Had a Board moment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My old parts-source friend told me that his dad used to hand-hew railroad ties that way years ago, like back in the 30s - 40s, and he said that even 20-odd years ago or so he could walk the tracks north of town and could tell which ties his dad had made. They've all been switched out now to the pressure-treated creosote ties though. He still has his dad's old hewing ax hanging on the wall in his saw shop to this day. It was an interesting story to hear.

You're right though, it's a helluva lot of work & I can't imagine spending all day doing something like that. Though CSMing isn't a walk in the park either.

My old parts-source friend told me that his dad used to hand-hew railroad ties that way years ago, like back in the 30s - 40s, and he said that even 20-odd years ago or so he could walk the tracks north of town and could tell which ties his dad had made. They've all been switched out now to the pressure-treated creosote ties though. He still has his dad's old hewing ax hanging on the wall in his saw shop to this day. It was an interesting story to hear.

You're right though, it's a helluva lot of work & I can't imagine spending all day doing something like that. Though CSMing isn't a walk in the park either.

I have a hand-hew ax my Dad gave me. It has the offset handle. If you are right handed it's easy to swing. My problem is I'm a lefty. It's a wall hanger in my shop.

jerry-

I have a hand-hew ax my Dad gave me. It has the offset handle. If you are right handed it's easy to swing. My problem is I'm a lefty. It's a wall hanger in my shop.

jerry-

I have two of them, with the same problem!

Rob

Someone buy him a pair of shoes! I look at the lack of protective clothing people from other parts of the world do without and the numbers of injuries reported don't suprise me.

Someone buy him a pair of shoes! I look at the lack of protective clothing people from other parts of the world do without and the numbers of injuries reported don't suprise me.

The bare feet next to that really sharp blade made me squirm a bit. Especially with the distraction of people hanging around.

Back