Guy falling out of a tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at the pictures again, and commenced to wondering if there is a way to cut a limb like that so it lands flat instead of spearing into the ground. Perhaps make a deep cut from underneath to start? I'm sure the professionals do it all the time so as to not mess up lawns and such, I just never thought about it before.

tawilson said:
I was looking at the pictures again, and commenced to wondering if there is a way to cut a limb like that so it lands flat instead of spearing into the ground. Perhaps make a deep cut from underneath to start? I'm sure the professionals do it all the time so as to not mess up lawns and such, I just never thought about it before.

Thats standard to make an undercut, and then finish off with a cut from above outboard from the stem, to make the limb fall straight. Works better if foliage removed and/or not too high fall, otherwhise the limb starts tipping in the fall.

Hi Asa, Fi here
Gee, now I wonder where you got that information!!
She's right though, undercut with outboard top cut will allow a stripped chunk to fall flat. Lots of leaves and branches would hold up the tip and it would fall butt first.

Back when I started all we had available was the typical three strand twisted manila 1/2" climbing rope. We would set the rope using a throwing line, tie off to the climbing snap and have a groundsperson belay the free end and they would do a foot lock in case we slipped (as if that would have helped much) as we headed up the tree. Only after attaining the point we'd work out of did we actually "tie-in". On occasion we would use a 30' ladder to get well into the tree, just trailing the rope behind. Times have changed a lot.

tawilson said:

If you want a long horizontal branch to fall down flat:
Make and undercut approx 1/4 of diameter, careful not to pinchyour saw,
Make "wing" cuts on each side, again about 1/4 dia, just like an undercut,
Then make your release cut on the top, about an inch or two BACK from your undercut not infront as it may want to take the saw & you with it!!

This makes even pine & cypress release cleanly, without hanging on.
Done well it can even launch the branch away from the tree.
Great when bombing down large branches close to a fence or similar obstacle.
Give it a try!!

Trev

I normally use a 12 ft. straight ladder for access into a tree. I will cut from a ladder if I am tied in with my climbing line. I often like to tie the ladder to the branch as well. The hardest part of most climbs is the first 10 ft. off the ground.

Thanks all. I always do an undercut to prevent bark tear, I just never thought of using different techniques to affect how the limb falls.

Bermie said:
Hi Asa, Fi here
Gee, now I wonder where you got that information!!
She's right though, undercut with outboard top cut will allow a stripped chunk to fall flat. Lots of leaves and branches would hold up the tip and it would fall butt first.

Hi Fi!

Its amazing what education can do right hehe, now I got plenty of time on my hands to think about it!

Talking about using cuts to direct the fall, I'm putting all that education into practice now Asa!
I'm in the middle of a takedown, multiple branched casuarina,high on a bank right on the edge of a construction site, new pool, new house below. Today we had to rig a big overhanging branch, about 6m long, used the old directional sink cut free fall butt hitched for the tip. Turned the branch away from the site then it caught neatly on the butt hitch and smooth to the ground.
Then the rain came and we went home, got to finish tomorrow.
Oh yeah, there's a golf course on the other side, right by the #10 tee, I almost got beaned while up in the tree, how bad is that! They didn't tell us about golf balls in trees in school, @(*% maybe it's the golfers revenge on the arbs all the way from England!!

Back