the mountain folks they love corn bread and lima beans and ground hog gravy

i had some of the ground hog gravy before back when my brother lived there in the early 90s did not know it was ground hog gravy till someone told me what it was after i have ate it

but one thing for sure they are a caring people up there in them hills they are full of hospitality and they are goood i mean good at cooking meals

then they had a desert dish that they called the dirt cake which it looked like dirt on top but it was oreo cookie crumbs and under that was pudding mainly vanilla flavor pudding and on top of the oreos was those gummy bears worms

Last edited:
Cherohala and Upper Tellico OHV area

My Jeep club has held many events at Upper Tellico OHV

The first couple years, we had our basecamp at Indian Boundary USFS CG, which is just across the TN line on the Cherohala. As you are getting to the crest, coming from NC to TN, Tellico OHV is one (or two) ridgelines south. (off to the left)

We rode up from Robbinsville no problem, coming home was in a typical SWNC monsoon. LOL Jeep Comanche pickup, 6" lift kit, really flexy springs, spooled rear axle, 33" mud tires... What fun!!!

I hope to get back out there on the bike one day... the Dragon, Cherohala, and a few backroads I've found look like lots more fun on a bike than a woggly old Jeep.

Last edited:
I live in Eastern NC. I have always liked Spruce Pine. Years ago, when I drove a truck, I used to haul cement powder to an ancient concrete plant there. Climbing (yes, CLIMBING) the hill on 226 with a load, I pretty much stayed in second gear. It's almost all repeated switchbacks, for those who have not been there. Even coming down empty, without a Jake, I stayed in third pretty much the whole way. I didn't make the trip all that often, and I actually enjoyed it. After being born out West and spending my first 15 1/2 years there, it reminded me of home.

Folks who haven't been to western NC need to go there to appreciate it. I've lived in Pa all of my life, but have been west and to Alaska, but western NC is as good as it gets in the east. I'm having a new house built in southern Va, but only about 10 miles from the NC border, and in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. I would have built in NC IF I could have found the property that I was looking for...10 miles from the border is close enough, and SW VA is wonderful as well.

I totally agree, that whole corner of the world has pretty awesome scenery.

Doesn't matter if it's SW VA, WV, E KY, & E TN, WNC, NGA, NAL, NWSC, all beautiful, and an outdoor-persons paradise.

I totally agree, that whole corner of the world has pretty awesome scenery.

Doesn't matter if it's SW VA, WV, E KY, & E TN, WNC, NGA, NAL, NWSC, all beautiful, and an outdoor-persons paradise.

Uh, yeah. Except for the snakes and ticks, right? I have seen far more snakes in the NC/VA mountains than out here on the coast. Still, you're right. It's a beautiful little corner of the world.

Hmmm, I don't recall ever being pestered by anything beyond skeeters out there... I've seen and heard of many more snakes (copperheads, moccasins, rattlers) around my little corner of NC, plus swarms of chiggers, ticks, an occasional big-azz hornet (that seem harmless, but) and within the last few years, fire ants.

Of course it depends what you are doing & where...

Uh, yeah. Except for the snakes and ticks, right? I have seen far more snakes in the NC/VA mountains than out here on the coast. Still, you're right. It's a beautiful little corner of the world.

I've only seen an occasional snake, no ticks, and very few bugs in general, including mosquitos at my place in Patrick Co, Va. Temperatures are more moderate along the Blue Ridge in southern Va than where I live in Pa some 350 miles north. We have more skeeters and ticks as well in Pa.

The largest rattlesnake I've ever seen came from Hilton Head Island, SC.

Latest posts

Back