Guys, don't get complacent out there!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dude, I think you just might be projecting a little bit. This is not a firearms issue. This is not a liberal vs. conservative political issue. This is a whineyness & bad assumption issue...one of assuming no one else could be possibly be so enlightened as you and must be spending their days worrying about PPE but otherwise running around under widowmakers, improperly felling trees at night while drunk issue and must therefore, because they are worrying about about PPE, be ignorant of all other things and that you must therefore wade into the fray and set them straight. Perhaps this is simply a disscussion arising from a near miss--the kind many of us have from time to time--that has involved both methods (see my first post in this thread) as well as PPE that might have resulted in less bruising arising from the type mistake that can get any of us, no matter how careful we are most of the time.

No one argues that practice habits are important as well, but it seems that when these issues come up, as sure as Old Faithful erupts forth its geyser, the firearms instructor types come out of the woodwork to create a liberal straw bogeyman and then paint those that are for PPE as unmanly since they did it different in firearms school. Again, this is not guns and the world is not a firing range.

I have worked in many environments where safety, both practice & precautions are paramount, from industrial sites to labs to ballistic test facilities to boomers to tactical training ranges. I've had plenty of gun training, tactical and basic, for offensive and defensive use, in places like Pensacola & Moyock. And while there are folks like Ed Brown & Mossad Ayoob who've forgotten more than I'll ever know, I'd venture to say that practice is more important in firearms than PPE. It's kind of silly to project this on political viewpoints, since it can easily be turned around the other way (e.g. conservative precautions-oriented practitioners vs. armchair liberal academics). Or maybe it's just that the those who can, do, those who can't...well they go pulling out their stories about what they did when teaching one thing or another unlrelated to the topic of discussion.

If I was in a place where arms were my tool, I'd wear a kevlar helmet and body armor. Or in a place where it was nomex and a fire helmet, And if someone came out to point out the obvious--that good habits of not-getting-shot were more important or avoiding being burned were the most important things, and that I sholdn't not worry too much aout having the best protective I would think them unusually obtuse, since for most of us, those things are kind of obvious.

If you think the safest things to do is to avoid dangerous situations where you might be imperfect in your actions, then you're right...that would be safest. Otherwise, if you're willing put on your metaphorical big-boy pants and undertake sometimes dangerous tasks and duties, then there's nothing wrong with trying to pick the absolutely best big-boy pants for you to do the job in. Otherwise, have the decency to thank those that do and have thkeep your mouth shut.

[Whew...what was I doing, and what is this soap box doing here?]

If anyone is interested in jpsheb's viewpoints then pop in at the Forestry & Logging Forum where you can read for yourself asking for advice and the arguing against everyone who posted a responce. jpsheb has now joined my ignore list though I doubt he will be here for very long. To the rest of you who understand the abstract I hope you read my last post. jpsheb I'm sorry you didn't get it.

If anyone is interested in jpsheb's viewpoints then pop in at the Forestry & Logging Forum where you can read for yourself asking for advice and the arguing against everyone who posted a responce. jpsheb has now joined my ignore list though I doubt he will be here for very long. To the rest of you who understand the abstract I hope you read my last post. jpsheb I'm sorry you didn't get it.

Welll, I guess I don't get it either. Maybe you can ignore me too? Whatever.

I've been watching this thread & and there alot of really good ideas, but with people like you on the site, I don't know about jpsheb, but I'm not too sure *I* want to be on here much longer.

Welll, I guess I don't get it either. Maybe you can ignore me too? Whatever.

I've been watching this thread & and there alot of really good ideas, but with people like you on the site, I don't know about jpsheb, but I'm not too sure *I* want to be on here much longer.

Brad, kudos on a fruitful topic! When it generates this many "likes" and even a bunch of "ignore", it's must have stirred the pot.

Last edited:
I felt it was unnecessary to chastise Brad, he knew what he did wrong, and at some point in time doing some task, we all fall short in either PPE/safety. I just finished changing out a breaker in a 480v panel, while it was hot. I had all the right PPE on, but one stupid move, and it's all over. Almost as nerve racking as dropping trees.

I've changed many 480 volt 3 phase motor starter buckets "live", no big deal.

WTF?

Put a sock in it.

I have to agree with Del here.Its time to put a sock in it. In all honesty, I really cant understand why anyone has taken the time or energy to knock Brad on any of this. He made some mistakes,sure. But we all have, at least I have in my time.I have been in a hurry, left out some PPE, or forgot it in the other truck and made the decision to continue work anyway. But really.Is there any further need to bash anyone over this?

After all, the title of this thread is "Guys, don't get complacent out there!!!", and there is little doubt in my mind that Brad meant the best in all this. He pointed out his mistakes for the entire world to see, gave us all a friendly reminder that something like this could happen to any one of us, and that should be the end of it.

Its kinda disappointing to see the bashing going on around here. Its hardly necessary. If you want to bash someone, run over to Spacemule's thread, "I got more cash than I know what to do with, help me be even more of an idiot by contributing to a worthless thread."

Oops. Guess I just bashed Spacemule. But unlike Brad, he deserves a good bashing once in awhile.

WTF?

Put a sock in it.

Take your own advice Del. You If don't like a thread, move on. I've watched your posts since joining this site last May and youve never had anything useful to add. But you post anyway. Never seen someone with so little to say make so many posts. Should have put you on the ignore list earlier.

You know, I read this site for quite a while (6-months or so) before I really started posting much and it was always frustrating to see what would start out as a really interesting thread, but would ultimately be hijacked by some poster who chime in with nothing to add but has to criticize and then a bunch of fools that chime in echoing it. And that's it...the thread's down the toilet.

This started out as a very good, useful thread--why do these threads like this end up devolving to the point where some posters have nothing to add but feel like they need to chime in anyway. Don't you people have real work to do? Well, I've said too much already. I guess I have to admire how some of you, like the OP, manage to ignore the BS & move on.

Maybe we should get back on topic. I thought the OP had already addressed how he would *do* things differently & moved on to PPE (helmets). Beyond that, in terms of PPE, this does seem like a good case study for head gear. . Since fortunately the only real helmet-testing experience I have is having a face-shield broken, all I can say is that I see the value in a durable face shield. As I am (like many others on this site) in the market, I'd really like to hear what the Brad eventually chooses to get.

It seems that buying one's first PPE is done with hesitation, but buying *replacement* PPE with gladness!

Last edited:
Have'nt posted in awhile, been busy. Was skimming over new posts and saw this. Thumbs up Brad for putting this out there. Most of us will stick up pics of our glorious escapades, but would not have the balls to show this.

Learning to fall timber is about like going thru your teenage years, you have to be at least a little lucky just to survive.

Don't know about this tree, but even with experience some trees are hard to figure the lean and they have to be cut with that in mind.
Ouch, Hope you're alright.

Glad you're OK Brad, Heal Quickly, Godspeed

The air was cool and the sky was gray,
I’ll grab the Husky and go out to play,
Angel of Death, go away,
Don’t make this my last day,

The tree was large and it had a twist,
My holding wood was sorely missed,
Angel of Death, softly kissed,
Put His hand upon my wrist,

I’ll get my wedges to control the fall,
I’ll be damned I’d better save my saw,
Angel of Death hit my jaw,
Can’t suspend Nature’s law,

My friends take a lesson from what I say,
If you become complacent you may pay,
Angel of Death, go away,
Thanks for giving me this day.

~joat

It seems that buying one's first PPE is done with hesitation, but buying *replacement* PPE with gladness!

Is this the thread for discussing PPE? Yes. This is Brad's thread and we should be glad he was able to read about his experience instead of seeing it in the Injuries and Fatalities forum. He knows he made mistakes, and learned from them. One of those mistakes was not wearing PPE. He is taking the steps to fix that mistake. I agree with those that want to keep this thread on track and minimize the lumps he has to take because he already learned his lesson

I was a little hesitant buying the PPE for woodcutting because of the price(simply because my wife is an accountant and therefore analyzes everything) but I eventually came to the mindset that spending $200 on safety gear is cheaper than the trip to the ER(which you may still need, but hopefully not bleeding as profusely). I remember buying my first Oakley safety glasses, my wife and my coworkers thought I was crazy, but in the end, they were comfortable so I wear them all the time and don't get irritated by them and take them off.

Nick

clear plastic visors are a waste of space, they get scratched quick-smart, sap and sticky debris splatters them, they're a hassle plain and simple, they turn into a hazy blurry mess no matter how "careful" you go, they're not suitable for chainsaw use out in the bush at all, wearing clear plastic visors in the bush is tyro stuff, they're the type of thing that's only any use for Joe Backyard spending a few minutes per year trimming pea-sticks in town. Don't fekk around with gimmicks, the proper visor setup is the proven no-nonsense flip-up steel-mesh type

Joat, thanks for that! I chuckled as soon as I saw you had written a poem. Then you nearly had me in tears, lol. They do say a concussion can make you emotional:)

Brad,

You're welcome. Your family and friends would miss you, so take that extra time, OK? Next time, get Nik to push the tree over.

Take care,

joat

Take your own advice Del. You If don't like a thread, move on. I've watched your posts since joining this site last May and youve never had anything useful to add. But you post anyway. Never seen someone with so little to say make so many posts. Should have put you on the ignore list earlier.

You know, I read this site for quite a while (6-months or so) before I really started posting much and it was always frustrating to see what would start out as a really interesting thread, but would ultimately be hijacked by some poster who chime in with nothing to add but has to criticize and then a bunch of fools that chime in echoing it. And that's it...the thread's down the toilet.

This started out as a very good, useful thread--why do these threads like this end up devolving to the point where some posters have nothing to add but feel like they need to chime in anyway. Don't you people have real work to do? Well, I've said too much already. I guess I have to admire how some of you, like the OP, manage to ignore the BS & move on.

We're sorry that we've upset your orderly little world. I'm sure we'll all try to do better in the future so that we won't upset you.

Or, then again, maybe we won't. Either way I'm sure you'll deal with it....you pretentious little snob.

Archeo and jpsheb are both the same person,at least they are posting from the same computer. Using Multiple ID's like this is not allowed,having a conversation with yourself,Well I will let you all decide if that is wacky or not.

Archeo and jpsheb are both the same person,at least they are posting from the same computer. Using Multiple ID's like this is not allowed,having a conversation with yourself,Well I will let you all decide if that is wacky or not.

Looks like a husband and wife. Check out their profiles.

Wow. That's a new one on me. I put both, er him/her, on my ignore list today. That's just wierd.

That's why I never believe a single AS pole. The lopsided ones are probably the same idiot voting over and over.

And back to Brad . . .

So, after the stitches get pulled, are you gonna have the rest of the logo tattooed on your scalp?

Philbert

attachment.php

Back